Christmas past!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas past!

Its that time of year again when i start thinking about christmas (there ive said "the" word!)

So obv i go to ebay for ideas and i saw these decorations which reminded me of the 80s christmas's i had. We had old decorations which time and taste had forgotten!

Cant believe i got rid of all of them when i started working , so many memories!

Well here are some photos that might take you back to christmas's of the past!
    Attached Files
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

Re: Christmas past!

lot 2
    Attached Files
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

Comment

Originally posted by nessie View Post
      The main thing I remember from a 70s Xmas is the paper decorations that folded out like the tree in the pic here and also making paper chains to hang on the ceiling every year. Great!
      sigpic
      'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I remember the satin balls and the paper ones...the paper chains that my mam used to hang across the ceiling..and the wee trees that you'd open up. I remember we had to make decorations for school for homework one Christmas. I cut out the roundy bits from egg cartons and covered them with tin foil to make little bells.

Comment

Paper chains at school with "lanterns" fashioned from a square of Gloy gummed paper -you folded it in half, made cuts along the folded edge, unfolded it again and stuck it round into a cylinder - the folded cut edge stuck out in the middle with 'slats'. A little strip of gummed paper stuck across the top for a handle!

Tinsel! Loads of it!

Egg carton "cups" painted, filled with Das, with little candles and sprigs of plastic holly stuck in.

Fake "snow" sprayed onto the window, either in"drfts" in the corner of each pane, or stencilled angel shapes.

Comment

Originally posted by mazzer View Post
            Fake "snow" sprayed onto the window, either in"drfts" in the corner of each pane, or stencilled angel shapes.
            My Mum got some spray like that & used it on all the windows. After she found how hard it was to get off she never used it again.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember my parents hanging little 'presents' on the tree, basically little cubes of polystyrene (can't spell it lol) just wrapped up pretty and I used to open them all!! lol just incase they were little presents, well you never know! lol
              We also had little cardboard angels, that were quite detailed, wearing white and gold robes, really pretty

Comment

So nice to see all those decorations! That has really conjured up the childish excitement I used to feel, lovely!

Somewhere (yes somewhere! when I can find where I have put it!) I have a large roll of genuine 1970s christmas paper! Many different designs,cheap quality, basic printing (not your glossy posh stuff No!) The sort you could see through if you looked hard enough! And remember the rustly crackle of it on Christmas morning?

I will dig it out and photo some of them if possible.

Comment

At school I remember making paper chains and a little Santa out of a toilet roll tube which hung around under the Christmas tree for years (my friend who works at a primary school says toilet roll tubes are now banned because of health and safety!!!).

I always wanted my parents to put lights and snow around the windows but they never did. My electrician dad was always bleating on about lights setting the curtains ablaze. On the up side we had about 4 sets of different shaped lights all connected to one plug on the tree .

I used to love the days when Christmas trees were a mish mash of obscure multicoloured baubles and lights. Mine still is. I inherited mam's ancient decorations when she decided to go posh years ago and have tastefully decorated trees. I always get loads of happy memories from my childhood Christmases when I get those baubles out.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

Yeah i still have some of those baubles in pics no1 and 4 hanging around too... there were numerous christmas decorations that we used to have that arent popular anymore..have we become such snobs?
                    These days people ignore decorations unless theyre fibre optic or move but the simple things like those christmas tree chain decorations that spelled out "merry christmas" are the most charming things I remember. card holders in the shape of rudolph and reindeers, santa boot with white cotton wool fur at the top containing sweets/toffees and my fave of all..those chains that used to go from each corner to the centre of the room then youd put 4 hanging decorations in the gaps created.

Comment

I used to love the fold out paper decorations. I'm sure my mum must still have some, she never throws anything away. Another memory is the cadbury chocs that you used to hang on the tree. They always had a kind of bell shape.
                      "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Hey, I recall the chocolate bell shapes! I think we had angel shapes too; not to mention the chocolate money in little net bags.

Comment

Oh yes the big, flat, thick Cadburys chocolate bell Christmas decorations! My dad used to hide them in his inside pockets and pretend he'd forgotten to bring them but us kids always knew he wouldn't let us down! They WERE bigger and thicker back then weren't they?
                          "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Snobs! you are right, some folk just want to be as impressive and lavish as they can dont they? It's not Christmas it seems to be a crass vulgarity show for some?

I remember going to J. C. Smiths (now Debenhams) when I wa 4 or 5 and having a "Cracker Tea" sandwiches a jelly and bottle of pop called Zing and a cracker, pink of blue crepe paper with a silver embossed santa and silver cuffs on the ends of the cracker! I loved it! They had the best Santas Grotto too! Part of the storerooms upstairs all hung with black cloth and lit with blue red and green subdued lighting, even had little fountains and running water to give the real grotto effect. Each year it had a theme, and at the end was Santa! Great Christmases simpler times.

Comment

I made a bit list of things I remember from past Xmases here:

https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...ere-Growing-Up
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X