Just A Minute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just A Minute

Radio 4 panel game hosted by Nicholas Parsons. Of course, it's still going strong but worth mentioning as it began in the late '60s, so it spanned the entire DYR time period.

Created by Ian Messiter who used to sit next to Nicholas and keep the score and time, the 4 contestants each week would in turn have to try and speak on a subject given to them for 60 seconds without hesitation, repetition or deviation. They could be challenged on any of these by the other three contestants, who would gain a point and the subject if their challenge was upheld. The original speaker would gain a point and keep the subject if it wasn't.

The original regular players were Kenneth Williams, Peter Jones, Clement Freud and Derek Nimmo, with Paul Merton joining as a new regular in the late '80s after the death of Kenneth Williams. Other guest players through the '70s and '80s included Victoria Wood, Bob Monkhouse, Alfred Marks, Tim Rice, Sheila Hancock, Thora Hird, Lance Percival, to name only a few.

I first heard it by accident in 1987, which were some of the last shows to feature Kenneth Williams, and I was hooked. I've loved the show ever since. Fortunately for me, there are compilations which include shows from the '70s and '80s, and they're always hilarious.

Anyone else a fan?
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Re: Just A Minute

I'm a huge fan of the show. I really must get my hands on some of the old episodes. Could you recommend any particular compilations? I would love to hear Kenneth Williams again.

Comment

Hi Marine Boy,

I can recommend any of the 'Just A Classic Minute' compliations on BBC Audiobook CDs. There's probably loads of sites online who sell them, but large bookshops should have them as well. There are 7 volumes now with 4 episodes on each. Usually at least two or three of the shows on each volume feature Kenneth Williams.
      "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Thanks for the info. I buy most of my CDs online so I'll go and have a search.

Comment

Yes I remember the Derek Nimmo, Kenneth Willaims and Clement Freud era, (and all three had such distinctive voices, for radio!)

Has it got a litle slack these days (good though it still is)? That may just be Grumpy Old Man syndrome.
          Nostalgia's not what it used to be.
          "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

Ooh yes I used to listen to this in the Nimmo, Freud, Williams time, it was very funny.
            I must buy the compilations too, it would be great to hear them again.
            sigpic
            'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Working...
            X