Being a child at your parents' parties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being a child at your parents' parties

My mum and dad would sometimes have dinner parties or less formal 'friends round for drinks'. As a kid I would listen from my bedroom to the music and laughter downstairs. Somtimes I would risk going to see if there was any food I could grab. If spotted by one of my parents' friends there would usually be a fuss made over me and I would then make a quick exit.

As I got older, I was sometimes included and could stay downstairs for an hour or so. I recall a fondue party where my dad had decided to do the whole thing 'properly' and rigged up a very low table that we all sat around on cushions. One person got up to reach over for something, lost her balance and put her bare foot, (she'd slipped off her shoes), into the salad bowl. I can conjour up the helpless laughter even today.

Does anyone else have memories of being a child and going to adult parties?
    Last edited by Marine Boy; 27-09-2009, 14:55.

Re: Being a child at your parents' parties

My parents never had parties. The only thing they ever had was rows. And lots of them.
    Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

I was usually allowed to stay up for a little while if we had visitors.Dunno about parties,can't remember if we had them,if we did,I was shipped off to gran and grandpa's.

tulip

Comment

I remember them all right!
        They'd start of like a normal night but you got sent up a bit sooner cos "We're having company"

If you came back down for anything the parents were really polite to you until you were back at bottom of stairs and out of earshot - then it was a hissed warning to go up, settle down and do not dare come down again.

I used to lie there wondering why it got louder and louder with big bouts of laughter, always thought I was missing out on something really cool.

In the morning there was big piles of glasses and plates all over the place and you had to be quiet yet again cos mam and dad were both 'ill'

Comment

My parents often had "guests" round, but not parties as such. I hated them having people over - They used to make me and my sister go and say hello... "ah haven't you grown" " I remember when you were this big" blah blah blah. Hated it hated it hated it.

Mum used to have a tiered crisps/nuts tray that came out for such special occasions. I thought it was pretty cool at the time, it was very plastic, very purple and very 70's. It had a long handle through the middle sticking upright, with little round trays that would rotate out, and at the bottom was a large round base with 3 sections which mum put Quality Streets in!

My bedroom was right above the lounge and i used to get soooo angry at the loud laughter, I could never sleep, so i used to jump up and down in my room until the chandelier downstairs started rattling and they got the hint!!

The next morning I used to eat stale leftover crisps for brekkie! there was never any quality streets left though

Comment

LOL. My memories are almost identical to Pantherpink's.
            we too had the fancy three tiered bowl that only came out on special occasions

Comment

Ahh,ours were stainless steel and flat with 2 or 4 sections.On reflection,I must have been about for some parties,I remember the food.Crisps,nut etc in those dishes,cheese and pickle hedgehogs etc

tulip

Comment

Mine would usually have parties at the workingmen's club they ran, until my dad died, then we started having them at home. It was quite boring until someone had the great idea to let me 'tend bar'. Me and a friend would serve people drinks over the massive breakfast bar that went from the kitchen to the living room, so everyone would come in, hand us the booze then party in the living room. This started when we were about 12, but went on until we were 16/17. One night, when we were about 14, my sister told us to try a vodka and orange, and thus began a slo0w and steady decline into alcoholism...

Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

I dont remember my parents having many parties, but the one time that sticks out in my mind is because my auntie and uncle had brought my cousins over because they couldn't get a baby sitter.

I was fuming when I was sent off up to bed and my cousin who was a whole 8 months( its such a big difference aged 8) younger than me was still downstairs while i was stuck in bed"

I can still hear my mums promises of they'll be going soon, and her saying "they cant very well go to bed here now can they?"

oh the humiliation!!
                  Heather

Comment

I was always sweetened up with being allowed to eat some of the party food for my tea before people arrived then the usual polite hello when you're in your pajamas all clean and angelic ha ha. Then whisked off upstairs.

I remember spending new years eve 1989 in my parents bedroom watching cilla black on tv, eating quality streets. Saddest thing is that that probably wasn't my worst new year!

Comment

My parents always had parties in our house,usually on a saturday night. Everyones kids would come to our house and sleep over with us. We would take it in turns to run down the stairs and bang on the door to draw attention to ourselves and peep round the door at everyone. How annoying we were. My mum would creep up the stairs and bring us food and lemonade. I can still hear the voices and laughter and sounds of boney M and rose royce drifting up the stairs. lol

Comment

I can remember being made to go to bed early when my parents had a party when I was young.

At least when I could stay up later, about that time we had a 2nd TV so I would watch that or use it as a computer monitor.

The first time I remember being allowed to stay up late for a party at home was for my Dad's 40th party, when we seemed to invited almost all close friends so it was standing room only inside.

Always a good thing after a party would be lots of left-overs.

Up until I moved out my parents seemed to have parties that went on very late, one I remember went on until 3 in the morning.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember my parents having parties. My Mum would bring out the good dishes, such as a stainless steel platter for the sandwiches, and various brightly coloured bowls for nuts and crisps. The Babycham and sherry would be in full flow for the women, while I remember the tins of lager with pictures of women on them (possibly Tennants) for the men. My sister and I would always try and be allowed to stay up, by pestering everyone - surprisingly we were rewarded for our efforts one time, and my Mum gave us each a Tom & Jerry Pencil case with stationary, to try and keep us quiet.

My Mum was a Tupperware rep, so would hold those parties too quite alot - happy times :0)

Comment

Aw man those were the days. I used to nick the little cocktail sticks which were like transparent multicoloured swords for picking up pickles and cheese cubes with
                            01-811-8055 - Swap Shop

Comment

I remember getting those plastic swords or umbrellas in glasses of coke in a pub with a lemon slice & ice.

I used to keep them as they were almost the right size for Star Wars figures to use.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X