School reading books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School reading books

A long shot but I'm trying to find the name of a series of books we used at school. The lowest stage had a few red books and the next stage up was green. I think they featured a girl and a boy as this type of book so often does and one of the red books was about a black couldron rolling down a hill??? Early 80's.
    1976 Vintage

Re: School reading books

http://cultreading70s.blogspot.com/

Don't know if that will help?
    "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Great site! I can't see the books I was asking about, but I remember the happy venture books on there. The picture of the children building sand castles took me right back.

I also remember us having books called 'reading to some purpose' which were hard back and very old and tatty so they must have been from the 60's or 70's. Infact they let us have them when the order of those brand new happy venture books came in.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Was it One, Two, Three and Away?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Two_Three_and_Away

Comment

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. The colours are right. I'd really need to see a cover I think.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Comment

They did look a bit like that. It could be them
              1976 Vintage

Comment

We had 'Hopscotch Readers' in Ireland. 'Trouble in the Mountains', 'The Secret Place', 'The Tara Brooch'. Then we had 'Links' and 'Lift Off' books for 5th and 6th class. Some great stories in those..one was 'The Return of the Iron Man', scary it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post

I also remember us having books called 'reading to some purpose' which were hard back and very old and tatty so they must have been from the 60's or 70's. Infact they let us have them when the order of those brand new happy venture books came in.
                  Found some visual evidence of the 'reading to some purpose' books I remember. This cover looks more modern though. Perhaps we had earlier editions as they had a very 1960s feel to them which was probably why they were being binned by the early 80's. That said, google searches only pull up books of this name published in 1982. Very confusing!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Trickyvee; 17-02-2013, 20:46.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

Weren't they simply called Rainbow books? I remember them.

Comment

The first book I can remember reading at school was called the Old Shoe house. I found it after 40 years the other day in a charity shop. I'm not emotional but things like that can bring a tear to your eye. Also grew up with ladybirds and puffins. They had a book club in my school. I remember getting 20 thousand leagues under the sea, treasure island and some of the other classics like the 39 steps. Roald Dahl had a big impact on me too.
                      Last edited by Shado66; 28-04-2013, 01:39.

Comment

I used to love the ladybird books,famous five,secret seven

Comment

I remember my first school reading book was a Janet and John, yellow cover with red picture and title. I felt so proud taking it home as you had to have got far enough with your reading to be given a book. After that there was a series of smaller blue books with a yellow pattern on.

Comment

My primary school had the Ginn series of books.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by havasack View Post
                              I remember my first school reading book was a Janet and John, yellow cover with red picture and title. I felt so proud taking it home as you had to have got far enough with your reading to be given a book. After that there was a series of smaller blue books with a yellow pattern on.
                              Thanks for reminding me about Janet and John read them too

Comment

Working...
                              X