Staying up late.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying up late.

As a child, what were the reasons you were allowed to stay up late?

Here's my top three:

1. The babysitter was easygoing and good fun.
    2. Mum was out and Dad was in charge of bedtime.
    3. An Apollo rocket was about to launch!

Re: Staying up late.

At the age of 7 i had a portable in my bedroom so i used to watch the horror double bill late friday nights.Till 2am.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by memoman View Post
      At the age of 7 i had a portable in my bedroom so i used to watch the horror double bill late friday nights.Till 2am.
      Me too! I would often fall asleep, so I'd miss most of the second film.

Comment

I remember being allow to stay up late a few times when we have visitors. Sometimes I might be allowed to see something on TV I really wanted to watch, like the one-off Across The Water with Anthony Hopkins as Donald Campbell.

1987/8 was the first year I stayed up to see the new year in.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Sometimes when we had visitors.Can't really remember when else.Used to get to stay up till ten at my Gran and grandpa's if we stayed there on a Saturday night.

tulip

Comment

Originally posted by Chris68 View Post
            Me too! I would often fall asleep, so I'd miss most of the second film.
            Sometimes i was like that.Good old days indeed!
            sigpic

Comment

I can only really remember being allowed to stay up late on holidays to Butlins.
              Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                I can only really remember being allowed to stay up late on holidays to Butlins.
                I recall staying up late with mum and dad in the 'Pig & Whistle' bar, in Butlins Bognor. Of course, there's a whole other site for that - bit not many people there recall 1974, alas.

Comment

I used to go dancing in Bournmouth when I was about four.Then they stopped allowing kids in wherever it was and I couldn't go anymore.There is a picture somewhere of me dancing with a complete stranger wearing a yellow dress.In the 70's your parents didn't mind you dancing with strange old men!

tulip

Comment

Did Butins have a Pig & Whistle at all their sites, I remember the Minehead having a pub of that name in 1985.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Was never allowed to stay up late.But would spend most weekends sleeping over at a friends house.He had a teenage brother,and always had friends over.So us being about ten used to love it.Made us feel so grown up hanging around the older boys.If we were lucky we even got a go on his CB radio.

Comment

We were only allowed to stay up late on the one week we were away on holiday. We used to go by coach from the Midlands to Cornwall and used to travel overnight - it took all night and we were guaranteed to arrive tired and crabby at about 6am. I still have photos of my brother and I (in matching quilted anoraks, green one year, blue another) and mum and dad walking along the front carrying our suitcases. I think staying up late on holiday meant we didn't go to bed until after 10pm!

On the rare occasions mum was out and dad was in charge at home, my brother and I used to ask for hot orange squash as our bedtime drink. This was served in mugs and we used to spin out drinking it so we could watch the end of Alias Smith & Jones and sometimes even some of Call My Bluff. Mugs were good because he couldn't see how much you did or didn't have left to drink.

Happy days!
                        "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Originally posted by tulip View Post
                          I used to go dancing in Bournmouth when I was about four.Then they stopped allowing kids in wherever it was and I couldn't go anymore.There is a picture somewhere of me dancing with a complete stranger wearing a yellow dress.In the 70's your parents didn't mind you dancing with strange old men!

tulip
                          hi tulip did you ever get into dancing again say ballet or tap dancing.

Originally posted by darren View Post
                          hi tulip did you ever get into dancing again say ballet or tap dancing.
                          sad they stopped allowing kids in.
                          can you remember why this was T.??
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I used to stay with my Nan at weekends. She'd let me stay up to watch horror films with her. If one came on after I'd gone to bed she'd come and get me up

Comment

i was allowed top stay up to ten on the weekends.

i watched thats life every sunday it was on from nine till ten.

noprmally half nine during the rest of the week as i had secondary school to go to.
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                              X