The Three Investigators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Three Investigators

Does anyone remember this series? Pete Crenshaw?, Jupiter Jones?, and Bob...summat, the three investigators!
    The mystery of the stuttering parrot
    The mystery of terror castle
    etc.
    You could buy the audio adaptions on cassette.
    Sadly, not available today:cry:

Re: The Three Investigators

I can remember hearing the Stuttering Parrot once at school, which had a few talking books, mostly Famous Five ones.

I've still have Rough Stuff, book 3 in the series, which I was given for Xmas in the early 1990s.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Forgot to mention (& too late to edit!) the books were similar in style to The Hardy Boys in some ways.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember the Hardy boys (vagely) and liked them.
        p.s. I think it was the "Secret" of Terror castle.
        I remember getting the tape and it was abit scary at the time (until the mystery was solved!).
        It's the audios I really remember. They should be re-released
        Although, I think I've still got a book or two.
        Stuttering parrot, whispering mummy (never got in book or tape).

Comment

My cousin used to read them. There were a lot of references to Alfred Hitchcock. I know he was mentioned in them in frequent glowing terms as the 'master detective' etc.

Comment

That's right, it was...(deep voice) "Alfred Hitchcock presents...The Three Investigators IN...(dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun)...The Mystery Of The Stuttering Parrot!" (Or one of the other ones, such as The Secret Of Terror Castle.)
            I bought some AH presents books at the time and they were horror/mystery short-story compilations. Some of the stories were quite scary.
            To this day, I wont go to sleep with an open hand up...in case I feel a cold, clammy clasp from a wraith of the sea...

Comment

I've seen the movies! lol never read the books though

Comment

Late the party ... again

I collected these in the early 80's and have them on display at home. It was by chance I picked up the first one in WH Smiths, but I quickly got into the stories and it became a real treat to go into town with my pocket money and buy another book in the series.

Loved the 'telephone hook up' where one kid would phone 2 kids, and they would phone some more .. all before the Internet and mobiles.

I thought I was collecting the latest edition of the books but came across some older hardback versions in our local 2nd hand bookshop a few weeks back.

Comment

Originally posted by AmethystWitch View Post
                  I've seen the movies! lol never read the books though
                  I've seen the movies, and liked them, but they don't have much to do with the original stories.
                  The Secret of Terror Castle audio can be heard in its entirety on yt.

Thing that I always wondered, about the audio-cassette series, was why I only ever heard the above and the Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot. There was something about a Whispering Mummy but never heard her! Never met anyone who heard any others than Terror and Parrot.

Comment

I just got all nostalgic about these again and read the Mystery of the headless horse, and the coughing dragon (I only say this to stay relevant to the Books, Comics and magazines forum!)
                    Back to the cassettes tho, I was puzzled I could find barely a mention of them anywhere. I'd assumed they were popular as I and some of my friends had them. The only reference to them was a blog where a guy said that he was happy to say he had both of them, which suggests that only those two stories were adapted by that company at that time. (Rainbow childrens theatre, I believe was their full name.) Which would explain why I never saw or heard any of the others, and puts that to rest for me, as I always had this sense that there were loads more and I missed out.
                    I'm going to get more of the original books tho, the ones by creator Robert Arthur.

Comment

Reading The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy! Loving it, so well written as a boys adventure novel, so classic old school. It's not often you revisit your past and are not disappointed. You can't get new copies, this one was printed in 1971. Saw a copy on e-bay of The Secret of Terror Castle, original hard back, £60!!!

Comment

Yeah, I loved these books, and was always excited as a kid to get a new one!
                        As I've been sorting my stuff out recently, I still have a box of about twenty of them that I'll be getting rid of - I have the ebooks and will reread them again sometime...

Comment

Wish I'd read your post at the time deeks, as I'd have bought them off you!

Update, I've read all the Robert Arthur books, and loads more. I bought most of them as second hand paperbacks (many of them 3 in 1), but since found you can just google them (I prefer to hold a real book, but pdfs are free so...) Currently reading The Mystery of the Singing Serpent

Comment

Originally posted by Flash Gordon View Post
                            Wish I'd read your post at the time deeks, as I'd have bought them off you!
                            Actually, I still have them (just something I haven't got round to do), and if you'd like them, you're welcome to them... shoot me a PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X