Snow Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow Memories

They reckon its going to snow and be cold next week, like it was in the 70's!!!!

What are your memories of snow as a kid?

In primary school we had wet playtimes where we couldn't go out and had to stay in reading comics.

I remember the playground froze and the boys got told off for sliding on it.

We would make snowmen till our gloves got wringing wet.

My mother would make a steaming beef and vegetable stew in a casserole dish with a blue enamel inside, and i would sit by the fire which gave out very little heat even with two bars on, other than to burn your leg in one place, and watch rentaghost or something else on tv.There was no central heating and going upstairs to bed in winter wasnt nice, the sheets were icy and we had a hot water bottle but it was still freezing for about ten minutes.

Once i fell in an icy puddle right outside the bakers, i started to cry and the baker came and gave me a cake.

Re: Snow Memories

Originally posted by magneticfly View Post
    They reckon its going to snow and be cold next week, like it was in the 70's!!!!
    Has it not snowed and been cold since then?

My major memory of Snow as a kid was the Teatray sledge on ahillside, or my mum making us put our feet in Tiger Bread bags, then putting our shoes on, then another bag over the top of the shoes.
    Still have an early 70's picture of my feet wrapped up like that

Comment

Didn't mind it as a child but it spelt bad news when I was at college. There was a nearby secondary school that used to use snowballs as an excuse to attack anything that didn't wear the same uniform. They decided it would be amusing to embed stones within the snowballs. I remember one lad getting beaten up quite badly as he dared to protest when he was pelted.
      "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Nice post Magneticfly.
        My first memory of the snow was at the age of four or five. At the side of our house there was a field where horses were tethered during the summer but at winter time with it was transformed.

There was a large bank to one side and I remember sliding down on a makeshift sledge with my older brother and sister in the late evening. I can still remember the warmth of the house afterwards as my clothes dried out and watching the heavy flakes slowly fall outside in the dark.

Every winter since then, that feeling - it never changes.
        Hope it snows soon!

Comment

Originally posted by jason h View Post
          Hope it snows soon!
          You just might be in luck. The weather forecast for the run-up to and including Christmas looks very promising. Very cold, showers turning to snow for many.

I hope it comes off. A white Christmas would be brilliant.
          Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

1981 - 1982 sticks in my mind, it was the year that I was at college in year 1 Beauty Therapy. I had to struggle 20 minutes walk through the snow with my heavy case, I was the only student to get to the lecture! The snow was knee high! And the silence was incredible, snow has the quality for making everything you hear normally sound so different?

My Dad a local Auto Engineer,was out replacing batteries and trying to start engines that had suffered from the severe temperatures. 2010 has certainly brought back 80's freezing memories for me!

Comment

we never really get much snow where iam but one year between 79 and 82 the snow was suiper deep.
              it must have been 3 feet deep and we could not get out the friont door without having to literally dig our way out.

but that year i had a super time building so many snowmen and i felt sad when they melted.

but behind my house rthere is a big slope so i got an old bag one of those ones you get sticks,blocks in.
              sat on top of the bag holding by the sides and going down the slope at high speed shooting across the fields.

another was up in the mountains when my uncle took me ansd my older brother up the mountains when covered in snow we would do the same thing sliding down the mountains in the same bag sticks,blocks came in.

a few times i wended up in a very cold icy stream a wide stream.
              yes i got soaked froze to death but i loved it.

we did this for many many yrs on different mountains.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

It always seemed to snow in winter when I was little, although I know it probably wasn't the case.

People are talking about '81/'82 being bad and perhaps that is what I can remember the most. I certainly remember being taken out on my sledge a lot in deep snow and have a very vivid snapshot of being pulled along the street on a bright Sunday with snow falling, wearing a pair of goggles fashioned out of some clear plastic packaging from around my gran's ointment bottle! (each side of the bottle shape folding out to make the lenses). Funny what sticks in the mind!

I think '85/'86 was quite bad too IIRC, but I don't remember any more big falls until 2010.
                1976 Vintage

Comment

yes chrimbo 2010 was incredible snow wise over here.
                  i spent hrs walking in it.
                  it really was a winter wonderland.
                  the snow was so very deep but nice and powdery.

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                  It always seemed to snow in winter when I was little, although I know it probably wasn't the case.

People are talking about '81/'82 being bad and perhaps that is what I can remember the most. I certainly remember being taken out on my sledge a lot in deep snow and have a very vivid snapshot of being pulled along the street on a bright Sunday with snow falling, wearing a pair of goggles fashioned out of some clear plastic packaging from around my gran's ointment bottle! (each side of the bottle shape folding out to make the lenses). Funny what sticks in the mind!

I think '85/'86 was quite bad too IIRC, but I don't remember any more big falls until 2010.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember early 1987 having quite heavy snow near me, along with a heavyish fall in 1991 just in time for half term!

1996 had 2 lots that were thick enough to cause problems.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember when we moved to our new house it snowed.It was the first time me and my brother were allowed out alone to play in it.My brother came back with blue hands and had to have medical treatment,as he never wore gloves,just played about all day in the snow with his bare hands.
                      I remember the second time it snowed,i use to walk to my mates house around the corner.We would just walk around in it and,because it was a novelty and it stayed light during the night,we were allowed to stay out until quite late.we loved walking around at night in the snow,and loved how light and clear it was.I still remember standing in his doorway a few nights in a row,and marveling at how wonderful and peaceful everywhere was.

Comment

My biggest memory of snow -haven't seen it since coming to OZ-is of when dad walked my brother and i to school one day ( I must have been 5 or 6 ).I kept slipping over and so my dad -who was 6 feet 5 inches tall and strongly built-held my arm. ....The result was that i still slipped but pulled him dowm with me....Don't know how i managed that as i was skinny and light as a feather..Those behind us must have been laughing like hell.

Comment

Working...
                        X