quickies!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quickies!!

Does anyone remember quickies??? You could only buy them at the Ideal Homes exhibitions,they were like plastic looking square crips,but,when you put them into hot oil they turned into quaver type things.

They were yummy!

tulip

Re: quickies!!

My wife has told me about these and i thought she was making it up !!! So they do exist then for real, not just in her head !!!

If anyone does have any info on these, please please tell me and tulip !!!

thanks (in advance)

djspenna

Comment

Sounds like the crispy noodles you used to get in the Vesta meals!! I loved those!!
      Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Hey, I remember these. I'd forgotten all about them until your thread. I didn't think they were called quickies though. Maybe they were also known by a different name??
        You just dropped a handful of squares in boiling fat and whoosh! within a a matter of seconds they puffed up and looked like square quavers.

Originally posted by tulip View Post
        Does anyone remember quickies??? You could only buy them at the Ideal Homes exhibitions,they were like plastic looking square crips,but,when you put them into hot oil they turned into quaver type things.

They were yummy!

tulip

Comment

I remember them but the name quickies is ringing no bells here, but I am searching

got to agree with Stuckinthe80's the fried noodles in the Vesta meals were lovely
          Heather

Comment

I bought these at the 1988 Ideal Home Exibition.
            They came in a plain bag, so I never knew the name.
            The Vesta things are two other memories. The crispy noodles that come with the Vesta Chow Mein are great..wish they sold them in greater qualities seperately
            Vesta also used to sell Prawn Crackers in the solid form, which you just stuck in boiling oil like the noodles.
            These were awesome, as they were bite sized, rather than the huge ones you get from the Chinese

Happy days

I still buy the Vesta Chow Mein, despite it tasting nothing like Chow Mein

Its a unique food product and long may it live

Comment

Something I'd completely forgotten about. But yes; that woosh in the hot fat! It seemed a little miracle when I was a kid. I also remember that when you put them on your tongue they would sort of 'grip' it. I know that sounds strange, but it's difficult to describe. We always bought ours at the Surrey County Agricultural show.

Comment

Yes I too got these from the IHE at Earls Court, but I don't know the name of them.
                They were lovely and they did indeed grip your tongue MB, I know exactly what you mean.

Vesta crispy noodles are delish! My mouth's watering now.
                sigpic
                'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I had totally forgotten about those prawn crackers!! My Mum used to buy them. I used to make myself some Batchelors 'Special Fried' fruity rice (in a black packet) to go with them.
                  Another long lost favourite!!!
                  Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

I remember getting them from the East Of England Agric Show. I'm totally with you on the tongue gripping bit. I think it was because they sort of melted slightly on your tongue if you get my drift.

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                    Something I'd completely forgotten about. But yes; that woosh in the hot fat! It seemed a little miracle when I was a kid. I also remember that when you put them on your tongue they would sort of 'grip' it. I know that sounds strange, but it's difficult to describe. We always bought ours at the Surrey County Agricultural show.

Comment

I remember Ringos did something like that you my toungue as well.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

WAAAYYYHAYYY.Glad you know what Im on about.I tried googling them,but can't find anything.Im positive thats what they are called,I will double check with my brother,certainly my mum recognised the name.

They didn't half grip your tongue.Im sure there was a variety of flavours,bacon perhaps being one.I loved them,I want some NOW with some cremola foam to drink!!!

tulip

Comment

Never had quickies but got something similar at a Chinese supermarket the other day. Just as you describe, look like plastic discs, different colours in my case, bung em in hot fat and you have yourself a load of big fat prawn crackers. Lovely but horrendously oily for the health conscious!
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                          X