PDA

View Full Version : School Rules

Richard1978
15-10-2009, 23:12
Can anyone remember any school rules that seemed to only be in force at one school?

Sometimes they can produce funny looks when comparing school memories with people who went to different schools.

Ones I remember:

One of the primary schools had a rule that crisps couldn't be eaten at middle break (lunchtime). I guess this was to stop pupils snacking instead of having a full dinner, but this was never spelt out loud.

At seemingly random times it was forbidden at the same school to go behind a mobile classroom at breaks, though this didn't stop some pupils.

At one primary we had to walk on the left hand side of the corridor, but at secondary were had to walk on the right.

When I was at secondary school the head had changed in the year I started, so many rules were changed over the time I was there, which sometimes made it hard to keep up with them.

One thing phased out was the 2 school buildings being the upper & lower schools.

Originally in the upper school building each school year based there had it's own set of girls toilets, (for some reason the boys ones were shared) & in theory the girls from the other school years would have had to cross back to the other building, so that rule was quickly dropped, though the nameplates were still in place even when I left 4 years later.

Solo
15-10-2009, 23:26
At my primary school, you weren't allowed to tie your school jumpers round your waist.

During milk break, we had to turn our chairs away from the table to drink it.

There was only so much of the school playing field we were allowed to go on - the furthest part away from the buildings was out of bounds. Weirdly enough there wasn't a physical barrier stopping us from going on it, but I guess kids had respect (fear?? haha) at that time!

Secondary school - standing up when a teacher walked into the room (even if it wasn't your teacher, just one come to pass a message on or something)

We always had to walk on the left on the stairs and I still do it to this day, it makes me feel really weird if someone is coming towards me on the same side!

I'm sure I'll think of some more!

Marine Boy
15-10-2009, 23:28
I have some similar memories of secondary school. There were two staircases; one was suppose to be used for going up and the other for going down. This was a reasonable enough rule, especially at busy times. However, if you used the 'up' staircase to travel 'down', or vice-versa, the penalty was always overly severe. I think one boy was suspended for the rest of the week!

Heather74
15-10-2009, 23:30
rules are one thing that have changed big time over the years, back when we were kids they were made up of a big list of DONTS,these days it DO be kind, DO be gentle etc,

also things like sports days you were encouraged to win and got rewarded for doing so, now its "The taking part that counts" and every single kid gets a medal for "trying" ....sod that , run for the flippin finish line!!!!! :D

Marine Boy
15-10-2009, 23:34
...things like sports days you were encouraged to win and got rewarded for doing so, now its "The taking part that counts" and every single kid gets a medal for "trying" ....sod that , run for the flippin finish line!!!!! :D

Yeh, I know what you mean. But on the other hand, at the primary school where I work, we adopt the 'give everyone a prize' approach and it's wonderful to see the non-sporty kids get some kind of recognition.

Heather74
15-10-2009, 23:35
;) dont get me wrong I was the kid who was always picked last when it came to sports, so I do appreciate that side to it

Marine Boy
15-10-2009, 23:47
;) dont get me wrong I was the kid who was always picked last when it came to sports, so I do appreciate that side to it

Oh, that 'nominated captains choosing teams' thing where you were the last one to be picked. Hey, that was me too. I'm sure you know this one, Huggie...

YouTube - Janis Ian - At Seventeen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efHOIT1ROk8)

Richard1978
16-10-2009, 13:28
I have some similar memories of secondary school. There were two staircases; one was suppose to be used for going up and the other for going down. This was a reasonable enough rule, especially at busy times. However, if you used the 'up' staircase to travel 'down', or vice-versa, the penalty was always overly severe. I think one boy was suspended for the rest of the week!

My secondary school tried that in one building for about half a week, but hardly anyone followed it.

It was tricky if you had classes at one end of the school on different floors, but the correct staircase was at the other end.

After 2-3 days it was abandoned.

amethyst
18-10-2009, 08:42
Primary School

All the class stand up when a member of staff enters the room,all have to say good morning or afternoon to your teacher.
Put your hand up if you wanted to be excused from classroom
No running in corridors
Wait for the school bell before leaving the classroom
Spelling tests once a week if you had over 16 out of 20 you could go outside and play rounders,if you had less than 16 had to stay in class and do lines:(

No chewing in classroom if you were caught,then you would have to stand outside the classroom,until the lesson was over:o

Disco Duck
18-10-2009, 11:30
I remember being at primary school and one if the rules were.......You were not allowed to have a sweetie in class unless you had enough to go round.

So...if you were caught eating a sweetie, teacher said "come up here and spit it into the bin, your not allowed to eat them unless you have enough for the rest of class."

Another one was......When it was icy, not being allowed to make a slide (but we did anyway ;))

Marine Boy
18-10-2009, 12:19
How about not being allowed to cough or sneeze during prayers in assembly. Although, that rule was more ridiculous than strange.

Palazzo
18-10-2009, 14:28
Some of the rules in my secondary school really got on my nerves, it got to a point where I genuinely believed the heads of year would sit in their offices for hours on end just thinking up what rules they could enforce next. I remember my total disgust in assembly one morning when it was announced that ties had to be to a specific length, down to the waist, no little and no less. This came after the rule that you couldn't wear a coat inside school at any time, if you were walking into any part of the school you had to remove your coat or a severe bollocking would be on the cards.

Thinking back it amazes me just how angry one teacher in particular would get about the coat rule. If you were lining up outside a classroom ready to be allowed in for a lesson and were wearing a coat, this one fella would go absolutely berserk. He was actually a pretty decent bloke once he was actually inside a classroom and teaching, just that when walking around the school he was a real disciplinarian.

