This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone remember....

a band called Jameson Raid? possibly around 1978/1980 ish? They didnt have a hit ,or a chart position , They hailed from Brum I think ,and were a heavy music outfit . we saw them a few times (and bought the single they sold at gigs) Oh happy days and good times!

Re: Does anyone remember....

Yep, certainly do. Good times at many gigs. They started in 1975, had several changes of line-up and split finally in 1982. Yes, from Brum. CD being released soon and re-union tour in the summer 2010.
    For more info
    Checkout Jameson Raid and Jameson Raid

and the reason I know........ I was the lead guitarist for 5 years.

Comment

Really? Wow,and I thought I was the only one who remembered! This mustve been in about '75 I saw them.I remember there was a guy ,think he was on bass,who dressed in german uniform? Am I right? Unfortunately I lost the only record I had of theirs (bought at a gig in Ilford) Catcher in the Rye was one of the tracks ,loved it ,still do! great times!

Comment

Well, between '75 and about '77, John Ace the bass player, used to wear a monk's habit and then between '77 and '80 always wore a uniform, which was actually a mixed German and American uniform. Did you check the website? A CD is coming out next month with all the old favourite songs. We'll be playing some gigs in UK, probably Brum, next summer. There seems to be a lot of people out there who want to see the band again and we want to do it again, before we all get too old....
        I

Comment

The Jameson Raid on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
          sigpic

Comment

Are you sure that is the same Jameson Raid?

Comment

No, that is a recent pop band who decided to take the same name.
              The rock band Jameson Raid are at;
              JAMESON RAID on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
              and
              Jameson Raid

Comment

59T bird....Looked at the site,played the tracks...AWESOME! Brought all those memories flooding back! Whens the gigs then? I would love to go to one ! Just cos Im an old git doesnt mean I cant headbang!

Comment

We're doing a mini-tour in July next year with a couple of gigs in Birmingham. Dont worry, there'll be plenty of oldies there, including the band, but it should be a good time. There be reduced headbanging as there will be less hair around than years ago... The dates and info will be posted on the websites soon.
                  I

Comment

Originally posted by 59Thunderbird View Post
                    Yep, certainly do. Good times at many gigs. They started in 1975, had several changes of line-up and split finally in 1982. Yes, from Brum. CD being released soon and re-union tour in the summer 2010.
                    For more info
                    Checkout Jameson Raid and Jameson Raid

and the reason I know........ I was the lead guitarist for 5 years.
                    Well.
                    Thats probably narrowed it down a bit as to who you are.
                    Hope you are practising those chords and stances for the gigs.
                    Be great to see the band perform again. The gig at Bogarts in summer 1980 was just the best.

Comment

I guess it has..... I'm in Brazil right now....... I wonder who you are and where.....?
                      Anyway, Yes I am as it happens. Got a lovely new axe last year, cherry red PRS Custom, beaauuuutiful. I stopped playing guitar for many years while travelling, but I have the bug again, playing two or three hours a day now.
                      The drummer bought a big new 11 piece black drum kit and the bass player just bought a new Rickenbacker 4003, so we're serious.
                      It seems there is a lot of interest from many people in seeing the band play again and we're all looking forward to it. I dont know we'll be as good as we were, but we'll give it our best shot and we're going to have some fun doing it. We're all still good friends so it'll be a wonderful get-together. Practising is a challenge though as we live in different parts of the world. However, we going for lots of home practice of the set and then a week's rehearsal together, every day before the first gig.
                      Bogarts, summer '80 was our last gig for the original band. The bassist and I left after that and I was out of England by August that year. We were pretty tight by then for sure. I'm happy you enjoyed the gig!
                      30 years after... who would have thought it......

Comment

I couldn't give away my name I'm just a punter, only to say I have put a hell of a lot of posts on the JR forum and provided some memorabilia for the website, i.e flyer for bloxwich baths etc.
                        I'm in spitting distance of Birmingham, I've never ventured too far, though I did get to go to Thailand for a couple of weeks a few years back.
                        You must be one of the most travelled men on earth I would suspect !!

Bogarts was I think the 4th time I saw the band. 1st time was Bham Bingley hall. I remember the night and the bands though a lot of the details escape me other my recollection of the lyrics booklet that a friend of mine purchased. The 2nd time I believe was at Bham Odeon with Def Leppard. The band must have impressed me as I then went to see the band at Himley hall. Again I remember the day but the details escape me. I purchased the Souvenir programme here.
                        In 1980 at the age of 18, I started going to Bogarts and seeing JR advertised on the forthcoming gig list. I couldn't wait to see them and they didn't disappoint. I hadn't realised it was the last gig for that line up, I cant remember anything being said other than Terry saying from the stage that the band were going to change their name. I was a bit confused by that.
                        Following that I saw them a couple of times at the Railway Tavern (with whatever line up they then had), I only remember Terry from those couple of gigs.(signing Titanic).
                        After that although I looked out for the band, I never read or heard anything of them until of course the last couple of years.
                        Hope the band can pull it off.

Comment

No, dont give the name away, twould spoil things....
                          Thanks for the forum posts and memorabilia etc. I have seen your name a lot. I've still got some of the original stickers and little metal badges at home..., but I guess the best thing I still have is my old cherry red Gibson SG. Well worn and full of dents and scratches. I broke it in two one night at the Railway, over enthusiastic kicking to get feedback in front of the stack and the body came apart from the neck..... still as I was a guitar maker then, I glued it back together and it's been fine ever since. It also has a cut in the head from a beer glass thrown by a punk, when we supported Slaughter and the dogs. They ended up far worse though.
                          Travelling... yes sick of it now.. heading home to Thailand tomorrow. Still cant complain, I been to most of the places I ever wanted to go, but time to stay in one place, next year. 30 years packing and unpacking is enough....
                          I saw a lot of posts about Bogarts. As far as I recall, the Bier Kellar was on the ground floor and Bogarts down below. It was always a good gig there.
                          Himley Hall I remember as it was probably the best and biggest gig we ever played. I remember clearly arriving on my Triumph Bonneville and we played well that day, good sound too.
                          When we split, there was occasional communication between us, but nothing serious till last year. Yes, lets hope we can pull it off. We'll give it our best shot.
                          By the way, our website is now official..... Jameson Raid
                          T-shirts available now and the CD as soon as it's ready, January now I believe.....

Comment

ah. no names.
                            I did wonder what had happened to the old equipment once you said you had a shny new axe, but I guess its easer hanging onto a guitar than a set of drums.
                            I'd forgotten I saw the raid at Walsall Town hall a couple of times as well.
                            but possibly once you had left. (I just aint sure).
                            I'm told by 'the forum' that Thursday is the official announcement of the website as well as an update to the fans site, so l'm looking forward to Thursday.
                            I looked at the record companies website yesterday and it gave a list of its 2009 releases and expected one more to be put out in December (which wasn't Jameson Raid) so I had a feeling it might be January (unfortunately).
                            Ah well we've waited this long, another month will go quickly enough.

Take care.

Comment

Please feel free to continue this conversation via the Private Messaging system.
                              Heather

Comment

Working...
                              X