milk and cigarette machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milk and cigarette machines

i remember machines on the streets, that you could get cartoons of milk or milkshakes, can u imagine cigarette machines still being around now, they would be broken into in all the time

Re: milk and cigarette machines

Originally posted by zofo1961 View Post
    i remember machines on the streets, that you could get cartoons of milk or milkshakes, can u imagine cigarette machines still being around now, they would be broken into in all the time
    I was in Germany a couple of years ago ( a fairly small town ) and cigarette machines were still fastened outside of shops and nobody robbed from them.

I mentioned this to the owner of my guesthouse and he expressed surprise at the very concept of them being robbed ...

"In mein country zis does not happen, ve are most law abiding"

I interpreted that to mean he was just following orders!

Comment

They still have cigarette machines on the walls in the street, but you have to put a chip & pin credit card in first as ID before you can use it

Comment

In about 1972 I remember an EGG MACHINE where 6 eggs would be dispatched in a polystyrene box - that wouldnt work today either the bad kids would buy them and throw em!

Comment

There are still old fashioned cigarette machines in Uxbridge tube station. Not in use obviously but advertising Players and such..

Comment

You still get cigarette machines in pubs.

Machines on the walls of newsagents dispensing bubble gum are getting rare, I've seem portable ones that can be taking inside a shop when it closes.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

There used to be (in the 70s) a milk machine outside our bus station. It also had cartons of orange juice. And inside the station there was a machine that sold bars of chocolate. The bars from the machine were not available anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by sickthings View Post
                There used to be (in the 70s) a milk machine outside our bus station. It also had cartons of orange juice. And inside the station there was a machine that sold bars of chocolate. The bars from the machine were not available anywhere else.
                a milk machine that sounds odd.

can u remember what these bars of chocolate where called mate.
                the ones that u only got from this machine.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                  can u remember what these bars of chocolate where called mate.
                  the ones that u only got from this machine.
                  The one I used to buy was called (something) crunch. It was in a blue & white wrapper and was a small bar of choc with rice crispy type bits inside. Cant remember what else was in there but I think there was a choice of about six different bars.

Comment

At the beginning of A Hard Days Night one of the characters uses one of these machines. - brings back lots of memories. Also remember machines that dispensed KP chewing gum..

Comment

Was walking through my local shopping mall the other day and saw a machine I'd not seen the like of, went over and it was chock full of mobile phones, sim cards, protective covers, digital camera cards etc...how times change....for the worst as there was a charm in seeing fag machines and chocolate machines of yore...

Comment

Originally posted by ggwillym View Post
                        At the beginning of A Hard Days Night one of the characters uses one of these machines. - brings back lots of memories. Also remember machines that dispensed KP chewing gum..
                        And at the end of Billy Liar, Billy Fisher jumps off the train to use one and misses going to London with Liz (Julie Christie).

Comment

I remember cigarette machines everywhere when i was an infant.It was a big thrill for me to watch MEN,use them,like my father,my grandfather and their friends.It was a MALE thing to my mind as i was growing up.No child would dare touch them,because all the male adults would warn them off very toughly and aggressively.As the 70's began,teens started to break into them very frequently,because they had seen and heard adults do it,either in practice or in the newspapers.A lot of shop keepers removed them after realizing it was just going to go on and on.
                          I also remember Nestle chocolate machines in the local train station.The chocolate was very milky and the wrappers were red and white.They were very popular,until people started breaking into them and stealing the chocolate and money.Then the station simply got rid of them,as they realized it was going to go on and on.
                          Does anybody remember outside communal taps?
                          We had one,which was meant for the locals to use to clean things and drink from.It was wonderful on hot days,much to the angst of the old age pensioners who hated the screams of excited children playing with it.It got shut off and removed in our block of flats,because people would turn it on at night,and by the morning,the whole place would be flooded.
                          It's always been a shame,that external machines selling things and communal water taps get removed,because an individual is selfish,greedy and criminal.

Comment

The one I used to buy was called (something) crunch. It was in a blue & white wrapper and was a small bar of choc with rice crispy type bits inside. Cant remember what else was in there but I think there was a choice of about six different bars.
                            One of them was Nestle's Dairy Crunch I think.

Comment

Originally posted by BillySmartsC View Post
                              One of them was Nestle's Dairy Crunch I think.
                              thanks mate.
                              thats it thats the one i was trying to remember in the blue and white wrapper.
                              lovely it was.
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                              X