Tommy Cooper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tommy Cooper

Who else saw Tommy Cooper on that weekend programme where he keeled over and died?
    We all thought it was part of his act at first.
    Van_Whistler (too young to understand - old enough to know better)

i remember watching that the first time around and i thought it was part of the act too then when i saw it on the news i thought oh my god ! i was young but still remember it
    boo boo de boop

Comment

Wikapedia entry:
      "On April 15, 1984, Tommy Cooper collapsed from a massive heart attack in front of millions of television viewers, midway through his act, on the popular ITV variety show, Live from Her Majesty's. Most of the audience thought it was part of his act and were laughing, until it became apparent that he was seriously ill. He was pronounced dead on arrival at nearby Charing Cross hospital."

I was 13 at the time.
      Van_Whistler (too young to understand - old enough to know better)

Comment

Dreadful, he was a good one - at what stage did the audience realise ? I'm glad I missed it.
        Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

I remember seeing him on that show on the night & i'd thought THAT was part of his act- & the following morning many of the newspapers had shown a still of him slumped on stage....very, very sad!!

Comment

yes I was 13 too and saw the show.Like evryone else I thought it was part of the act untill I saw the news later that evening.

Amazing how some things stick in your memory.

H

Comment

Re: Tommy Cooper

Someone just mentioned this in a book I'm reading and it reminded me of watching it. I remember seeing it happen but I was unconcerned and even when I found out he had died it was sort of 'oh well'. The whole shock of such a thing seemed to pass me by in an 'innocence of youth' sort of way but I'm quite surprised as I wasn't that young. I would have been 8.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

Re: Tommy Cooper

I was watching it and thought it was part of the act too, a fitting way for him to go though on the tv and live on stage.
                The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Working...
                X