The Ford Cortina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ford Cortina

Is there anyone whose family or friends didn't at one time own a Cortina?

Before I came along, my dad had a Mk1 and then a Mk2. I remember my best mate's dad owning a Mk5 (not it's official title, that was 'Cortina 80') estate.

The roads of the DYR era were peppered with Cortinas. They played a huge part in the popular culture of the era as well, being featured as back-up cars in 'The Sweeney' (mainly Mk3s), and were often used in other cop shows of the '70s and '80s. They were raced and rallied (mainly the early Mk1s and 2s, although several drivers used two-door Mk3s in motorsport), and the police used them as well.

More recently a bronze Mk3 took a starring role in 'Life On Mars'......and don't forget Onslow's battered Mk4 in 'Keeping Up Appearances'.

Any memories?
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Re: The Ford Cortina

My best friend in 1979 passed her driving test and her dad bought her a Mk2 Cortina. Everyone assumed because she was a girlie she'd have a mini.
    "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

My dad had a few and I've had dozens,still got one now.

Regards,Frame.
      "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Yup,my dad had a few.He also had a ford console with a sunroof!It was bronze.Think he had an estate car too.

tulip

Comment

Yes in 1984 my hubby owned a red Mk3 GXL estate.
          sigpic
          'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Class! Frame's photo has reminded me that I saw an immaculate silver Mk2 Cortina (possibly a 1600E) driving round Windsor last Sunday.

Comment

My Dad had a green mk3 gxl with black vinyl roof then a red mark 4 with black vinyl roof. I didn't like the mk 4. It lacked the iconic character of the mark 3. Far too plain looking.
              "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Hi,

My dad never had a cortina :-( Am I the only one??? I always wanted him to get one but he ended up plucking for a vauxhall cavalier. Not quite the same!!!

Comment

My dad had a mk2 1600E, great car! I would love to have one now

Comment

Just found this...

...my dad bought it in 73 when it was a year old.
                    Frame.

Comment

^Nice one! Complete with whiplash aerial, you just had to have one back then!!!

Comment

That was a Realist magmount CB aerial,still have it somewhere. Not sure why it had three mirrors. My dad was a lorry driver so that maybe it.
                        Frame.

Comment

It also looks like the wing mirrors seem further up than they should be, but then everyone did that to make the car look more streamlined! Blimey, I'm turning into a right anorak....

Comment

I had two MkII Ford Cortina's as did my older brother but the then he went up market and had a 'Crayford Convertible' (soft top Cortina MkII) it was an absolute beaut. He sold it when he got married but missed it so much he tracked it down and bought it back. Then kids came along and he sold it again If only I'd had the money I'd have bought it off him but I was skint at the time.:cry:

Comment

I hope it was in better condition than the Crayford Mk2 sold by Del Boy in one of the first episodes of 'Only Fools And Horses' - "It's only had the one owner, a vicar, Oh....and look.....he's only gone and left his bible in the glove compartment!"

I actually really like the Mk4 Cortina. It was quite plain looking in it's day, but I think it's now acquired a retro-coolness.

Comment

Working...
                              X