We also had a one way system for making your way around the school, understandable when hordes of children are pushing and shoving after lunch to get to class, not so much if its one or two people being told to go right around the school just to get to the front office. I still have the voices of teachers bellowing "ONE WAY SYSTEM!" ringing in my ears.

The school clamped down on eating outside which was a real pain. There was one teacher who would appear from seemingly nowhere and pull you aside, carefully taking your name, year and form number down on a pocket notepad. Eating a packet of McCoys and a carton of Ribena was like mission impossible, it required such skill and awareness of surroundings it was unbelievable. Finishing a packed lunch never felt so satisfying.

Marine Boy
18-10-2009, 15:17
In primary, we had a new block built which included changing rooms. A rule was introduced in fifth year, (now Year 7 - we did an extra year at primary, don't recall why,) where you had to bring a towel on days when you had games and all the boys had to shower. Few of us wanted to so didn't bring a towel and thus could not shower, so the rule was not enforced.

But showering after games in secondary was enforced, and many of us used to think it was a bit weird how one games master used to stand over you till you were completely undressed and in the shower.

If you got to the changing rooms before the teacher, you could wet your hair and insist, "Look sir, I did have a shower!"

Richard1978
18-10-2009, 22:59
I remember hardly bothering with showers after games, mainly because the teachers hardly bothered to enforce it, & the weight of carrying a towel around. Also I always seemed to have most games lessons at the end of the day, so I could use the excuse that I would shower when I got home.

80sChav
01-07-2011, 17:39
How about not being allowed to keep your Coat on in Class even if it was frezing?! Not being allowed to wear a Football Shirt under your school Shirt as a T-Shirt too!!? Crazy!

Trickyvee
01-07-2011, 18:14
I sometimes wondered why we had a playground and field because there were so many bits of it that we weren't allowed on at certain times. We had a swimming pool in a building at the top of the yard and I can still here the teachers yelling "DON'T GO ROUND THE BACK OF THE SWIMMING POOL!" like we'd be sucked into parallel universe if we did. There was nothing behind it except a bit of grass and the school fence.

sf1378
01-07-2011, 23:07
At a private school my Mum sent me to in preparation for the entrance exam into Prep school there was a rule that even in Winter boys had to wear shorts with their uniform - I froze one Winter and Mum was so incensed that she let me wear long trousers the next day. The teacher, a right old bag had a go at Mum and Mum being Mum had a go right back. She didn't back down and yep, I went in all Winter in long trews. Funnily, the other boys also started coming in the same after that but and the rule was changed. None of the other Mums thanked my Mum for helping to scrap that rule as to tell the truth I was one of the few Asian kids there. Mum sensed the prejudice and it was slowly dawning on me that colour was an issue to some people - I was only 6 or 7....

Then at Secondary School we couldn't go near the Rose Gardens, on the games field, go over by the hedge adjoining the local secondary school, couldn't venture near the junior school that was part of the whole school, couldn't be inside during break times...basically you couldn't fart for fear of annoying the officious prats who taught there. Hated school, hated my teachers. Still do and I'm v v v glad it closed down.

sf1378
01-07-2011, 23:14
Primary School

All the class stand up when a member of staff enters the room,all have to say good morning or afternoon to your teacher.
Put your hand up if you wanted to be excused from classroom
No running in corridors
Wait for the school bell before leaving the classroom
Spelling tests once a week if you had over 16 out of 20 you could go outside and play rounders,if you had less than 16 had to stay in class and do lines:(

No chewing in classroom if you were caught,then you would have to stand outside the classroom,until the lesson was over:o

That also reminds me of the rules at secondary School....ugh.

FLYING SAUCER
02-07-2011, 00:22
NO LEATHER JACKETS!:-

I was given a nice smart little leather jacket by my older cousin, I did look nice in it, it was warm, but the straw that broke the camel's back was when I stuck USAF (United States Air Force) patches on the shoulders - it got confiscated, I was made to freeze all day, and at home time I was told never to bring it to school again.

stuckinthe80's
02-07-2011, 08:26
We had to 'keep to the left' in the corridors and on the stairs and also walk in single file on the stairs at secondary school. There was also a hedge down the middle of the yard to separate boys and girls. We had to imagine that this hedge continued to the bottom of the field too. I went to an ex Grammar school and many of the teachers and rules were still in place when I started there in 1984. The headmaster walked around with his mortar hat on (think thats what they are called!) and his black cape. Everyone called him batman! Things started to slacken off a bit in 1986 when the head retired.

sf1378
02-07-2011, 16:07
NO LEATHER JACKETS!:-

I was given a nice smart little leather jacket by my older cousin, I did look nice in it, it was warm, but the straw that broke the camel's back was when I stuck USAF (United States Air Force) patches on the shoulders - it got confiscated, I was made to freeze all day, and at home time I was told never to bring it to school again.

If I'd been your Dad I'd have gone in and punched the idiot of a Teacher whose bright idea it was to let a kid freeze all day by confiscating their coat....

80sChav
02-07-2011, 16:22
If I'd been your Dad I'd have gone in and punched the idiot of a Teacher whose bright idea it was to let a kid freeze all day by confiscating their coat....

We just often (par really bad weather) wore Football Shirts under our Shirts not Coats and unless it was rerally visable we'd not be told off!

80sChav
02-07-2011, 16:23
We just often (par really bad weather) wore Football Shirts under our Shirts not Coats and unless it was rerally visable we'd not be told off!

