Flash Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash Cards

Learning to read, what a palava. Our teacher had us come up to her desk one by one and would have a pile of words on cards that we would have to reel off. Hated it, especially the sneaky multi-word ones. Still remember freaking out when faced with the dreaded 'brush and comb' card.

Anyway one day I saw that cool game on playschool where you pick up paper fish with magnetic rods. Went to school the next day full of it, telling the teacher how good it was. I was beside myself when she came in a few days later with the game. She let me have first go as it was my idea. I got a fish and then she says, now turn it over and read the word on the back! What!?! There was another perfectly good game ruined in the name of education...
    Last edited by Trickyvee; 04-07-2010, 09:31.
    1976 Vintage

Re: Flash Cards

My Infants School used to use flash cards and I personally think they were very good for learning to read.
    Does anyone else agree?
    sigpic
    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Flash cards are good when used in conjunction with other teaching aids. Children have different learning styles so some don't respond to purely visual stimulus. Maybe you were one of those Tricky.
      "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I remember having some activity flashcards in the first year infants, 1 or 2 pupils used to cheat by looking though all the cards until they found something they liked the sound of.

Even before I started school my Mum made some cards with single basic words on them to help me to learn.

At school we had some with a magnectic stripe on, which when put though a machine would play a clip of someone speaking the word.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
        X