Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Places of interest in the UK

Hi folks

Where in the UK have you been to on holiday or a short break,you really liked what did you see and do would you recomend this place or not?

30 years ago I went to Bournemouth on a working fortnight,but still managed to get to see things.The gardens in the square were colorful and pretty,it is a nice walk to the pier and beach,it was a really clean place.I remember they had yellow double decker buses.
    A few months ago was in Dorset this time I stayed in Poole,which is down the road from Bournemouth.Went on the boat trip to Brownsea Island just off poole harbour,it was so peaceful on this island no traffic or fumes.Didnt see many red squirrels had to be quick to spot them,there was a few peacocks,the noisiest was the cockerels.If you like to walk it is a good place for exploring the island,if it had been a sunny day then it would have been perfect,would like to go back one day I really enjoyed it there anyone else been there?

Re: Places of interest in the UK

Went to Sandown on the IOW - my missus and I really enjoyed it there, despite the distinct lack of pubs!

Skeggy - hate the place, had loads of bad luck there including the car breaking down on 2 seperate occassions, breaking my leg and a caravan full of maggots. Blackpool - too expensive and too busy (but a great Doctor Who museum).

Llandudno was nice, apart from the violent thunderstorm we had.

Personally I prefer the Yorkshire coast - places like Filey, Flamborough, Scarborough and good old Brid!
    Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Well, depending on where you are in the country and how much you don't mind travelling, West Cornwall - where I ended up living - is a great place to visit. Sandy, rolling coastline to the south, rugged rocky coast to the north. Amazing countryside, standing stones and ancient stone circles. Oh, and this wondrous place...

St. Michael's Mount

Comment

Nice picture of St Michaels Mount MB

Been to Blackpool a few times can be expensive,liked the tower,went back last year there were a few new things I hadn,t seen previous.

Sealife was good I love fish and aquariums,been to the one in Birmingham also Oceanarium in Bournemouth when I visited Poole a few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
          ...Sealife was good I love fish and aquariums...
          Another good reason to come to Cornwall. Newquay has a big aquarium and down here in the far west of the county you can take boat trips to see dolphins and basking sharks.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
            Another good reason to come to Cornwall. Newquay has a big aquarium and down here in the far west of the county you can take boat trips to see dolphins and basking sharks.
            Would love to visit Cornwall one day MB

Been to Torquay about 26 years ago loved the boat trip to Brixham,pretty fishing village,went to Torquay by train nice scenic route

Weston Super Mare on a sunday school trip havent been back since,don,t want to really

Minehead Butlins 1979 not a lot there was a quiet place though small town and market,saw Joan Collins film The Bitch there

Comment

My Gran kept a caravan at Wells Next The Sea from 1982 to 2000.

Almost every year me & my family went there for a week in the summer, lots of good memories of those times.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Went to Dover castle as a kid also Canterbury Cathedral
                Hythe and Dymchurch miniture railway was good

Comment

I used to visit Harlech in North Wales quite regularly in the late 80s and early 90s. My girlfriends (or wife as she now is) gran lived there. If you got the weather it was great. There's the castle and portmeirion (where The Prisoner was filmed) close by to visit. It's the only place i've ever got sunstroke. Was caught out because it was a breezy day.
                  "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Thing is though , I think a bit of distance away from your locale is what makes things stand out in peoples memories.. . .
                    I.E. i live on the coast in the west of lake district and all summer you can't move for people coming to either do the Wainwright walks or just gaze at the scenery - but to me its just same old thats been there all my life.

however I was over in Peak District once in early seventies for a camping trip and it still sticks in my head how amazing the scenery was. I suppose to the locals there it was everyday ho-hum.

Same thing when I lived for a very short while just outside Cambridge - I constantly marvelled at the flatness of the landscape - where had all the hills gone?

Comment

Rhossili Bay on the Gower Peninsula is a nice peaceful tranquil place if you like that sort of thing,beautiful scenery on a nice sunny day.

Tenby west wales for beaches and scenery,caldey island just off Tenby,where the monks live.You can have a boat trip to the island went there a long time ago.

Haven,t been to north wales,but would love to visit portmeirion little italy as they call it

Comment

I can't recommend Cornwall highly enough.

I've lived here 23 years and never take the beautiful scenery for granted.
                        sigpic
                        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

MB and Kazboot - do you both get a commission from the Cornish Tourist Information Board or what?
                          Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiop View Post
                            MB and Kazboot - do you both get a commission from the Cornish Tourist Information Board or what?
                            No, but I think we should don't you?
                            sigpic
                            'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Working...
                            X