Pine table & benches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pine table & benches

Remember when everyone you knew had a set in their kitchen?

Uncomfortable to sit on but very handy for going into a corner or against a wall.

Nowadays its all round tables but the rectangular pine sets were more practical for laying out a meal -just the benches gave you an aching butt by the time you got to your pudding

Re: Pine table & benches

we had a set many years ago.Not something you would see theses days.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by memoman View Post
      we had a set many years ago.Not something you would see theses days.
      Was looking through current Argos catalogue but none in there - its hard to even find a picture ( now lets see who's got a photo!)

Comment

Take your pick

Comment

Comment

Tell ya what - some of these are the 'posh ' ones with padding on ther benches - I don't think anybody I knew actually had that type.

Wherever you went, friends, relations, neighbours, it was always the same plain benches

Comment

We had a table set like that for years, but didn't get it out of a catalogue though.

My Mum sewed up some cushions for the bench & chairs to make them easier to sit on for long periods.

When we got a new table it went into the garage for a few years (the chairs were around the house as spares), but my brother now has it.

The York Castle Museum has one in their 1980s kitchen mock up:

The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
                Take your pick

Oh my goodness! we had that table and bench set in our kitchen, might even have a picture.
                Trouble was over time the benches got wobbley and if my brother got up suddenly I almost shot off the end
                Heather

Comment

I'd really love to have a good close-up snoop amongst the contents of those wall cupboards in that "1980's kitchen".

Comment

I think we must have had visions of grandeur in our house -

the table was a huge white formica monstrocity and the benches were of black leather padded stuff, but still just as uncomfortable to sit on and even the kids got jammed into one side and couldn't get out again without contortions!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                      I'd really love to have a good close-up snoop amongst the contents of those wall cupboards in that "1980's kitchen".
                      Me too. My mum still has that Moulinex gadget, she uses it to grind coffee beans - the lid is cracked and held together with Sellotape! (She's of the generation who won't throw ANYTHING away). You should see her kitchen - still has 1970's Hygiena QA units!

Comment

Here's how my parents kitchen looked in 1983.

The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Sorted
                          Heather

Comment

Yeah, we had a set in our house. There were basically like an outside picnic table/bench for your kitchen. You got a numb a r s e after sitting on the benches for a while though
                            Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

We had a white picnic table type thing that folded up.Weighed a ton and hurt your ****.

Looked a bit like this.Click image for larger version

Name:	PICNIC-TABLEs..gif
Views:	1
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	259656

tulip

Comment

Working...
                              X