Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tetley Tea & Maynard's...bringing back the old timers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tetley Tea & Maynard's...bringing back the old timers!

Hi guys,

A shameless bit of self promotion , but I was just writing a news article for my hobby site The Great Bristish Diet and thought you would be interested.

After Milky Way brought back the fabulous 'Red Car vs Blue Car' ad, Tetley have decided to kick-off a new ad campaign with a revival of their iconic 'tea folk' characters and Maynard's have brought back Maynard the Moose.

I am particularly excited about the Tetley news and think this move will work well in reconnecting a large section of the public with the brand after growing up with the ‘tea folk’ ads. Admittedly, as I said in my article, I and others I have spoken to cannot remember any Tetley ads in the last few years even though there have been ones on TV. All I can remember is the PG Tips ads with Johnny Vegas and their puppet character 'Monkey' which probably explains why Tetley, although retaining its place on store shelves, has faded from many people's consciousness and the likes of PG Tips have fared so well.

Anyway, another healthy dose of nostalgia seems to be on its way.

All the best,

Matthew
    www.thegreatbritishdiet.co.uk ....have a look around and say hello!

Re: Tetley Tea & Maynard's...bringing back the old timers!

Just for your cheek we'll let it go just this once
    Heather

Comment

Thanks huggie...now how much was it again

Comment

I remember the Tetley Teafolk ads were voiced-overed by Brian Glover & later James Bolam.

PG Tips used some plasticene birds (by Aardman Animations) for a few years before Johnny Vegas & Monkey.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Hi Richard,

Yeah that's right.

I grew up watching the PG Tips Chimp ads but, in 2002 I believe, they were retired and went down in history as the longest running characters in British TV advertising. As said, they were replaced by bird characters (called the T-birds) courtesy of Aardman along with some appearances from Wallace & Gromit (still got my Gromit PG Tips mug). Nowadays PG Tips have the 'Monkey' character but unfortunately Tetley haven't kept up the pace advertising wise. However, just seeing those 'tea folk' ads again quickly reminded me about why I used to like this brand so much and I think a lot of people might react similarly.

Matthew

Comment

How long before Brains, Bixie, Brian, Dunk and Crunch march back onto our screens?!
            "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Hi Austin Maxi

That would be a site to see...the old Neet Weet Gang with Dunk’s “If you know what’s good for you” billowing out to people on their LCDs and plasmas.

To be honest, I have mixed emotions about all these revivals in the same way I do with directors constantly doing x number of sequels or redoing classics. On one hand, it is absolutely fabulous for us nostalgia fans to see these things again and it brings back so many memories. But, on the other hand, the more they do it the more it underscores a lack of creativity and the fact that they really can’t make them like they used to. Especially with film, I feel there has been far too much focus on special effects...all great stories begin with a great plot and everything else is there only as instruments to enhance the story. Incidentally, that is why I am such a great fan of radio because, with no visual distractions for the viewer, content can only focus on plot.

Oh well, not wanting to go in to a full-blown rant about the state of film and TV, I better stop there

All the best,

Matthew

Comment

My uncle worked for Weetabix for many years & we managed to get some goodies at a discounted rate. I still have a late 1980s Weetabix Atlas around, & there's a history book in a similar style at my parents house.

My Brother joined the fan club in the mid 1980s & got a lot of freebies from that.

Comment

Hi Richard,

Ah, had a guy on the inside...I like your style! Seriously, that sounds fascinating...if you manage to get any bits together then I think everyone on DYR would love to see some pics.

I must say, mentioning all of that reminds me once again of how much more interesting things used to be with freebies, fan clubs, memorable characters like the Neet Weet Gang etc. When it came to especially kid’s products, all of this stuff really helped inject as much fun and participation in to products as possible and consequently consumers built up a relationship with brands. Nowadays, all kids get is, for example, a box of cereal with at best some colourfully designed packaging...things have definitely gone a step backwards.

Kind regards,

Matthew

Comment

I should be able to take a picture of the atlas cover, & I'll see if I have any other bits & pieces around, some have been chucked out over the years.

Comment

Thanks Richard, that's much appreciated. Needless to say I have thrown away too much over the years only to wish I hadn't.

All the best,

Matthew

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2266.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	259733

Here's the Atlas I was referring to.

Comment

That was quick Richard...the atlas looks great.

If I was guessing, the one in the foreground must be Dunk with the axe accompanying the Red Indian outfit and in the background, from left to right, Brains with the glasses; Crunch with the baguette and dodgy-looking eyes; Bixie as the girl of the gang and Brian as the younger looking one.

Inside the atlas, is each map plain or do the characters make appearances throughout? Also, do you remember what year this was from?

Thanks,

Matthew

Comment

The characters do appear in a few of the pages insisde (will try to take some pictures, don't have a scanner).

It was published in 1988, so was out of date only a year or 2 later.

Comment

That's funny...with us just talking about the Weetabix fan club, I have just finished writing a news report on a United Biscuits story after going on their website this morning to discover they are launching a McVitie's VIP Club!

As the blurb goes, "Running across 360 million packs of McVitie’s biscuits in the first year, including McVitie’s Digestives, Jaffa Cakes, Hobnobs and Penguin, the McVitie’s VIP Club packs will be available from the 16th August. Each pack will have its own unique code that consumers will be directed to input onto www.mcvities.co.uk/vipclub to claim tea break treats. Consumers can either claim smaller prizes or they can build a collection of points in order to claim bigger and better rewards. Tea break treats on offer include discounted magazine subscriptions, designer tea pots, kettles and digital radios as well as McVitie’s branded merchandise."

It sounds like it could be a lot of fun and will encourage people to get a bit more involved with the brand...obviously someone in marketing saw our discussion on the matter

All the best,

Matthew

Comment

Working...
                              X