Dyr & electric dreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyr & electric dreams

Who watched electrc dreams last night ?(not the film with the sad little computer, this was part 1 of a 3 part series), it was on at nine on BBC4 -up against crimewatch and CSI Miami so probably it didn't get many viewers.

Basic premise of the prog was the hoary old '1970's family', they stuck a family in a house with like 1971 only stuff in it and let them get on with it fly-on-the-wall style.

However the programme went right through the seventies which meant, for these people, every day a year had passed & they got more hi-tech in their lifetstyle.

I.e. it got to 1976 and the technical team took away the B&W telly and gave them a colour cos that was the year when colour licences passed B&W for the first time in UK.
    The kids were , as usual in progs like this, appalled at no mobiles or internet and they had to play with toys of the time while their mother cooked food of the time.
    It got to 77 and they found themsleves with Atari playing pong , Dad got to his office in 1979 (it was filmed last winter and thick snow earlier so he couldn't) and found the team had beaten him to it, his modern PC and desk phone had gone so he had this monster Commodore Pro with a really small screen to work with - and all the programmes were on tape so he had to load up for hours!

I spent a lot of time sighing with nostalgia while wife looked up from her boook and shook her head at me.

Next episode is the eighties and then onto nineties so I can't wait.

One thing that was noted by the kids on the programme was how much freedom their 1970's counterparts must have had and they seemed really envious of this

Re: Dyr & electric dreams

Thanks for this Danny, i hadn't heard about this series. I hastily checked the BBC iplayer and it's there BBC iPlayer - Electric Dreams: 1970s.

Will be a definite watch tonight when I get home.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

And here's the spiel from I-player...

A family and their home are stripped of all their modern technology to live a life of decades past.

The family must live through the digital wilderness of the 1970s at a rate of a year per day, starting in 1970. They have their very own technical support team to source and supply them with the vintage technology that would have been available to British households during the decade.

By modern standards the 1970s are decidedly low-tech and the family face many challenges. They endure a spell without central heating and get to grips with the suburban favourite, the teasmade. They see the effects of 70s industrial unrest on their home when they experience a power cut and home entertainment becomes even more limited when their newly-arrived colour television breaks down.

But it's not all grim - the arrival of chopper bikes, the first video game and a mix tape expert who shows them how to create the soundtrack for their very own slide show all help to prove that life in the 1970s had its upside too.
      Broadcast on:BBC Four, 12:50am Wednesday 30th September 2009 Duration: 60 minutes Available until: 9:59pm Tuesday 20th October 2009

Comment

Thanks for this Danny!
        I didn't see this either and it's a must see for me as a 70s girl.
        I will watch it on iplayer as soon as poss.
        sigpic
        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Yes - this looks cool. Thanks Danny. I assume this will also be on Virgin catch-up?

When is the next episode broadcast? Is it a weekly thing?

Cheers
          Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Soz K . I got no idea if its on Virgin.

Heres a little look at some of the items I watched - from BBC website

BBC - Electric Dreams - Gadgets of the 70s

Comment

Hi, not at home at the moment, so I can't check catch-up, but it will deffo be on Virgin channel 101(BBC 1) and press red button for BBCi
              Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
              <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

Re: Dyr &amp; electric dreams

Was just wondering if this was about the same programme? it seems very likely...

https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/m...ravellers.html

Comment

Just watched this, fantastic programme.

There is a website to go with it BBC - Electric Dreams - Home Page
                  The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

My friend told me about it.Watched it,loved it!

tulip

Comment

Watched the final one last night that was set in the nineties.

The tech team were continually fetching new technology to the house, it made you realise how quick things change nowadays.

What did stick in my mind was that the kids on it seemed to prefer the family closeness that happened in the ( simulated ) seventies/eighties whereas now they sit surfing & texting etc with little parent/child conversation.

I remember my Dad used to turn off the telly when a visitor came into the house and we then all took part in a general chit-chat . . . just wouldn't happen now

Comment

watched the 70's & 80's ones....family all doing things together, parents really noticed that. Once the microwave meals came in, they (we?) all started living separate lives :cry:
                        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Working...
                        X