Arcades And Fun fair Rides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcades And Fun fair Rides

Can you remember old arcade games you used to play at your local arcade or fun fair. Not the computer games but genuine arcade games?

Re: Arcades And Fun fair Rides

Yes.But pictures are not that easy to get hold of.
    There are several I remember playing in the early 70's, that I have been searching for years to get a picture of.
    Here's a few I recall playing in those days before video games

not the actual one I remember, but near enough

There was also a Duck shot version of this

I loved these automated houses

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the piccys guys, brings back some good old memories.

Does anyone remember a motorbike rider game.
        It was a full size motorbike in a cage, which you sat on. The rollers turned the wheels and all you could do is turn the handlebars from left to right whilst following a moving light on a screen in front of you.

Comment

Yes, they had one in Hastings

Comment

I do love a bit of electromechanic arcade action and can distinctly remember some of the ones I encountered during holidays at camps in the early '70s. You can go here http://www.marvin3m.com/arcade/ for a lot of American ones but there do seem to be a fair few UK-centric games that are nigh-on impossible to source pics of. A couple I can remember playing back then

and another (UK) version

Flotilla

Staring into a darkened cabinet with black light graphics was the best!

Comment

Great pic Wil
              I remember a WW1 bi-plane one with the old style aircraft two handed machine gun (in reality just a metal model of one that did nothing).
              You had to shot down biplanes (plastic models on sticks). The mechanics was all inside the body of the machine, and the "screen" was just a mirror pointing down into the cabinet.
              I loved those old games

Comment

Another one I have mentioned before, and would love to see again, was a shooting game, which was a large machine with a step up platform, and two halves of a rifle sticking out.
                You put your money in, and looked down the scope and could see a small Red & Black paper target. You then shot at the target (the machine just punched tiny holes, it didn't fire anything), and the paper target would drop out of the bottom into a slot when finished.

Comment

PHWOOAARR!! Look at the plane on that machine!! Looks like the XB 70 Valkyrie (one of my favourite USAF experimental Planes!!!!) Doomed to be cancelled!!

Anyway, back to games!

Who remembers TAIL GUNNER ? I used to play this at TUCKTONIA (now sadly demolished, it was a mid 1970s amusement park) It was a game that you could sit inside, I loved it!

Comment

Ahhhh Tucktonia near Christchurch.
                    Do you remember the model village
                    They also used to have a formula 1 car in the main foyer with JPS down the side (John Player Special)
                    Also used to have the ride on motorcycle game where you got onto a lifesize bike which was driven by rollers, and followed the light on the screen.

I'm sure they used to have bumper boats there as well...

Also i am sure they used to have a huge model railway indoors which (when the lights went out) would light up with little working cable cars...

Comment

I used to like the one where you sat on a moving horse and had to shoot down the cowboys as they came past. Another was a computer one where you had to make a frog jump between lilly pads.

Many arcades also had rides for younger kids (like me). A popular one was a helicopter that moved up and down.
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

Thats just made me think of the games where you shot the targets and a life size model cowboy would come out from behind a stable or saloon door, or you'd shoot a target and beer bottles would spill over, the one we always aimed at was the barrel and water would spurt out at you
                        Heather

Comment

Been looking for a picture of the above with no joy, it was almost the size of a full room ,each target triggered off movement in the room Thinking about it I'm sure one cowboy might of been sat on the Loo
                          Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                            Been looking for a picture of the above with no joy, it was almost the size of a full room ,each target triggered off movement in the room Thinking about it I'm sure one cowboy might of been sat on the Loo
                            I've mentioned something like this on another thread. Our local funfair had one called hillbilly moonshine. There was lots of squirting water and, as you mentioned, a man sitting in one of those shed toilets with a moon shape cut out of the door. The door opened if you hit the target
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

Found your post Trickyvee, that sounds like the exact same one, I'd love to see it again
                              Heather

Comment

Working...
                              X