Marvel comics!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel comics!!!!

Who really remembers these certain ITV commercials from the early - late 70s of releases of the british MIGHTY WORLD OF MARVEL / SPIDERMAN COMICS WEEKLY/ PLANET OF THE APES/ DRACULA LIVES/ THE SUPERHEROES/ SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN/ THE AVENGERS/HULK COMIC/ THE COMPLETE FANTASTIC FOUR comics? Some of them even carried some clips of their 1960s cartoon series!

Funny that. I don't actually remember any adverts but I was an avid UK Marvel collector from the early 70s. Started off with MWOM, graduated to Spider-Man Comics Weekly (and can distinctly remember running around with issue one's free mask (er, paper bag) on) and then jumped about to all of them - The Avengers, The Titans (when they went all funny and put them in a landscape format), The Superheroes (remember getting told off for staying out and hanging around the newsagents late on a Friday night when they got the next days stuff out to get #1!).

Getting those comics each Saturday morning and sitting outside in the garden, swapping and drawing our own versions are probably some of my most cherished kids memories.

Comment

I actually remembered starting out with MWOM #15 , back in Jan '73...then went on collecting also SPIDERMAN COMICS WEEKLY....Then PLANET OF THE APES came into my life ( along with the films, tv show & varoius memorabilia that stuck with me till the present!)

A while after, by the time i'd got into secondary, a bunch of us would either visit the local POPULAR BOOK CENTRE ( a store selling second hand, 5p comics amongst other mags & books)...or bring our bunch of comics with us to read at school...most of us were Spiderman & Fantastic 4 fans....i also rooted for Daredevil & the Hulk - we as pals would also get together to create & draw our own Superhero characters , Battling Marvel Super villians & had OUR own comics featuring them, published throught our school, using that carbon copy paper + messy ink to do the deeds for us!!!!

Comment

I was 8 in '73 when I got my first MWOM. I think I was a couple of weeks earlier than you as I started with #13. The only other Marvel comic I'd had up until then was a US Amazing Spider-Man my mum had brought back for me when I was ill off school one day. Up until then I'd been brought up on TV21, Countdown and Whizzer and Chips so it was quite a revolution

Comment

I was also 8 in mid'73 when MARVEL COMICS had taken over my life....in fact the first U.S. printed Marvel Comic i'd read was an issue of THE AVENGERS which my dad've bought me , Featuring the group in action with a separate story featuring Quicksilver!

That spiderman Mask from Ish 1 of SMCW... my little brother, then nearly 2 years, was scared to death by it whenever i'd worn it!!!!!! As i lived near shepherds Bush, London, at the time, on our way to the market on sat. mornings, This particular newsagent nearby was the first stop we'd make ( it's still there today!!!).... we'd entered the shop, amongst the comics / mags on that rack , i'd look for that very familiar MWOM logo - & My weekend began there!!!!!!

Comment

Dracula Lives rocked, check this out......Planet of the apes was kool too

Comment

I fondly remember the small ads in the Marvel comics for things such as X-Ray specs (see through clothes!), BB guns and Sea Monkeys.

Comment

Omg yes the Xray specs, sea Monkeys, had a friend who actually had some of those, looke dlike cute space aliens, but were tiny bugs.

Comment

Working...
                X