A memorable coincidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A memorable coincidence

This isnt really a memory of something in particular ,but thought I would share this ....
    I was on a forum ,cant remember which one (!) when another member said he knew me .It turned out he did ,and altho he had lived in Australia since 1958,we lived in the same road in East London as kids! Our fathers worked together in the '30's. I even found a pic of his dad in my late fathers effects. Anyways ,after much conversing on the 'net ,he and his wife came to stay with us ,and used our house as a base to travel back and forth across europe,over a period of weeks.We both revisited the now demolished site of the houses where we lived as kids ,and whilst there we found graffiti on an old wall which was still standing ,and was the boundary wall to his garden, which he had done as a kid! Twas a sad day when they left for home ,but we had lots of time to chat about old memories ,even tho' our ages were some 15 years or so apart. Hope you dont mind me sharing this story!
    Thanks for looking.

Re: A memorable coincidence

It's a lovely story, RODEO. The house I lived in through the seventies and eighties, until 1984, is still there. My parents left in 1987. Recently, they arranged to go back and have a look at the place. The wood-panelling on the walls of the lounge that my Dad put up in about 1971, had still not been removed!

I don't think I ever left any graffiti anywhere, but I do recall leaving a sort of time-capsule buried in the banks of the local pond. Often wonder if it's still there. Blue Peter has a lot to answer for!

Comment

That is a lovely story.The block of flats i lived in throughout my early - mid infancy.got knocked down a year or so ago.I was sad it had vanished.

Comment

Oh thats a lovely memory. Not that there's any comparison but I only lived in a couple of houses with my parents (we didn't move often) but just in case any one is interested they're both still standing. The first dates back to Cromwell's time and is recorded in the Dooms Day Book it has priest holes and alsorts in it and our second house dates back to the 1700 and had a gravestone for a fire hearth. All good stuff. Now i just live in a normal modern house.

Comment

When I first met my now wife in 1992 I asked if I could walk her home only to find that she lived in my old house that I lived in from 1982 - 1984! Her father still lives there now. It's always strange to me to go there and see parts of the house that my family installed like the kitchen etc.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X