Double Decker Buses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Decker Buses

When ever we went anywhere by Bus when I was little, I always stood at the stop willing it in my head for it to be a Double Decker that came along.
    It was so exciting as a child to be able to sit up top, we never sat on the front seat though as there was always that big mirrored tunnel thing that allowed the driver to see what was going on, remember those? Oh and the plastic track on the roof that led to the bell. Happy memories
    Heather

Re: Double Decker Buses

As a kid, they were ALL double-deckers in East Kent. Not been back there for 14 years, so no idea what's they're running now. All little Hopper buses, I suspect. Always remember sitting right at the front upstairs, and they used to have this 'periscope' contraption which the driver used to see who was mucking about on the top deck. You could look through this glass window down onto the drivers' head.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

Comment

A bus company just up the street use double deckers for school/college runs .But no double deckers used by regular bus company.At least none on regular services.This is what's left of a bus. full of school kids told they have to go back to school yesterday!LOL!!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	n1127770056_30257461_5096.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	259519
      sigpic

Comment

When I was using a bus for college & work I tried to sit at the front of the top deck, mostly because it was easy to see to see where I was going & when I was getting to my stop.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

As a youngster I loved sitting on the top deck at the front too, but my favourite memory is standing on the open platform at the back of the bus, bouncing around.
          There was always that danger you might fall off and that was exciting!
          sigpic
          'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I loved double deckers too! I loved to stare down that long mirror thing to the driver! Bet the drivers really hated kids doing that! I remember those rubber strips that contained the bell in the roof that Huggie mentioned too.
            Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

In West Cornwall, we still have the double-deckers with the periscope mirror thing. We also have the open topped double deckers. Don't sit on the left on top when travelling on the Land's End bus. If they've not cut back the overhanging tree branches, it can be a bit dangerous!

When I make trips to London, I like to use what they now call the 'heritage' buses; the open backed 'routemasters' that run between Charing Cross and The Tower of London. They remind me of happy times in the seventies, visiting my aunt and going for days out around the capital.

Comment

I loved those 'Routemasters'. It was an end of an era when they discontinued using them for normal service. There was something kinda romantic about jumping on and off one of those buses! Or maybe my memories are rose tinted!
                Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

We still have double deckers where I live but they are only used for the bus to London and I believe they are still used in Somerset (Or at least they still were last time I visited the folks).

I remember as a small kid insisting on sitting at the front near the periscope so I could "Drive the bus" and being warned by my mum that if I looked down it the driver would kick me off! And the top deck was for smokers back in the day! I spent many a trip into town chugging away on a menthol (Parents and teachers can't smell menthol cigarettes...of course...of course ).

Happy memories!

Comment

Originally posted by AFBulimia View Post
                    And the top deck was for smokers back in the day! I spent many a trip into town chugging away on a menthol (Parents and teachers can't smell menthol cigarettes...of course...of course ).
                    You were lucky! Oop north we had to share a Players No. 10 between 4 or 5 of us. I'm all for share and share alike but you only got 1 drag each!
                    By 'eck, there's greased lightning about that lad!

Comment

Most of the buses in Edinburgh are double deckers and I love going on top (oo err) - but now they are equipped with cameras to spy on the passengers above!!

Comment

I loved riding on the top of double deckers aswell.I spent most of my childhood forced to sit downstairs,so it was a glorious treat to get upstairs,especially to sit at the front.

Comment

I used to love the old Routemasters and would always sit upstairs above the driver. I remember at the time there was a bus all painted up in zebra colours (must have been advertising something) and was dying to have a ride on it, God knows why!

Comment

Originally posted by steveffisher View Post
                            As a kid, they were ALL double-deckers in East Kent. Not been back there for 14 years, so no idea what's they're running now. All little Hopper buses, I suspect. Always remember sitting right at the front upstairs, and they used to have this 'periscope' contraption which the driver used to see who was mucking about on the top deck. You could look through this glass window down onto the drivers' head.
                            There are still plenty of double deckers in East Kent, I don't use them much because I drive everywhere, but on the rare occasion I need to use one, I still go upstairs - better views.
                            "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I loved double deckers. Most of the buses around my way were double deckers but I rarely went on the top deck because it was for smokers and my parents didn't smoke. But when I was bit older and let loose on my own it was straight to the top deck and the front seat. I remember the first time me and my friend were allowed to go to Newcastle on our own. We were about 10 and set off to do Christmas shopping on the 300. If I remember we did our entire shop in Poundstretchers. Much Hi Karate and Tweed was bought along with some nasty perfume and prostitute red nail varnish for ourselves from the bargain bin.
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                              X