Derek Griffiths!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derek Griffiths!

From playschool to the boy from space theme, few have infiltrated the infant psyche quite like Derek Griffiths. I'm sure he did the voice overs for EVERYTHING at one point and who could forget his infamous songs, usually centred around ducks splashing on the water. He's still doing stuff in the theatre and on kids shows. Hats off to this stalwart of children's TV!

N.B. I remember at school circa 1983 we watched a show he was in that was on just before Picture Box. He was the only person in the show. What was this programme?
    1976 Vintage

Re: Derek Griffiths!

I think it was Film Fun. Do you mean where he played the manager of a cinema, the usherette, commissionaire etc? He did the voiceover for Bod too. I saw him at the RSC a few years ago*. The bloke is amazing.

*It was 1994, crikey I didn't realise it was that long ago! He was Feste in Twelfth Night.
    Last edited by Jacqueline; 21-09-2010, 16:33. Reason: To register astonishment
    "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I loved Derek Griffiths and he sure was in loads of programmes. I was surprised he wasn't included in the 'Playschool Reunion' show on Radio 4 at the weekend.

Originally posted by Jacqueline View Post
      He did the voiceover for Bod too...
      I think Derek did the music and it was John Le Mesurier that did the narration.

Comment

Derek did the theme to 'Heads & Tails' as well. He may have been in it, but I don't remember much about it except the theme tune. He was certainly in the movie version of 'Up Pompeii' playing the slave providing the steam in the steam room scene.
        "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Derek Griffiths was an excellent television entertainer.I always enjoyed watching and listenng to shows with him in them.I always wished he did a few of the Agatha Christie BBC Radio Plays.as he had a good voice,and to my mind would have suited those type of plays beautifully.

Comment

Derek was great i named my Cat after him, he was originally called Floella (the cat) then after 8 months i discoverd he was actually a boy so then kept with the playschool theme and renamed him Derek, you still hear his voice on adverts now.

Comment

Loved Derek Griffiths as a kid, Playschool being a favourite back then and I also remember seeing him in Film Fun, didn't he introduce old cartoons in it?

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                I loved Derek Griffiths and he sure was in loads of programmes. I was surprised he wasn't included in the 'Playschool Reunion' show on Radio 4 at the weekend.

I think Derek did the music and it was John Le Mesurier that did the narration.
                You're right. I'm wrong. :cry:
                "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I remember him mostly for playaway and Look and Read. Great guy

Oh and of course he was the voice of Super Ted!
                  Heather

Comment

I loved him too.Dog a long,dog a long,dog a long run!

tulip

Comment

There is no equivalent of Derek Griffiths now.

Rolf Harris is another living legend.
                      ....What Happened To You, Whatever Happened To Me, What Became of Those People, We Used To Be....

Comment

He was a great children's entertainer and so much a part of my 70s tv memories.
                        sigpic
                        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I put Floella Benjamin up there too.

Reading her wikipedia profile will knock your socks off and she's still running marathons at 61 (is she really 61!) for charity. An inspirational woman.

However, for me she'll always be on Playschool with the beads in her hair and wearing that heart necklace which I've noticed she still always wears to this day.
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                          X