Scratch and Sniff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch and Sniff

I used to love scratch and sniff stickers. Banana was the best and pineapple wasn't too bad either! But I still remember how revolting the Pizza one was. I covered my homework diary in them.

I had a banana scratch and sniff t-shirt too!! What a rip-off. One wash and it stunk of Persil, not bananas!!

I used to collect smelly pencil rubbers too. Oh and smelly pens and pencils. I think i had a slight obsession with smells when I was at school lol!

Re: Scratch and Sniff

Peter Tosh's Bush Doctor album had a scratch and sniff record label.
    "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

I remember one year for Children In Need a scratch & sniff booklet was produced, & for some shows viewers were instructed to try a certain one at the right moment. My sister thought some of the smells were revolting.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember one year for Children In Need a scratch & sniff booklet was produced, & for some shows viewers were instructed to try a certain one at the right moment. My sister thought some of the smells were revolting.
        Yeah, that I remember. Smell-o-rama I think it was, back in 1995.

Comment

Originally posted by wispa lover View Post
          Yeah, that I remember. Smell-o-rama I think it was, back in 1995.
          I remember it had a nose mascot called Pongo.

Comment

I remember the Gordy stickers back in the 80's. They had the most pungent stickers like skunk,garbage,bad breath,zoo, etc. LOL I still have some of my originals. They also had pleasent ones like fruit smells, rose too.
            I'd rather hear the bad truth than a good lie

Comment

I remember a scratch & sniff card with various colours on packaged with one of those text adventure games for computers where you had to type in what you wanted to do next back in the 80's. There was a bit in the game where you discover a brown lump on the ground and it said scratch and sniff brown on the card. Pleasantly, it smelled of chocolate.
              Also in the 80's, I remember Ade Edmondson's book "How to be a complete B*stard" had a scratch & sniff back cover which was picture of the back of him with a fart cloud emanating from his bottom. Pleasantly, it wasn't really scratch & sniff and so smelled of nothing.

Comment

This really tried to take off in the '80s; along with 3D broadcasts of films on ITV on a Saturday.

I remember a TV special about scratch and sniff, TV Times gave away the special card with the different scents on them. My friend and I rubbed it raw before the broadcast, convinced that every smell was little more than cheap Avon or Yardley perfume (I'm sure you'll remember the awful TV adverts for those mustard gas fragrances every Xmas in the '80s).
                The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
                Marcel Proust

Comment

I remember the ad for White Satin, from Yardley.

This seemed to be the same print used for years, so it looked even grainier than most 1970s ads made on 16mm film. It used The Moody Blues's song of the same name as a soundtrack.

Interestingly Yardley is a district of Birmingham (though the company is based on Bond Street), and the Moody Blues are from Birmingham as well.

Comment

Scratch and Sniff t-shirts ! I had one of those when I was 6 of 7 years old. Think it just had fruit picture on the front; an orange, banana + some others. Anybody have a picture/advert of the t-shirt or something very similar?

Comment

lol cant believe i had a lemon scratch and sniff t shirt and as pantherpink says ,one wash and it (STUNK :-)OF PERSIL) Brilliant that made me crack up

Comment

John Waters' film 'Polyester' features "Odorama", whereby viewers could smell what they saw on screen through scratch and sniff cards handed to them in the cinema. The first video release had the cards too. Numbers flashed up on screen and could be seen through 3D glasses and you scratched the relevent number on your card. The scents included flowers, pizza, glue, gas, grass, and feces!!!! John Waters is a film making God imho!!!!
                        Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

I remember these very well the stickers were a major playground craze at my school in the early 80's

Comment

When I was at junior school we all went on a trip somewhere - I can't remember exactly where - but it must have had something to do with gas (maybe a gasworks or some kind of gas appliance museum), because we watched a presentation and then we were all given a piece of card to take away with us which was a scratch and sniff card which smelt of gas.
                            "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Originally posted by pantherpink View Post
                              I used to collect smelly pencil rubbers too. Oh and smelly pens and pencils. I think i had a slight obsession with smells when I was at school lol!
                              I can remember one of those smelly rubbers been the shape of a Swiss Roll, it smelt absolutely gorgeous.
                              Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

Working...
                              X