outmoded expressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outmoded expressions

Was thinking 'bout the teenage slang etc we used to use.
    I remember when I was a little schoolboy there was all these hippies spouting 'Groovy' and 'Chill out' and I so didn't want to grow up into them.

When I was a teenage lad going pubs'n'clubs there was one expression that caused a lot of arguments ----- 'Stroll on'-----I know it sounds pretty harmless but have actually been in scraps myself over this: -

" who're you telling to stroll on mate? stroll on yourself instead!"

Then the pushing / shoving that leads rapidly to blows would start - I still don't know why this was seen as so insulting -- just a part of the culture at the time I suppose

Ring any bells?

(if not then stroll on!)

Re: outmoded expressions

My dad used to say 'stroll on' when I was a kid. I think he still uses the expression, but the meaning is more akin to 'You're havin' a laugh'.

For example:

"Dad, lets go up to Hamley's and get that toy they're advertising on the tele."

"Stroll on son!"

Comment

We used to call sweets 'spice'. In fact I still do ocassionaly. Yes, seems only yesterday I was going down the shop for a bag of spice, lol.

I also call chewing gum spidgey-gog.

I think these terms where quite local to my area.
      Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

When I was at one primary school if anyone wanted to show they didn't believe something they had just been told, they would stroke their chin & say "Chinny Winston" in a silly voice.

Very annoying, especially if it was something totally true just told them.

I never heard it anywhere else.

A few people I knew used used to call sweets toffees, I didn't comment as this was normally led to being wallopped.

I've heard chewing gum being called chuddy, especially after one of my friends sat in some at Alton Towers.
        Last edited by Richard1978; 10-08-2009, 18:01.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          When I was at one primary school if anyone wanted to show they didn't believe something they had just been told, they would stroke their chin & say "Chinny Winston" in a silly voice...
          Something similar is described here:

chinny reckon - Searching... - ODPS - Online Dictionary of Playground Slang

Comment

For us this was "Itchy Beard"
            Heather

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
              When I was at one primary school if anyone wanted to show they didn't believe something they had just been told, they would stroke their chin & say "Chinny Winston" in a silly voice.

Very annoying, especially if it was something totally true just told them.

I never heard it anywhere else.

A few people I knew used used to call sweets toffees, I didn't comment as this was normally led to being wallopped.

I've heard chewing gum being called chuddy, especially after one of my friends sat in some at Alton Towers.
              Similar to that... If you said something but you were disproved, whether it was true or not, you were 'necked'.

"I heard you were round the back of the bike sheds with Alison!"

"Yeah? Well, how could I have been when I was down the tuck shop with Nicky and Jamie, eh? Aaaahhh!!! You're NECKED!!!" Cue obligatory pulling the skin under the chin...
              Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Thanks, I've never heard of those expressions before.

Comment

Originally posted by ridski View Post
                  Similar to that... If you said something but you were disproved, whether it was true or not, you were 'necked'.

"I heard you were round the back of the bike sheds with Alison!"

"Yeah? Well, how could I have been when I was down the tuck shop with Nicky and Jamie, eh? Aaaahhh!!! You're NECKED!!!" Cue obligatory pulling the skin under the chin...
                  'necking' was something totally difernet of course
                  sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

We used to do the chin rubbing thing and to prove our disbelief at something we'd just been told, say "oh yeah, Jimmy Hill"

We also used to refer to each other as "Joey" and do that awful "tongue behind the botom lip thing". This was because there was a poor guy in the 80's called Joey Deacon who had some kind of disability - spina bifida or something. How AWFUL, thinking back! I think he shot to fame on Blue Peter or something.
                    "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
                    sigpic

Comment

My brother spent a good chuck of the 1980s doing that tounge under lower lip thing, often making a noise like Roland Rat with a serious brain injury, often when I did something stupid.

No mention of Joey Deacon though, I didn't who he was until a few monthy ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Teejay View Post
                        We used to do the chin rubbing thing and to prove our disbelief at something we'd just been told, say "oh yeah, Jimmy Hill"

We also used to refer to each other as "Joey" and do that awful "tongue behind the botom lip thing". This was because there was a poor guy in the 80's called Joey Deacon who had some kind of disability - spina bifida or something. How AWFUL, thinking back! I think he shot to fame on Blue Peter or something.
                        Snap

Yes Joey Deacon was on Blue Peter, I think they were probably trying to educate kids about disabilities but all they did was create a new insult.
                        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

The term "Gender-Bender" isn't used as much now (if at all) like it was in the early 80's.
                          What with Boy George, Marilyn and Pete Burns playing up on the airwaves it was always a good starting point for the tabloids.
                          I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

People where I'm from say, instead of 'It goes without saying' :
                            "There's no use in saying it !"

Comment

How about - 'Nice one Cyril'.

Remember that?

sigpic
                              'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Working...
                              X