... though I like the thought of how it was done in the 90s (The Nevi/Builders look) by wearing a Footy Shirt or T-Shirt under your Shirt with all Shirt Buttons un-done or quite a lot too!

HG
02-07-2011, 17:43
We had to 'keep to the left' in the corridors and on the stairs and also walk in single file on the stairs at secondary school. There was also a hedge down the middle of the yard to separate boys and girls. We had to imagine that this hedge continued to the bottom of the field too. I went to an ex Grammar school and many of the teachers and rules were still in place when I started there in 1984. The headmaster walked around with his mortar hat on (think thats what they are called!) and his black cape. Everyone called him batman! Things started to slacken off a bit in 1986 when the head retired.

Sounds a bit like my old school, ex grammar school, walk on the left, split playgrounds, headteacher with a cape...spooky :)

stuckinthe80's
02-07-2011, 18:45
Might be the same school Herr. Spooky if it was!

80sChav
02-07-2011, 18:52
Not sure if it was a rule (though I guess it was) in a way. I hated the sit-ins we had to take in turn with other Years for Lunch. You could be certain 3 weeks out of 4 you'd be last or 2nd last!

Agnetha352
14-07-2011, 14:45
In high school we had to keep to the right. Which I suppose is reasonable enough.

In primary school just standing there in the playground, not associating with anyone was strictly taboo. You HAD to mix and play with other children. Daft rule because you can't make people be with those they don't want to be with.

80sChav
14-07-2011, 16:11
You HAD to mix and play with other children. Daft rule because you can't make people be with those they don't want to be with.

Yeah but this is School for you sadly Agnetha, they like thing's to be politcaly correct and thing's to have to be seen as they are! Just like the School Bully always got given more of a sympathy vote by the Teachers than the victim .... I recall often thing's were said along the lines of "they have got problems at home, you've got to go easy with them/they don't mean it really at heart"

Agnetha352
14-07-2011, 17:56
Political correctness was not the problem in my schooldays it became later, 80sChav, but I understand what you mean. Teachers had to be seen to make the gesture, as you said.

80sChav
14-07-2011, 23:51
Political correctness was not the problem in my schooldays it became later, 80sChav, but I understand what you mean. Teachers had to be seen to make the gesture, as you said.

Sadly Agnetha yeah.

Trickyvee
28-10-2011, 20:02
I always wondered why there were two blocks of girl's toilets in my primary school and only one block for boys. You had to go in one block in the first two years then graduate to the other block for the last two years and woe betide if you went in the wrong one!

The toilets had fantastic overhead pipes for swinging on but that was strictly against the rules. We all did it though.

wispa lover
28-10-2011, 20:19
For a short time, we were not allowed to use Tippex because a student with autism drank a bottle of it.
Good thing it was non-toxic.

Trickyvee
28-10-2011, 20:29
For a short time, we were not allowed to use Tippex because a student with autism drank a bottle of it.
Good thing it was non-toxic.

I thought it was toxic in the early days. I remember the black cross on the side and people trying to sniff it.

80sChav
31-01-2012, 17:59
Hmm, it's strange this at my first Secondary School - which could be erquated to a dive/dump and the Teachers were poor and did'nt care, in the First Year, Second Year (Year 7 and 8 in Today's currency) they made us have a shower after PE and provided lovley warm Towels for us too. Though at my second Secondary School, which had much stricter standards and better Teachers full stop, that when we got to Year 9 and were 13/14 they said showers after PE was our choice! Odd indeed all thing's taken into account I think.

darren
31-01-2012, 18:03
they provided towels not thats odd.

And yet at your secondary school they said showers whhere optional after p.e.
ID have thought showers should be compulsory after p.e.

What odd schoo:confused:ls you went to.
one school was a dive but yet they provided warm towels.

And the better school which had better teachers said a shower after p.e. was optional.
what a strange world.

80sChav
31-01-2012, 18:07
This is one I found strange too Darren, but I was'nt one to complain! I'd rather get a wash/bath after at home.

Richard1978
31-01-2012, 18:16
I remember showers at me school were supposed to be compulsery but in effect hardly anyone bothered with them, me included.

80sChav
31-01-2012, 18:23
Yeah they were get-awayable with most of the time (say 70%) if you was lucky Richard! As was the case with most other School rules too!

Marine Boy
31-01-2012, 21:50
I've posted before about avoiding showers. But thinking back, what was the fuss? Maybe we were all just a bit obsessed with being naked.

HG
31-01-2012, 21:58
I think the showers thing is all about teenage self conciousness, having played football, rugby (which involved communal baths) and running a lot I swiftly got used to the showering thing and it wasn't and still isn't an issue for me now.

Trickyvee
31-01-2012, 23:08
We had forced showers. The teacher would sometimes even stand at the end of the shower block to make sure we went in, but most of the time we just stood in our towels and wet our hair under the first shower to get away with it.

Nobody liked those showers. I think it is awful to make kids stand around naked just at the time when hormones are at work and everyone is self conscious. Plus it was a faff getting washed and dried in time for the next lesson. Deodorant alone can hide a multitude of sins.

80sChav
31-01-2012, 23:43
Nobody liked those showers. I think it is awful to make kids stand around naked just at the time when hormones are at work and everyone is self conscious. Plus it was a faff getting washed and dried in time for the next lesson. Deodorant alone can hide a multitude of sins.

Indeed Trickyvee, I agree ...... the times I had wet hair for the net lesson etc, a totail pain!

darren
01-02-2012, 00:19
i took showers but i always felt nervous and a bit embarrassed being in thei with other naked kids.

I ALWAYS GOT THE TOWEL ROUND ME QUICK.

