This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Exorcist

Apologies if there's already a thread on this film - I did 'search' but it said no matches found
    I remember going to see The Exorcist and there was nuns standing by the queues pointing out to the cinema people any kids that they knew ( from local Catholic schools) who were under age to see the film.

Also they were handing out little cards with a helpline number ( in case you were spiritually disturbed by the film ) on one side of the card and a prayer for your immortal soul on the other side

Needless to say this really set me into the right mood for watching a creepy ,scary movie " great" I thought, and really enjoyed it all.

Me and mates ended in the pub and at the end of the night I had to walk a couple of hundred yards alone in the dark past this park full of trees with like waving about branches - at that point I found myself really wishing there was enough light to read the little prayer!

Re: The Exorcist

My Dad remembers that some cinemas wouldn't show this or the other "nasty" films around at that time, but there wasn't any consistancy to it.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I've got the "version you've never seen" on dvd, with the infamous "spider walk". Mark Kermode is always banging on about this film.
      I'm not sure. Is it that good?

Comment

Full of special effects and gimmicks.
        As usual, the book is better. The film has a basic story and is aimed at the lowest common denomenator. Lots of better Horror films doing the rounds.
        I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

"Your mother sucks lollipops in Bournemouth", is what Satan just said!
          OOOhhh! That is not exceptable, I do think we should have exorcists on the NHS.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash Gordon View Post
            I've got the "version you've never seen" on dvd, with the infamous "spider walk". Mark Kermode is always banging on about this film.
            I'm not sure. Is it that good?
            I've got that version too. Thinking about that spider walk bit is giving me the willies. Aaaaargh! Too weird!! Not cos I don't like spiders (I have a tarantula as a pet) but because the human body is not meant to do that and it weirds me out BIG STYLE! :cry:
            "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
            sigpic

Comment

Yep, that's the idea!
              Teejay, my friend keeps showing me his scorpions: naturally flourescent in the dark.
              Would I like to hold them? Ummm...no.

Comment

Hi Flash,

I went to the zoo recently and they had a Giant Cockroach which I held. It was pretty nasty. Especially when the guy said "I'll just get that before it goes in your hair" I have a lot of hair and the thought of it in there weirded me out. The cockroach fell off and I screamed the place down! LOL!!

Anyone outside would have thought there was an exorcism going on in there! Have you seen The Exorcism Of Emily Rose? That scared the bejesus out of me and for 2 years I was frightened to go in my hallway on my own in case she was there!! I was 32 when I saw it!! LOL!

I hate films about the devil, it scares me to death!!!
                "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
                sigpic

Comment

No need to be scared of the devil, Teejay, he's just a metaphor.
                  Not sure if i've seen Emilly Rose- is that the one with the court case?Tom Wilkinson(Full Monty?)
                  Think I've seen footage of those giant cockroaches. Good source of protein!

Comment

The best use of a crucifix in cinema. Ever.

I'm an atheist, and don't believe in the paranormal (I'd love to, believe me, but I'm still waiting on the evidence...). However, this film scares even me; especially the brief, almost subliminal flashes of the Captain Howdy faces in the film, and the looming Pazuzu figure behind the door later into the film.

Not quite as unsettling as BBC's Ghost Watch, but superb nonetheless.

Also; I appreciate the way in which there is no real 'happy ending'; good does not prevail per se, and evil is considered as a potent force in itself; very much in keeping with the Dennis Wheatley ideals.
                    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
                    Marcel Proust

Comment

But didn't they all crack a joke at the end and have a good old laugh just before the credits rolled?

Comment

But didn't they all crack a joke at the end and have a good old laugh just before the credits rolled?
                        Sounds like the end of any series one ( with Capt Kirk ) episode of Star Trek

Comment

Absolutely, always end on a gag!
                          If I remember correctly, they survey the pools of projectile vomit, look at one another with a knowing, joshing countenance and say,"That will be a devil to clear up!!"
                          "Ho ho ho!" they all chuckle.
                          Then they all high five and go home for tea.
                          That's right isn't it?

Comment

Absolutely, always end on a gag!
                            If I remember correctly, they survey the pools of projectile vomit, look at one another with a knowing, joshing countenance and say,"That will be a devil to clear up!!"
                            "Ho ho ho!" they all chuckle.
                            Then they all high five and go home for tea.
                            That's right isn't it?
                            Uncanny!
                            We must have saw the same episodes in the same sequence cos that is exactly how I remember this as well

Comment

I remember that version.

Pazuzu turns up, after the credits, dressed as Abraham Lincoln, and does some magic tricks involving cats and string. I think Paul Daniels may have been involved, as well as some bacon.

(actually, that would be hilarious, ending The Exorcist like the episodes of Police Squad, with the main actors 'frozen', and things still going on about them)
                              The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
                              Marcel Proust

Comment

Working...
                              X