A Song for Europe - 'RAGS'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Song for Europe - 'RAGS'

Back in the 70s, 'A Song for Europe' - where the UK chose its entry for the Eurovision Song Contest - was big news. More so than these days. There were lots of great songs that never made it through, and after searching for a while, I found the one I'd been looking for.

It was 1977 and due to a strike, the contest wasn't televised. You could only hear it on the radio so you didn't get to see the great gimmick of a certain act. At one moment in the performance, the male singer pulled the skirts off the female singers. Hmm. I think someone tried that a few years later and became rather more famous for it!

'Promises, Promises' by Rags only came fourth that year but it deserved better. Listen and see if you agree.

YouTube - Rags: "Promises, Promises" (ESC UK NF 1977)

In their follow-up single they wore ragged capes and once again, at the appropriate time, pulled these costumes off to reveal glamour and sparkle beneath. If anyone could find a vid of that, I would be very happy!

Does anybody recall other Songs for Europe that never made the grade?
    Last edited by Marine Boy; 16-08-2009, 01:49.

Re: A Song for Europe - 'RAGS'

"Rock Bottom" by Lynsey De Paul and Mike Moran represented the UK in 1977 and came 9th at the concert held at Wembley.

I take it that you are referring to the heats. I remember "Rags" being featured on TOTP's and something about them doing well in a song contest in Europe (Not Eurovision tho).
    The ripping off of the capes remains in the memory but not in the pages of The Guiness Book of Hit Singles. Maybe the 2 girl, 1 boy combo reinvented themselves and became The Police!!?
    I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisredditch View Post
      ...I take it that you are referring to the heats. I remember "Rags" being featured on TOTP's and something about them doing well in a song contest in Europe (Not Eurovision tho)...
      Well they weren't heats exactly. Just a show, (or series of shows) where several - usually six - acts performed and the one with the most votes was the one that represented us in the Eurovision.

It's interesting that Rags went on to do well in another song contest that was not the Eurovision one.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisredditch View Post
        The ripping off of the capes remains in the memory but not in the pages of The Guiness Book of Hit Singles. Maybe the 2 girl, 1 boy combo reinvented themselves and became The Police!!?

Maybe cos its late, but I'm baffled by your last line Chris..pleeeease explain it

Dave
        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Working...
        X