Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else have stick-on 'warm' polystryrene toilet seat covers in the 80s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else have stick-on 'warm' polystryrene toilet seat covers in the 80s?

Hello,

Awkward admission.

At the start of the 80s, my parents had, for three or four years, white thin polystyrene tiolet seat covers that they stuck on to our loo seats. They bought them from somewhere. I wouldn't know where.

The idea, of course, was that they negated that 'ooh-ooh' moment when you (ahem) lower yourself onto a cold toilet seat. Polystyrene doesn't conduct heat or cold, I suppose, so they always felt warm enough....even in the middle of the coldest winters.

Now, I'd just started secondary school, and both old and new mates, after visiting my house, proper took the mickey at school. Were they secretly envious? Probably not, actually.

I nagged my parents to be rid of these monstrous toilet seat toppers, made from the same polystyrene as chippy trays. I could not take the ridicule at school. Lads I barely knew would wander up and ask, "You're the lad with the heated bog-seats, aren't you?" It was hardly that technological.

But secretly, I liked the fact I could plonk myself down on the toilet with no hesitation. Lovely, every time.

I doubt they're still sold. They must have been unhygenic. Back then, I never ever saw them in any other house. Just us, then?

But I'm a ruined man. I still miss the warmth.

....Jamo.
    Last edited by Jamo; 09-05-2010, 23:21. Reason: spelling

Re: Anyone else have stick-on 'warm' polystryrene toilet seat covers in the 80s?

LOL
    Never had one , but I remember seeing the ads for them in newspapers

Comment

Re: Anyone else have stick-on 'warm' polystryrene toilet seat covers in the 80s?

This looks totally unhygienic

http://www.sourcingmap.com/type-bath...l?currency=GBP

Just put paper on the rim, like you do in public toilets.. the "A** gasket"
      Last edited by Heather74; 10-05-2010, 00:47. Reason: Over sensitive swear filter

Comment

Thats just wrong in so many ways
        Heather

Comment

we never had polystyrene stick on toilet seat covers.
          in fact i knew no one who did.
          id think they where comfortable though and not cold.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember my Mum had our loo seats changed from black to white ones because the black ones to here looked too utilitarian, & ended up handing around in our garage on the wall for years afterwards.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

hiw many yrs did u have these as toilet seats.
              where the black or white ones more or less comfortable than each other.

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
              I remember my Mum had our loo seats changed from black to white ones because the black ones to here looked too utilitarian, & ended up handing around in our garage on the wall for years afterwards.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Yes, my Mum did. They were called "Warma Seat" and had 4 double backed sticky squares on the bottom to attach to the toilet seat.

She bought them from Dunlee Supplies, Sherwood Street, Scarborough, YO11 1ST. They cost £2.50 incl VAT and P & P. Later she started using these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L9M3Y...ding=UTF8&th=1. which as you can see may still be obtained at about the same price as the polystyrene seat warma's all those years ago (except £2.50 the was more like £9.00 today!!).

However, like another poster here I use toilet paper folded over 2 or 3 times and it's just as good. Females would probably appreciate the covered toilet seat as they always have to sit down whereas we only have to do that when pooing and can use the toilet paper liner on the seat for it's intended purpose afterwards (2 uses for the price of one!!)

Comment

Nope... never seen or heard of a polystyrene toilet seat cover until now.
                  I do however have happy memories of the smell of creosote and the company of spiders, crane flies and the unforgiving texture of Izal toilet tissue.
                  Whatever happened to those outside lavs?

Comment

Originally posted by W1 Rover View Post
                    Nope... never seen or heard of a polystyrene toilet seat cover until now.
                    I do however have happy memories of the smell of creosote and the company of spiders, crane flies and the unforgiving texture of Izal toilet tissue.
                    Whatever happened to those outside lavs?
                    Demolished thank goodness. I remember freezing in my Gran's outside loo (you never stayed there any longer than you absoloutely had to), wondering how the wooden water cistern, seemingly suspended in mid air to my young eyes (in reality bolted to the wall about 5 or 6 feet up the wall) didn't:

1. Fall down and

2. let all the water out as I knew wood wasn't waterproof.

As for that awful medicated izal paper that smeared poo al over it instead of holding it on the paper, freezing cold and it felt like sandpaper - aaaarrrrgghh, good riddance!

Comment

I keep thinking of the colour-coordinated "carpet" that was put on the top of the toilet seat that I used to see in John England and other mail order catalogues in the 1980s - the toilet seat was the same as the carpet underneath.
                      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Nooby View Post

Demolished thank goodness. I remember freezing in my Gran's outside loo (you never stayed there any longer than you absoloutely had to), wondering how the wooden water cistern, seemingly suspended in mid air to my young eyes (in reality bolted to the wall about 5 or 6 feet up the wall) didn't:

1. Fall down and

2. let all the water out as I knew wood wasn't waterproof.

As for that awful medicated izal paper that smeared poo al over it instead of holding it on the paper, freezing cold and it felt like sandpaper - aaaarrrrgghh, good riddance!
                        I'll bet some of those old cisterns, toilet bowls , brackets etc are quite collectable now. Unfortunately I don't have a selection of vintage Armitage Shanks at my disposal, mores the pity!

Comment

Working...
                        X