small bottles of orange from the milkman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small bottles of orange from the milkman

Does anyone remember small bottles of orange from the UD milkman? I think they were the same size as the little bottles of milk you used to get at school (third of a pint?) There was also a sort of milk shake type thing which I think was called a Mickey

I remember them. Also at school. you could choose milk or orange and then we had a nap afterwards. If only I could have a nap after coffee break at work now.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved and attractive body but rather a skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'Woo Hoo What a Ride

Comment

LOL.... Best thing was if it was your turn to be milk monitor and there were spares left you sometimes got an extra bottle, used to make my week, ahhh how simple things were then (or was I just very sad??!)
      John

Comment

I've never liked milk and the thought of break time in the infants and a half pint bottle that had been left near the window all morning and was slightly warm was enough to turn my stomach. The only glimmer of goodness would be the occasional appearance in the crate of an orange one. You couldn't rely on it being there every day, though.

Funny, I was only talking about them the other day. Yes, that's how scintillating my work conversation is!

Comment

I remember the milk being warm too.....never chilled, and the straws were little blue ones. The milk had an odd taste to it.. mind you that may be because it was warm. I can't remember the orange in little bottles... may have blanked this out as the trauma of warm milk has scarred me forever!
          If eight out of ten cats prefer whiskas, do the other two shave or wax?

Comment

Did they used to give us something with the milk - or was it just milk? I do remember it being in crates in the classroom - just sitting there fermenting until breaktime.

Comment

Ive never liked warm milk...not on its own anyway...i remeber us having those little bottles and im sure i used to drink it as fast as i could to get it over with lol Ice cold milk is so much better
              Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

Comment

milk

I remember the warm milk with the wax/paper straws that stuck together so it was difficult to suck (1970's).
                Van_Whistler (too young to understand - old enough to know better)

Comment

I can remember these small bottles, my dad was a milkman when I was little (I'm 44 now) my sister and I used to go on his round with him. he used to build a wall of crates around us on his float and sit us in the middle.
                  My abiding memory is the pair of us disappearing down the nearest alley to answer the call of nature whenever he stopped to deliver - the result of us drinking too mant of the aforesaid bottles of orange!
                  Dean.

Comment

Hi Dean, at least you didn't refill the bottles!!

Comment

Ugh! I hated school milk! it was usually warm and they gave you the worlds thinnest straw to suck through

Comment

Re: small bottles of orange from the milkman

Our milk man sold the orange, but it was in the same sized bottles as the milk. Full pints! We never got orange at school. Only milk. For some reason I used to think it tasted like it had hairs in it?!? Probably a combination of the warmness and sucking it up through the tiny straw and it swirling on my tongue. There was the slightly sour smell of it too, and the crusty bits around the rim under the silver top. Yuk!
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                          Our milk man sold the orange, but it was in the same sized bottles as the milk. Full pints! We never got orange at school...
                          That's my memory too. I recall thinking how odd it was, the first time I saw a milk bottle outside the front door that had orange juice in it! And yes, only delivered by the milkman to our house. We certainly didn't have it at school. Only little, slightly warm, cartons of milk. *feels nauseous*

Comment

You mention the "Thin Straws" those straws as I remember them were see through red, and they came in a grey card square box? I was Milk Monitor in 1971 and how the smell of the soured milk brings back the memories of having to drink down the foul stuff! (not a lover of milk!)

I think that they were third of a pint bottles though? And were always delivered in a grey plastic crate.

Comment

The straws for milk in my school were paper!
                              They lasted about 5 seconds before being reduced to a mush in the warm milk!
                              sigpic
                              'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Working...
                              X