BUT IM SURE ALL KIDS FEEL SELF CONSCIOUS at that age when taking showers together.

80sChav
01-02-2012, 00:21
i took showers but i always felt nervous and a bit embarrassed being in thei with other naked kids.

I ALWAYS GOT THE TOWEL ROUND ME QUICK.

BUT IM SURE ALL KIDS FEEL SELF CONSCIOUS at that age when taking showers together.

Yeah, I know what you mean Darren, but when I was 11/12 I was not like say how I felt at 14/15 and couplle that with the fact we'd just dash in one and straight out!

darren
01-02-2012, 00:26
Yeah, I know what you mean Darren, but when I was 11/12 I was not like say how I felt at 14/15 and couplle that with the fact we'd just dash in one and straight out!

oh i was more comfortable with taking showers with other kids once i was in secondary school.

But in primary school we where all nervous because the teacher stayed there at the entrance to the showers to make sure we had one.
if that rule was about now the teacher would be sacked for you know what chav.

80sChav
01-02-2012, 00:30
oh i was more comfortable with taking showers with other kids once i was in secondary school.

But in primary school we where all nervous because the teacher stayed there at the entrance to the showers to make sure we had one.
if that rule was about now the teacher would be sacked for you know what chav.

Still I suppose showers have to play some wierd role in PE at School's - whatever people think of there rights and wrongs. I now what you mean, Darren, rightly so too.

Llamarama
01-02-2012, 01:21
We had this little "planner" diary thing. Every week we had to get our mam or dad or anyone else we could pass off as a relative of some kind to sign it, or we'd be sent to "Isolation" (Where all the delinquent children would go and do no work whilst sucking all the life and enthusiasm out of the poor student teacher they always posted there.) where we got no breaks, no lunch and if we had to go the toilet the teacher had to follow us in. Me and my friends used to swap planners with each other and sign it with some psuedonym or other.

For some reason only known to the school Boys hair could only be between 1 and 3 inches long, and girls no shorter than 10. Perverse system that was checked at least once a week...

We were allowed to the local village for our dinners in year 10 and 11, but we had to eat in view of a member of staff.

And finally, I was never any good at PE and my teachers knew this. So to rub in how rubbish they thought I would be at the Javelin they rolled the tape measure out and stood at the end of the field shouting "Come on then! You haven't got a hope in hell of hitting me! You're rubbish at everything else so at least try for this!". I didn't hit them, but I came close! about 2 yards away from them, throwing 39.7 metres. Following lots of swearing by the teacher, I was banned from field events, relegated to Ping Pong for the rest of years 10 and 11... I think I beat the school record though :)

80sChav
01-02-2012, 16:05
We had this little "planner" diary thing. Every week we had to get our mam or dad or anyone else we could pass off as a relative of some kind to sign it, or we'd be sent to "Isolation" (Where all the delinquent children would go and do no work whilst sucking all the life and enthusiasm out of the poor student teacher they always posted there.) where we got no breaks, no lunch and if we had to go the toilet the teacher had to follow us in. Me and my friends used to swap planners with each other and sign it with some psuedonym or other.

For some reason only known to the school Boys hair could only be between 1 and 3 inches long, and girls no shorter than 10. Perverse system that was checked at least once a week...

This is equl#al to Child Slavery/Child Abuse you having no Lunch Breaks etc - just cos you had not had your planner thingy signed! Crazy in the extremes!!

stud1al
01-02-2012, 16:13
We had this little "planner" diary thing. Every week we had to get our mam or dad or anyone else we could pass off as a relative of some kind to sign it, or we'd be sent to "Isolation" (Where all the delinquent children would go and do no work whilst sucking all the life and enthusiasm out of the poor student teacher they always posted there.) where we got no breaks, no lunch and if we had to go the toilet the teacher had to follow us in. Me and my friends used to swap planners with each other and sign it with some psuedonym or other.For some reason only known to the school Boys hair could only be between 1 and 3 inches long, and girls no shorter than 10. Perverse system that was checked at least once a week...We were allowed to the local village for our dinners in year 10 and 11, but we had to eat in view of a member of staff.And finally, I was never any good at PE and my teachers knew this. So to rub in how rubbish they thought I would be at the Javelin they rolled the tape measure out and stood at the end of the field shouting "Come on then! You haven't got a hope in hell of hitting me! You're rubbish at everything else so at least try for this!". I didn't hit them, but I came close! about 2 yards away from them, throwing 39.7 metres. Following lots of swearing by the teacher, I was banned from field events, relegated to Ping Pong for the rest of years 10 and 11... I think I beat the school record though :)What was the name of that school? Colditz?.......................................... .......................If i had been kept in there with no lunch my dad would have been down there the next day and most teachers at the school i went to were scared of him-the deputy head for instance..He was 6ft 5 and strongly built.(My dad not the deputy head)

80sChav
01-02-2012, 16:32
This is barbaric I think Llamarama, no kid should be subjected to this, whatever they've done wrong or not done wrong. This just show's what school's "think they are" and how the pendulem can swing to either a good or bad extreme (kids ruling etc or the Teachers being "strict as")!

Llamarama
01-02-2012, 17:04
It was ****, but the school always got super strict around ofstead inspection time. I didn't enjoy school much. The worst thing was (not to bring a downer on the tread) I used to get bullied every day by the same bunch of kids. The school always said "Talk about your issues with the bullies and work it out like that!" obviously this didn't work. I remember the day very very clearly. March the 14th 2005. It was a Monday and there was a rumour going round that one of the year 10s was going to try and smash my head through a window. By morning break they were trying just that. I struggled with them and they got a hold of my neck and started to squeeze. I couldnt breath, and it was almost like the colour was drainign from everything, it went very pale. So I did the only thing i could and bit him on the wrist. Didn't draw blood but I left a hell of a bruise. He ley go and smacked my head off a wall then walked off.

