Scrumping for apples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrumping for apples

looking back at doing this it was actually theft but back then it was just part of the routine life of any self respecting kid.

Spotting an apple tree with small apples growing on it and keeping a watchful eye for a few weeks till they were big enough for "the midnight raiders" (about ten past eight at night before you got called in ) to carry out the raid.
    Little sisters / brothers keeping a look out while you all got over the fence/wall and then all scarpering to the rendevouz to share out the jumper-fulls from the giggling gang.

Mentioned this not long ago to little uns and got the 'are you mad?' look, "They're only apples so why bother?"

Re: Scrumping for apples

Ahhhh, the delights of Oggy Raiding!

"Clear off out of my garden!"
    "I know your parents!"
    "Theiving ********!!!"
    "When I get my hands on you etc etc"

Takes me back to a more innocent time, trespassing and stealing peoples apples!

Also, did any one else have the rumours of the weird old bloke who lived alone and injected his apples with laxatives or poison just for kids to steal, eat and fall ill?
    Quick... Run... Hide... Here comes Dave Stewart, walking up the drive, with that look in his eye!

Comment

Perfect description, Danny

Comment

Also, did any one else have the rumours of the weird old bloke who lived alone and injected his apples with laxatives or poison just for kids to steal, eat and fall ill?[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, we had one in our road. Also had one who would shoot a shotgun full of salt at you if he caught you on his land!

Comment

Originally posted by Gothic View Post
          Also, did any one else have the rumours of the weird old bloke who lived alone and injected his apples with laxatives or poison just for kids to steal, eat and fall ill?
          We always believed he went out and dug little traps with sharpened spikes around the trees so you had to tread very carefully and always put your feet back in your old footprints when you got back down with your booty.

And this was believed totally - right throughout your entire being - as you did at that age
          Last edited by Danny; 30-09-2009, 12:01. Reason: spelling

Comment

Yes I was usually the lookout for my brother and his mates (didn't dare do it myself!)
            Same with 'Knock Up Ginger', I just used to run away with them, but never knocked on the doors myself (what a wuss!)
            sigpic
            'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Working...
            X