Urban myths 70's onward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urban myths 70's onward

A common one in the seventies was ( always in the next town) that half an Alsatian dog had been found in the bins of a Chinese take-away

One in late eighties was - some girl gets on a plane after holiday and opens up the gift from her two week lover , then she screams in horror cos i's a little coffin with a note telling her she now has AIDS

I recall another one that applied to basically any gay singer - they collapse at a party and and get taken to hospital for stomach pump - contents of their belly was sperm from 17 different men

Every one of these myths was seriously repeated at work and in pubs etc and tut-tutted about

Anyone got any others to add here?

Re: Urban myths 70's onward

Levi's used to include a small Red tag, on their clothing, with "Levis" written on it.
    The myth was, if you collected 50 of these tags and sent them to Levis, they would send you a free pair of jeans!
    I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

I remember The Guardian used to print one a week in the Saturday Magazine in the early 1990s.

My parents got me a collected book of them one Xmas.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I'm still haunted by an episode of Rockliff(s'babies?), where a guy, having just slept with a woman, reads in lipstck on the mirror, "congratulations, you now have AIDS"
        He walks out the hotel starkers, distraught.
        Still haunts me.

Comment

Another biggie in mid eighties was about the police during the miners strike - allegedly some of them were actually soldiers undercover to beef up the police ranks; rubbish!
          We stood up against them as they charged with their poxy riot shields and the standard of army training (re unarmed combat ) must have slipped a long way if they really were soldiers. load of wimps
          "Easy lads , Easy ! we support you ourselves but we're not supposed to say it" They usually came out with this gem once we had them cornered away from their plod mates but if they then managed to regroup they gave it smug sneers while banging their truncheons again.

I think it was one of the few times when plod came up against a large bunch of physically fit hardened men instead of a few late night drunks and they couldn't cope at all

Comment

Working...
          X