Before I knew it I was whisked off into the headmasters office where he was, sitting down and just grinning at me. I was yelled at by the head for "Biting another pupil with no provocation." He said he was thinking about getting the police involved for this "Violent act of bullying". I absolutely lost it. I ran crying my eyes out all the way home, and that was 12 miles away. Spent the next week, crying, paranoid that they were coming to get me. The PTA were called, the social workers were called. They talked about therapy and special schools but it all came to nothing. The school apparently told the social worker to pretend that everything was alright, as the ofsted inspectors were in that week. I could never forgive them for that. That was the week where I had to grow up, very quickly. I'm still paranoid about it today. Hearing laughter in public places sets me off on panic attacks.

SCHOOL! - The best days of your lives! Nope, not me. Best time of my life was from when I was 16 to 19. 3 long years of non stop parties, road trips, adventures, days by the beach and other fun! Can't beat those days! :)

80sChav
01-02-2012, 17:08
This sounds evil, you have my sympothy's. Rules at School for me are only rules as far (or to what degree the School dicates them) then they are not rules! This is the sad situation of School's now I feel/think.

Llamarama
01-02-2012, 17:13
I'd best not name names, to protect the innocent. Like my old chemistry teacher who accidentally burned out a fume cupboard showing us thermite! :D And was Welsh! :)

80sChav
01-02-2012, 17:15
I can also recall that my first Secondarey had that big bags like Badminton ones were not allowed! Ok yeah one or two idiots (that every School has) like a so-called friend I had used the said bag's to their advantagfe as kids do. My point is though what if you are a Badminton Player or you've loads of Sports Kit in your bag ....

Most School's Lockers are'nt worth the metal they are made from or whatever they are made from and even if they were ... are they secure?!! I doubt that, so you have to transport the said bag around all day in a way I feel, though it contravines School Rules and may-be Health & Safety even today now sadly too!

80sChav
01-02-2012, 17:25
There was another one too, we had to at my School's - have our bag's in a proper bag that was sterdy etc etc. As well for PE you had to have a seperate bag (which made sense/mkaees sense) but it could not be a Shop type bag with drawstrings on like from a Sports Shop or say Next etc! How crazy was this ... ideal for wet swimming stuff i'd think or smelly sportswear.

Llamarama
01-02-2012, 17:33
We never seemed to have a bag size limit :) Used to see kids going round with bags physically bigger than themselves! In primary school we always used to have to wear verucca socks and swimming caps for swimming lessons, goggles weren't allowed and if you were a boy you had to wear trunks... Sort of makes sense now, but when we were only 8 we couldn't get our heards around them! :)

80sChav
01-02-2012, 17:38
We never seemed to have a bag size limit :) Used to see kids going round with bags physically bigger than themselves! In primary school we always used to have to wear verucca socks and swimming caps for swimming lessons, goggles weren't allowed and if you were a boy you had to wear trunks... Sort of makes sense now, but when we were only 8 we couldn't get our heards around them! :)

Yeah that's another good one ... for Swimming we had to wear Trunks, not even Shorts (be them Bermuda Shorts or whatever). Now I hear School's even dictate the Colour of Football Boots!

HG
01-02-2012, 18:44
I remember the day very very clearly. March the 14th 2005.

Are you sure?

darren
01-02-2012, 18:48

We were allowed to the local village for our dinners in year 10 and 11, but we had to eat in view of a member of staff.

And finally, I was never any good at PE and my teachers knew this. So to rub in how rubbish they thought I would be at the Javelin they rolled the tape measure out and stood at the end of the field shouting "Come on then! You haven't got a hope in hell of hitting me! You're rubbish at everything else so at least try for this!". I didn't hit them, but I came close! about 2 yards away from them, throwing 39.7 metres. Following lots of swearing by the teacher, I was banned from field events, relegated to Ping Pong for the rest of years 10 and 11... I think I beat the school record though :)

Some very odd rules here mate.
thet eachers acrtually said you where rubbish at everything.WOW.
i never had rules saying how long are hair could be.
We sure never had a planner.

But yes i can remember the teacher following me if i had to go to the toilet that made me feel strange and uneasy.

Llamarama
01-02-2012, 18:50
Sure enough to remember what happened, not enough to remember if I had shreddies or coco pops for breakfast. But yeah, I remember the rough course of the day which is quite good for me, as I usually can't remember what I did yesterday :)

HG
01-02-2012, 18:55
I meant the year :) Thought you were an 80's child...

Edit my mistake :)

Llamarama
01-02-2012, 18:55
Year 7 was alright, but in year 8 we got an amsolute meglomaniac in charge who was determined that the school would be turned around from being "Alright" to downright brutal perfection. Most people took it with a pinch of salt, as by year 10 we had enough lads with long hair to start a prog rock revival! :P It tended to be the PE and music teachers that used to tell kids how bad they were, My English, Chemistry and engineering teashers were great, genuinly happy memories of thursdays where I had double engineering (Playing with tools) and double chemistry (Playing with chemicals) :)

Llamarama
01-02-2012, 18:56
No problem HG, I was born in the 90s, raised like the 80s! :P

80sChav
02-02-2012, 00:23
Some very odd rules here mate.
thet eachers acrtually said you where rubbish at everything.WOW.
i never had rules saying how long are hair could be.
We sure never had a planner.

