Being in the papers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being in the papers

For my 13th birthday my mum put one of those birthday greetings in the evening chronicle with a baby photo on it. HOW EMBARRASSING!

I never reached the dizzy heights of the evening chronicle again, but I did get my photo in the weekly freebie when I won cinema tickets for full attendance at school...wearing my big LA gears with the tongues hanging out .

Anybody else get themselves in print?
    1976 Vintage

Re: Being in the papers

From the mid-'90s to the early 2000s, I raised money for the local Multiple Sclerosis Society (I knew of someone at the time who had it), by positioning myself in the stocks for 4-to-5 hours each year at a Donkey Derby/Fair and having wet sponges and custard pies hurled at me. In the 8 years I did it, I was photographed and featured in the local paper 4 times as part of a feature they ran every year on the whole event. I stopped doing it in the end because it was quite tiring, but I (and the helpers who picked up the sponges, took the money and made the pies) made a substantial amount for the charity during that time, and in a quirky sort of way it was fun.
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Band I was in had a feature in the local rag. I still have the cutting, but the interview & photo was done while I was on holiday, so I only got a mention

Comment

I was photographed for the local city paper during the 1980's, presenting a cheque (one of those large ones you see on Children in Need etc) to a charity on behalf of the organisation I then worked for. I remember thinking, hmmm I look okay in black and white...The photographer got us both to pose very unconvincingly with the giant cheque.
        "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

We were in our local paper when we became Australian Citizens a few years ago.
          Has to be the most unflattering photo of me in existence, if they'd only asked I could have provided one from my 20's for them...

Comment

Working...
          X