101 bedtime stories book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 101 bedtime stories book

I had this book and loved it. It was quite a big book with a hard back blue cover and a cartoon picture of a living room with a parent reading stories to kids and the room was full of characters in the book all peaking over the settee etc to look in the book (memory of the cover is quite vague as it was so well loved that the cover fell off quite quickly.

It had 101 stories, some traditional and some new and I loved the illustrations. The last story was 'the crazy crazy washing machine' and had a picture of a washing machine with lots of mechanical hands washing dishes. Other favourites were 'lazy jack' dragging a ham lalong like a dog and the willow pattern story that had the willow pattern around the page. Can anyone else remember this book?
    1976 Vintage

Re: 101 bedtime stories book

I think I had this book too! i've been looking for it for a while

were the inner pages yellow? was there a story about a lonely ghost? not sure if we are talking about the same book

Comment

I'm not sure. I can't remember a story about a lonely ghost. All the pages had different illustrations on them, right to the edges of the pages and under the words.

I reckon it might be one of those books that had several versions over the years, with a few alterations each time. Other stories were The Princess and the Pea, Rumplestiltskin, Baba Yaga (most memorable for the picture of a house with chicken's legs!) and a poem about Winken, Blinken and Nod which had rainbow colours in the illustration. the three little pigs and three billy goat's gruff were also in there. There were so many others but I can't remember them!
      1976 Vintage

Comment

I can certainly remember my brother having a book simular to the one you described.It had a pale blue and white cover with all the characters behind a sofa listening to the storys being read out by the childs parants.Hard back book,quite thick and hefty for a toddler.Must of been sometime in the mid to late 70's.

Comment

I had a similar book for Christmas many years ago but it was 365 stories. One for each specific day of the year. Stories of differing lengths but no more than a page at most.

Comment

Originally posted by KidCurry View Post
            I had a similar book for Christmas many years ago but it was 365 stories. One for each specific day of the year. Stories of differing lengths but no more than a page at most.
            I'm sure I saw one of these books back in the 1990s.

I have seen religious books that have a short story or quotation for each day of the year.

Comment

I had a beloved book titled 101 Animal Stories (you can Google it, it's the one with a bunch of animals riding on top of a hippo). It was a gift from a favorite babysitter. I must have almost memorized all the stories and pictures in it, my favorite was one about a walrus.
              My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Originally posted by KidCurry View Post
                Was this The Golden Book of 365 Stories, by Kathryn Jackson?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Golden-Book.../dp/B000MYU0UE

It was published in 1955.

Comment

I can't say that it was for sure. Although I remember a blue cover, this one certainly doesn't look familiar. I did notice a lot of 365 story books on ebay after posting but they are mainly modern.

Comment

Working...
                  X