But yes i can remember the teacher following me if i had to go to the toilet that made me feel strange and uneasy.

We had all these too. What difference a Planner make if it has been signed or not is daft to me!

Llamarama
02-02-2012, 00:26
By year 10 we had all stopped caring, teachers and all. :)

80sChav
02-02-2012, 00:27
By year 10 we had all stopped caring, teachers and all. :)

It sounds like as well as it was a School tough on rules, it was not enforced at all too!

Llamarama
02-02-2012, 00:36
Some great teachers really enthusiastic about the subject (Like my old English teacher who for some reason decided that it was a great idea to spend half a lesson talking about how he used to be a butler for a Swedish opera singer, we didn't mind! :D), with some incredibly evil teachers (French, Music and PE), and the people at the top all bickering with one another. Oh well, I survived. :)

Trickyvee
02-02-2012, 01:32
How long have things like ofsted inspections been in place? It seems as though schools are hell bent on their grading and place in the league tables these days rather than anything else.

Llamarama
02-02-2012, 01:51
It's all schools are bothered about now, couldn't care less about anything apart from their place in the league tables. About a week before they cane to inspect we were told to be on our best behaviour and any shenanigans was severly punished.

One of my mates is doing an apprenticeship in Electrical Engineering, and as such him and about a dozen others go to a local collage for coursework every monday. Last monday it was a sit in session for an ofsted inspector. Bearing in mind these were 19 - 23 year olds, the inspector was so agitated by the end that he stood up and stormed out of the class announcing that it was "The worst class he had seen in 25 years by a long margin.".

My mate rang me up straight afterwards in hysterics saying that he had broken an ofstead inspector! :)

HG
02-02-2012, 09:01
How long have things like ofsted inspections been in place? It seems as though schools are hell bent on their grading and place in the league tables these days rather than anything else.

I can remember before league tables came along my school at least concentrated on exam results so it could keep it's record of having the best exam results of state schools in County Durham. They tried to "encourage" me to leave half way through sixth form.

League tables were introduced in the mid 90's I believe.

80sChav
02-02-2012, 16:42
It's all schools are bothered about now, couldn't care less about anything apart from their place in the league tables. About a week before they cane to inspect we were told to be on our best behaviour and any shenanigans was severly punished.

One of my mates is doing an apprenticeship in Electrical Engineering, and as such him and about a dozen others go to a local collage for coursework every monday. Last monday it was a sit in session for an ofsted inspector. Bearing in mind these were 19 - 23 year olds, the inspector was so agitated by the end that he stood up and stormed out of the class announcing that it was "The worst class he had seen in 25 years by a long margin.".

My mate rang me up straight afterwards in hysterics saying that he had broken an ofstead inspector! :)

It's really funny this ... I mean yeah i'm all for a bit of jovial-ness and horseplay. To a certain degree it's par of the course, but some of these inspectors are so rigid as I often had them when I went to College full time. They really need to join the land of the living when possiblle instead of beinmg in their grey suits (the generaly wear i've ofen noted) and having no smile etc etc!

Llamarama
02-02-2012, 18:12
I think they're of the opinion that "Children should be seen and not heard!" :D

80sChav
02-02-2012, 18:29
I think they're of the opinion that "Children should be seen and not heard!" :D

Yeah - Oftsead has created more touble for School's with Leauge Tables than could be imagined. Though I guess the goverment had good intentions creating Ofstead at one hour of day/with the duty's that Ofstead would do.

80sChav
12-05-2012, 16:48
At my first Secondary School we often got threatend with detentions for anything and everything but somehow we managed to avoid them, unless the real bad crowd landed the rest of the Form or Lesson in it. What about other members and your School's, if your School/s went about saying you'd have a detention?

80sChav

battyrat
12-05-2012, 18:17
Plenty of detentions even threatened with the cane on a couple of occations.Made to run around the school field several times untill told to stop was a fav of one of our dreaded pe teachers.More then once I got the lines in detention untill the teacher decided it was time to go.I got this for not doing my lines at home.Naughty me,lol.

There were other times and other punishments...

darren
12-05-2012, 23:26
my secondary school let anything go.

well in my case they did not as i was physically and verbally abused and when i told the teachers they did nothing to help.
they said what can we do.

It was the same for others.
the bullies really ran the school.

sf1378
13-05-2012, 02:39
My prep and secondary schools were strict. But by the time of my gcses it got ridiculous - the new Deputy Head was way over the top, I was badly behaved at times but there were plenty of unruly kids or bullies - once when my Dad was called in about me he saw a kid stick two fingers up behind my Deputy Heads back when he'd shouted at one of them, Dad mentioned it to him when he accused my Dad of not disciplining me at home! The guy went ballistic which angered my Father even more and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Deputy Head could make anyones blood boil - up until then my Dad never believed me...:D

80sChav
13-05-2012, 19:28
At school you had to content with! Which annoyed you the most and which were bad ones but good, do you think? :)

80sChav

sf1378
13-05-2012, 21:13
Not being inside on cold days....ridiculous.

nuttytigger
13-05-2012, 23:15
Not being allowed out if it was raining, but snow was fair game!

darren
14-05-2012, 00:27
i can remember not being allowed to open the windows on real hot days.
we where all baking alive.

Richard1978
14-05-2012, 13:02
It used to be the opposite at my school, when we had to have the windows open on really cold days.

darren
14-05-2012, 13:43
that is odd rich.
both mine and yours are very odd.
should be the other way round

It used to be the opposite at my school, when we had to have the windows open on really cold days.

Richard1978
14-05-2012, 17:56
I remember in my last year at primary school my teacher for the last 2 terms had a few strange rules, possibly because she normally taught younger children.

