Cowboy Gun Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowboy Gun Game?

Hi All, Wondering if anyone can help me remember the name of a game I used to have as a kid back in the late 70's. It was a large plastic moulded board with terrain all over it, in 2 of the corners were hills with indents where you would rest your revolver-type gun. The gun was spring loaded and shot little plastic, realistic looking bullets and had a small arm on the bottom (to insert into the hills). Two players would put little model cowboys all over the terrain and you'd take turns trying to shoot them. It was such a good game back then, but I can't for the life of me find it anywhere. Thanks in advance!

Re: Cowboy Gun Game?

Lordy, that rings bells! but can't recall off top of head. First thing I thought of was Ideal's Gunfight At The OK Corral, but after finding the pictures, its seems not.
    (just seems a western themed version of Crossfire)

Will keep looking as I do remember this one

Comment

I know *exactly* what you mean, but never saw the game (Sheriffs and Outlaws?) for real.

It was a picture (of "other products in this line" type) on the box of a game I had of a naval battle, called "Armada", with the similar idea: 3-d plastic board (in my case two boards, probably also the cowboy game ) with a cannon in each corner. It wasn't just a shooting gallery.

Wow! one is up on eBay at the moment. Out of my price league for a game, currently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Amarda.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	259542
      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARMADA-GAME-19...item35a53a600e
      Last edited by Heather74; 14-01-2010, 11:43. Reason: adding picture
      "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

Glad you know what I'm talking about, it was a cross between both these games! I'll carry on my search, but Sheriffs and Outlaws sounds familiar.

Anyway, thanks a lot guys and thanks for the effort of responding.

Comment

Originally posted by Philobeddoe View Post
          Glad you know what I'm talking about, it was a cross between both these games! .
          Yes, the cowboy verson had a bumpy sand-coloured terrain with paths marked by dotted lines. There were a brown and a black set of figures.
          Replacing the cannon in the naval game were, as you say, pistols which had a downward extension with a rounded end which fitted a dimple one at each side of the board.
          (Unless my memory is misbehaving: a possibility not to be totally discounted.)

We had a lot of fun with Armada and I always kept an eye out for its brother game, but never found it.

Good luck!

Comment

Addendum.
            Just having a little search, to not much effect, I did find this snippet:
            "I remember a friend had something called 'Ambush'. It was a fairly big plastic wild west mountain scene with a plastic gun on a pivot and you just shot each others cowboys. Great!"

If it is "Ambush" it is going to be tricky to hunt for, as Armada was: too many overlaps.
            I already have a set of board games (excellent) from the 80's called Ambush. (Avalon Hill/Victory Games)
            Last edited by Emettman; 14-01-2010, 19:05. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Getting closer.. Good work

Comment

Originally posted by Emettman View Post
                Addendum.
                Just having a little search, to not much effect, I did find this snippet:
                "I remember a friend had something called 'Ambush'. It was a fairly big plastic wild west mountain scene with a plastic gun on a pivot and you just shot each others cowboys. Great!"

If it is "Ambush" it is going to be tricky to hunt for, as Armada was: too many overlaps.
                I already have a set of board games (excellent) from the 80's called Ambush. (Avalon Hill/Victory Games)
                Hehehe. Yep, you've got it. I'd even forgotten about those dotted lines, ah, memories. Getting nostalgic over dotted lines, who'd have thought it?!

I re-read your first post and I see what you mean now, as in it was advertised on the back of 'Ambush', I didn't quite grasp that at first.

Well, if I do find it I'll get you all over for a game. In the meantime I'll be on Modern Warfare 2. Which, obviously, isn't anywhere near as good!

If you do find any pics please post them.

Cheers chaps!

Comment

Slightly tangential, but this Ideal game looks to be very similar to Armada.

King of the Sea

Sadly I checked to see if Ideal made a similar Cowboy game, but turned up nothing

Comment

Nice find!
                    That is the same game (apart from not using the same moulds!) but the American version, it would appear, with a different name.
                    I wonder if there was also an American and a British version of the cowboy game, also giving us two names: "Sheriffs (Deputies?) and Outlaws" and "Ambush"?

I might be able to think up new search variations from that.

Comment

I searched BBG for all "cowboy", "outlaw", etc games but came up short.
                      I only found KOTS whilst searching old American Wishbooks. Saw the layout seemed the same so hoped ideal had marketed the Cowboy thing too, but nothing was found.
                      Condor games on the Original box, gave me nothing

I shall search on.
                      The DYR Police never sleep

Comment

Ambush

Click image for larger version

Name:	ambush.jpg
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	259577Click image for larger version

Name:	ambush3.jpg
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	259576Click image for larger version

Name:	ambush2.jpg
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	259575

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1970s-RARE-AMB...item51902eb517
                        Heather

Comment

Yay!!

Comment

Oh Wow, Heather! Well done for keeping an eye out!

Interesting: unless there was another version (unlikely?) my memory gave me black and brown figures, not blue and grey, which may show the weakness of memory.
                            But the box photo on the Armada game was noticeably different in detail from the contents. I suspected the box art was from a prototype.
                            Might the same thing have happened here? I'd have to find an Armada box to be sure, to check against my memory.
                            It's these lttle mysteries...

Comment

Waaaheeyy! Well done that girl! That is the baby! I think you're right about the figures though and I'm sure mine had grey guns.

Thanks again for all your efforts, you're all living legends.

Comment

Working...
                              X