ABBA Mania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABBA Mania

Just been to see the Abba Mania show tonight in Sunderland.

It was fantastic, anyone who's a fan of Abba and the show comes near to where you live go!

They looked like they really enjoyed themselves performing, and the singer who is Agnetha is a tremendous singer and performer, and Frida is much better looking than the original .

They started off with Waterloo dressed the same way as Abba's eurovision performance and did all the Abba classics. Best for me were The Winner Takes It All, Super Trouper, Take A Chance on Me and of course Dancing Queen.

Website and dates here ABBA MANIA - The Official West End Show
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Re: ABBA Mania

I looked down the tour dates and thought, yeah! They're coming to Cornwall! Then I looked at 'The Hall for Cornwall' venue and it seems I missed them. They came last week. I don't think their advertising could have been that great as I always keep my eye out for publicity on this sort of show and I saw nothing. Oh well.

ABBA are for me, like for many others, a quintessential part of my growing up. I especially like some of their less well known, album songs.

Comment

It wasn't publicised well here, there was still alarge audience though, I guess with Mamma Mia it's always going to be a poular show. I just spotted they're up here again in October at Newcastle, think I'll be going along to that

All the tracks they did were singles with the exception ofone which was a ballad from 1974 sung by "Agnetha" which was really good.

Comment

I saw them in my local theatre in June,they did put on a good show,They did dress like the originals with Waterloo the first track.
        Towards the end sort of a local school choir joined them and sang I have a dream,that was really nice

Comment

They had a kids choir on stage for Chiqiutita and I Have a Dream. One of the girls in the choir was absolutely bursting with excitement, she never stopped smiling and didn't want to leave the stage it was quite funny

Comment

I am going to see ABBA the show soon and i am so excitied.
            They will be the closest thing to ABBA.
            I saw ABBA Mania this year and wasnt all that impressed.
            I loved the song Agnetha sang, i had never heard it before.
            But i did feel it was rather cheesy and i got annoyed with there Bjorn kissing his muscles on his arms as the real Bjorn would never have done that.

Comment

I have now been to see ABBA THE SHOW. Well what can i say.
              If im being honest i actually enjoyed ABBA Mania more.
              ABBA THE SHOW sells itself on having original ABBA musicians play with them. Now we thought it would be a band of people but there were only 2 original members, that only come on for a couple of songs each!!
              The band behind the main 4 people were fantastic. Brilliant musicians. They didnt need the original members at all.
              When it came to the main 4, the boys were quite weak and the girls spent most of the time off stage getting changed.
              Also Frida sang Winner and that really annoyed me. Being a tribute i thought they would sing the songs the way the original band did.

Comment

I went to see Abba the show in cardiff the final show before xmas...it was brilliant. You would have missed out on a few xmas songs as well as happy new year. The show for what it was was excellent although like you said the annoyance that the brunette sang the winner takes it all instead of the blonde did irritate slightly. Also singing 2 songs in foreign even though its abbas native tongue just made the song drag. The band behind were excellent although a few guitar solos or drum solos were uncalled for. Intermezzo impressed me..i would have preferred to hear some songs that werent singles like "like an angel passing through my room" rather than ring ring...although i have a feeling the show caters for the newcomers after mamma mia the movie rather than longtime fans....still worth the money though.

Comment

"Gimme, Gimme, Gimme" was the first single I ever bought and I always considered ABBA to be a guilty pleasure and so did all my tough wee mates growing up together in Glasgow. Nobody admitted to liking Abba at the time but we still bought their records by the bucket load...and haven't stopped since! Long may it continue, their music is sublime.

Comment

I just missed out on Abba as a current group, but got to know a few of their better known songs in the 1980s.

In the 1990s there seemed to be 2-3 Abba revivals, & I got the chance to get into them a bit better. I've seen Mamma Mia the West End as well as the film.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

it grates on me though when you tell someone you like them and all they mention is stuff like dancing queen and mamma mia...they have never heard of half the songs. Was listening to the album "the visitors" in work and the visitors song was on, some fella was talking to his mate saying
                      "oooh this must be a remix of an abba song...i know my abba, no one knows abba more than me etc etc..(he said) it was a remix of Summer night city...some dj must have updated it for the kids today"

this bloke must have been early 30s...so i said...oh youve never heard this song before? and he was like no i never listen to the radio only old stuff... so i said have you heard of the album "the visitors"
                      Nah he said. ...i download all my stuff only stuff i like...

I said "i thought i heard you say you liked abba"
                      Aye he said...
                      so then why havent you got "the visitors"...

you know i stood there showing him my ipod of stuff he never heard of by abba...seems the album he had was of course...abba gold.

I dont think people really understand how underrated the album tracks truly are...to think that these guys wrote and composed the songs... how can someone say they like music without listening to "the way old friends do" or "Arrival" ...every year on NYE we play Happy new year instead of all the dance nonsense.

Comment

I've got the both the Abba Gold albums, the 2nd volume has quite a few lesser known songs.

The above reminds me of the time someone in my office though Phyisical was sung by Madonna, & it took a while to explain who Olivia Newton John is.

There is a link between the 2, if anyone can get it withouth too many degrees of seperation.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by scotchmist View Post
                          "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme" was the first single I ever bought and I always considered ABBA to be a guilty pleasure and so did all my tough wee mates growing up together in Glasgow. Nobody admitted to liking Abba at the time but we still bought their records by the bucket load...and haven't stopped since! Long may it continue, their music is sublime.

a lot people back in the late seventies and early eighties never liked to admit they liked abba.
                          ive only recently got into listening to them.

the two fellas benny and bjorn where more the writers of the songs where the girls agnetta and frida where the singers.
                          im sure retoaerosmith will put me right though.

on the album abba gold how manby of there songs where not on it.
                          in fact how many songs did they release.
                          where two of then not in a band together before they became abba.
                          i think its true.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                            I looked down the tour dates and thought, yeah! They're coming to Cornwall! Then I looked at 'The Hall for Cornwall' venue and it seems I missed them. They came last week. I don't think their advertising could have been that great as I always keep my eye out for publicity on this sort of show and I saw nothing. Oh well.

ABBA are for me, like for many others, a quintessential part of my growing up. I especially like some of their less well known, album songs.
                            loved the songs on the ABBA Arrival album

Comment

no surprise the girl was bursting with excitemet so would i have been.
                              here is Chiqiutita is this the one the girl was at mate.
                              http://youtu.be/pzdfPEsf7qY

when they sing they really sing from there hearts and there is so much feeling in there songs.
                              a lot of people only think of a few songs but every song is real good.

Originally posted by HG View Post
                              They had a kids choir on stage for Chiqiutita and I Have a Dream. One of the girls in the choir was absolutely bursting with excitement, she never stopped smiling and didn't want to leave the stage it was quite funny
                              Last edited by darren; 10-05-2012, 00:32.
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                              X