One odd one was that we wern't allowed to use any of the gym equipment because we were "too big for it". Instead we had to play games without being told the rules fully explained.

80sChav
16-05-2012, 20:58
Did anyone else have the rule you could not take your Jumper off in Secondary School unless it got to be about 75/80 Degrees - same with Blazers at my first Secondary as well, though that was'nt quite as bad as you did'nt have to wear a Jumper as such. At my 2nd Secondary the Jumper acted as a Blazer. This often happend around June time in my School - why June though I don't know Lol.

shilton dipper
16-05-2012, 21:12
I remember being chased round my first secondary school in oxfordshire by the deputy headmistress mrs neville-rolph because i had walked on the grass!.............she was nic named 'naggerbags'.........she wore tweed skirts and twin sets and had stark blue eyes that when she was staring at you , you really thought could burn holes in you........jeez that was one scarey lady

victorbrunswick
16-05-2012, 22:01
One of the math teachers at our middle school, Mr Harris, used to punish infractions such as tardiness by sentencing the offender to picking up trash in the quad area outside. In fact one of his favorite expressions was, "Did you say trash box?" A reference to the cardboard box the unfortunate slacker was supplied with in order to carry out his "Keep America Beautiful" duties in the quad. Despite that, Mr Harris was actually one of the cool teachers at the school and we all liked him.

screamqueen
04-03-2014, 21:56
At my primary school, if you brought a packed lunch, you had to eat it in a set order: sandwiches, then crisps/fruit/whatever else, then any drinks. You weren't allowed a drink (other than water) unless you had eaten lunch first. I think all of this was ridiculous, and believe schools should not dictate what children eat (obesity crisis or not)

Secondary school, skirts had to be longer than your fingertips when your arms were by your side, and no shorts allowed underneath - some of the girls would wear them to prevent thighs chafing or accidental knicker-flashing, but the school decided that any shorts that could be worn under the skirt would be too short/tight/provocative. Sixth form didn't wear uniform so girls were allowed shorter skirts, but they still had to be a "sensible" length i.e. no knickers showing, and overweight girls would be told by the head of form that it wasn't "appropriate" for them to wear skirts above the knee. Pretty much all the girls in the year denounced this as sexist and made a complaint to the headmaster, but we were ignored. I hope that schools wouldn't get away with it these days.

My secondary school also seemed to be paranoid about kids going to the loo together. There was a rule that girls couldn't go in groups of more than two to keep them from preening in front of the mirror all day, and I remember some Year 8 boys getting into huge trouble when a teacher found them in a cubicle together. They said they'd done it because they were scared of bullies in the toilet; and there was no evidence of them getting up to anything other than having a wee. I thought that was quite sad. In general the school was quite harsh on bullied kids, who would get told off if caught hiding in the toilets or library, and sent out to "mix" :(

Richard1978
05-03-2014, 21:05
I remember coulottes being banned at my secondary school, which made some girls & parents complain because they had already bought some for the new school year.

One of my friends from school reckoned that girls were banned from wearing trousers at one time, but I don't ever remember it.

80sChav
22-09-2017, 18:40

This sounds like Prison here Llamarama mate!

we had Planners too but not such an effect as described here by you

as well we had Merit Slips given for good work, though it was irrelevent par my Geography Teacher (who gave them out like Confetti) how great/top-notch A1 youre work was or even if you finished top in a test 4 works on the trot!

80sChav

staffslad
23-09-2017, 10:20
I don't remember ever seeing girls in trousers at my secondary school. I think the rule was skirts for girls, in fact I am pretty sure I read it in the handbook we were given at the start of year 1. I don't think I ever saw a female teacher wearing trousers apart from the girls' games mistress who wore a tracksuit. This was in the 70s--1973-1978 to be exact.

darren
23-09-2017, 10:57
When i started school 79 or 80 in all my yrs at school cant think of any occasions where female pupils or teachers wore trousers.
Cant recall having any female p.e. Teachers.

Cant remember getting a handbook.

Skirts just suit female pupils and teachers

i don't remember ever seeing girls in trousers at my secondary school. I think the rule was skirts for girls, in fact i am pretty sure i read it in the handbook we were given at the start of year 1. I don't think i ever saw a female teacher wearing trousers apart from the girls' games mistress who wore a tracksuit. This was in the 70s--1973-1978 to be exact.

staffslad
23-09-2017, 14:28
At my school, girls and boys had separate teachers for games/P.E. a male teacher for boys and a female one for the girls. Also, although girls and boys had games/P.E. at the same time, there was zero interaction between the sexes. The boys would be playing football or something similar under the supervision of the male teacher, and the girls would be playing rounders, netball or similar under the supervision of the female teacher.

'Handbook' probably makes what we were given sound a bit grander than what it actually was: a set of photocopied A4 sheets bent over into A5 and stapled to keep it together.

80sChav
23-09-2017, 14:29
When i started school 79 or 80 in all my yrs at school cant think of any occasions where female pupils or teachers wore trousers.
Cant recall having any female p.e. Teachers.

Cant remember getting a handbook.

