Special Sunday Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Sunday Room

Was it just my family or did anybody else have a room in the house that was only used on Sundays? In the house i lived in We had a front room which we never used except on a Sunday for dinner!! I hope it was not just my family!!
    This was at the time where people still closed there curtains if somebody died in the street!!!

My grandma had a room we could only use on sundays, Easter and Christmas. It had a big table in it and a sofa and a fireplace that was only ever used for these occasions. The door was always kept shut and woe betide you if you went in. We used to keep curtains shut too as a mark of respect for funerals, you could only open them after the hearse had gone past and was off the street. Don't know why that was.
    If eight out of ten cats prefer whiskas, do the other two shave or wax?

Comment

Our "parlour" was only ever used for guests, Xmas, occasions, etc. & had the best furniture, decor, glasses, china etc. Different times, different people - nowadays if we do up a room specially it's to chill out ourselves in.
      Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

I am normal after all!!!

Thankyou for putting my mind at ease!! I was begining to think i came from a very strange family!! I was not to bothered about going in the Sunday room because as i remember, It had a bright orange and white Paisley design wallpaper!! I only wanted to go in there to listen to my Dad's Elvis Presley albums on our old record player.

Comment

Yep, we had one as well - terrible waste of a room & space if you think about it. Ours was called "The parlour" and it was cooler & smelled fresher than all the other rooms in the house. As previously stated, best furniture and crockery cabinet were housed there. Unfortunately it also acted as a downstairs bedroom in the latter years of my Grancha's life when he couldn't make the stairs due to pneumoconiosis. At the time there were three generations of our family in one house, lucky me I had a bedroom all to myself (only child, see).

Oh I do feel old!

Clive.

Comment

Nan had a parlour but we tended to live in the kitchen. And who else had to use a GUZUNDER? Come on hands up! Admit it! Three bedroom house no bathroom a guzunder and baths in the kitchen sink while I was small enough then the tin bath in front of the oven while supper was cooking whn I got too big for the sink. I remmeber Nan had a range stove which had been converted from coal to gas and sh would put my jammies and towel into the warming oven before my bath so I had wonderfully warm jammies. The only downside was the huge bar of sodding carbolic soap to wash with.... did the manufacturers actually make it with added grit coz it was like washing with sandpaper!
            sigpic
            Mrs Oggy
            ~~~*~~~*~~~
            Count your friends amongst the stars....
            And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

Re: Special Sunday Room

the parents never had a room like this.
              but my uncle had one and it was usaed just for sunday dinner and for christmas dinner when it fell on a sunday.

it had a huge table where 12 people could sit at it.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

My grandparents had a room like this. However, I only went there in times where we were celebrating so it always had people in it.

Comment

My nanna had the 'front room' which I suspect may have been used like a Sunday room in its day but by the time I knew it, she didn't use it at all. It had a big cabinet with her posh tea set in and her most prized ornaments, as well as a table and chairs.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

My parents and my aunty and uncle both had a "sitting" room which was only used for visitors, I'm guessing this is the same as a Sunday room.
                    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

One of my great aunts still has one, it also served as my great uncle's bedroom in his later years as he couldn't manage the stairs.

My girlfriend's mum doesn't use her front lounge much either, but the back one with a combined dining room is big enough.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                      X