Skirts just suit female pupils and teachers

Me neither re; the Trousers Darren mate, par may-be the very odd Teacher (say 1 in Ten), though I think my Maths Teacher - a lady who was new to here from India wore them - though that would be to observe Religous Beliefs I think/believe

I don't know if I am alone in the thread above, but obviously for sciebce we had to tuck our Ties in the Shirt in-case it got caught on a Bunson Burner or a Chemistry experiment - but this neverr applied to other practical subjects at both my Schools - where it could have become damaged etc. It was as if they did not care for your clothes otherwise par science (though we never hadd proper-true safety equipment anyway) mind

i recall on this though - because the Teachers hated us otherwise tucking the whole Tie in the Shirt in other lessons - we went from 1 extreme to the other in Scienhces and either just showed the Tie knot alone or tucked it in in a silly way - just like Approns in Art how people wore them daft! When you think of the daft crazers and rules at School now it sure makes me reflect (and think I am glad I went through all this) what with Red Tape and the like Today kids will know nothing/experience no daft-silly rules etc (or far, far few-er)!!!

80sChav

Silver Bear
02-11-2017, 15:36
I remember in the sixth form pointing out to my House Master* that there was no mention of farting in either the House Rules or the School Rules. I had researched this thoroughly because - although I am very civilised now (cough, cough) in those days I prided myself on my farts. He had to admit that I was right about this. ...

[*It was an all-male boarding school divided into Houses, each with its own House Master.]

Silver Bear
03-11-2017, 09:51
But showering after games in secondary was enforced, and many of us used to think it was a bit weird how one games master used to stand over you till you were completely undressed and in the shower.

If you got to the changing rooms before the teacher, you could wet your hair and insist, "Look sir, I did have a shower!"

One of my games masters used to behave in that way and be incredibly strict when he was 'supervising' the changing rooms. There was an occasion - I think I was around 17 at the time - when he stood over me and I let out an incredibly loud fart, to howls of hilarity and feigned disgust around me. The master in question turned bright red, shouted and bellowed but actually saw the funny sided and actually laughed despite himself.

Twocky61
03-11-2017, 16:15
Way back '69 when I was aged eight I was in primary school where the boy's uniform included shorts

One snowy winter day Mum sent me to school in jeans

Mr Shackelton (he committed suicide a few years later so I will name him lol) sent me home in the snow to change into shorts. Mum took me back to school to complain telling him he was an idiot. It totally embarrassed him

marc
03-11-2017, 23:24
One stupid rule in the comprehensive school. If you came to school without our tie, you would be sent home to get it, then report to the year head on your return. It was eventually scrapped....most went home, not returning until the following day.

Not exactly a rule, but during a school inspection, everybody had to be on their best behaviour. No running in any building. No screaming, shouting or yelling on the school premises. This was going well until one particular inspection....a fight broke out between two girls. It was like a stampede, with kids yelling and running like idiots.....right past the office where all the year heads, school head and inspector were having a meeting. We never found out what was written in his report.

80sChav
03-11-2017, 23:34
One stupid rule in the comprehensive school. If you came to school without our tie, you would be sent home to get it, then report to the year head on your return. It was eventually scrapped....most went home, not returning until the following day.

Not exactly a rule, but during a school inspection, everybody had to be on their best behaviour. No running in any building. No screaming, shouting or yelling on the school premises. This was going well until one particular inspection....a fight broke out between two girls. It was like a stampede, with kids yelling and running like idiots.....right past the office where all the year heads, school head and inspector were having a meeting. We never found out what was written in his report.

We never had this Rule marc - the Teachers was just happy we wore them - even totaly un-knotted like so!!

marc
03-11-2017, 23:42
80sChav.....has long has the tie was in a knot, generally, they did not care. I hated the choker, sorry, tie. I did turn up on one occasion without the tie, just to test a certain year heads temper. He didn't bite. I just went home put the tie on and returned to school. Some kids did turn up on the last week or so without the tie. They ignored the detention.

80sChav
03-11-2017, 23:46
80sChav.....has long has the tie was in a knot, generally, they did not care. I hated the choker, sorry, tie. I did turn up on one occasion without the tie, just to test a certain year heads temper. He didn't bite. I just went home put the tie on and returned to school. Some kids did turn up on the last week or so without the tie. They ignored the detention.
Interesting yer Marc - thanks for the Heads Up

My first Secondary was like a Cattle Shed and they gave no care to anything of our welfare at all (but I still have great memories of it), but my 2nd was way, way far stricter!

80sChav

marc
04-11-2017, 00:05
Interesting yer Marc - thanks for the Heads Up

My first Secondary was like a Cattle Shed and they gave no care to anything of our welfare at all (but I still have great memories of it), but my 2nd was way, way far stricter!

80sChav

There were some teachers who were very strict. In general, the school I attended was strict. It was during the fourth and fifth years that most of us were fed up. Some of us knew full well we were not going to get good marks for our final exams. We would have been better off if we could have left school at thirteen or fourteen and learned a trade.

Some of the strictest teachers were nothing but a joke to us in the end. One teacher in particular acted like a senior Waffen SS officer. He was strict uniform mad. His inspections during morning assembly were legendary. Clipboard and pen in hand, he would go from line to line inspecting us. Name taken for any uniform infringement. He would have several pages of paper going back weeks with names on, just to check for the last infringement. We swear blind to this day, he was related to Hitler. He did calm it in the last couple of weeks when he realised we no longer cared.

80sChav
01-07-2018, 22:38

At my First Secondary they detested the First Years wearing just the thin part, but 2allowed" older years and at my 2nd they detested every year wearing it just the thin part out

Still (as may-be I have said elswhere on the Forum - but I am unsure due to being well tiered) that I am pleased I took part in the Competition - firast 2 weeks of First Year - when they extremley extremley "tried" to outlaw it and out of my Form - though I never last the whole day I did avoid a defeat in terms of being told to re-tie propery, which considering wat most of the evil brutes in my Year thought of me - that I'd cave in after 3 minutes is far from a 2Hollow Victory2 for me!

80sChav