The Chinese Takeaway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chinese Takeaway

Does anyone else remember in the 80s when the chinese takeaway always sold really really thick chips, i havent seen anywhere sell these in aaages
    They always had a bell on the door too which children used open the door make it ring then run away laughing while the man came out the back to find no one there, there was always a triangle made of cans of Pop on the back shelf that was always a target for Snowballs in the winter.
    If you were tall enough to be able to peep over the counter usually in the back room you would see a chinese lady who looked about 200 years old sitting on the floor with a ickle table eating rice.

Re: The Chinese Takeaway

I missed out on all of this as my family shied away from 'foreign' food and didn't get any takeaways except fish and chips. I had a friend who's family were a bit more daring and would get a Chinease sometimes as a treat, but only ever chicken chow mein!

I didn't discover the wonders of Chinese and Indian food until my teens and even then it took me until my late teens to like it. My dad eventually came around to liking curries but still hates Chinese food. Mam still hates both.
    Last edited by Trickyvee; 03-10-2010, 15:05.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember eating chicken and thick chips with peas in gravy from a Chinese takeaway back in the '80s. I recall it was absolutely delicious. I don't remember pyramids of cans in Chinese Takeaways, but I do remember them in chippys - mainly Cresta, usually Strawberry-flavoured.
      "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Thick chips! How did I forget that?

Comment

Where I lived there were 3 Chinese chip shops, 2 of which we would go to every now & again.

The one we went to most used to do a curry sauch that tasted just like hot Coronation chicken.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Near where I work there's a row of shops starting wtin an indipendent newsagents and ending with a tesco metro and had two chinese takeaways, one of which never seems to be open and one further down the road and then there's the two halal kebab shops with another shop between them but the Chinese takeaway which never seems to be open doesn'y do the staple item of chippies, HOLLANDS PIES!!!
            WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

I remember the Chinese thick chips. There was a place I went to occasionally in the eighties that did them. We also had another place; a fish and chip shop run by a Chinese family. They are still there to this day and they make the best chips I've ever tasted.

Comment

No.27 (Chicken Chop Suey) with chips please.

Comment

I remember shops like that. My Mum and Dad would only got to Chinese run chippies locally or Dad would go on Mums say so (lol) and get us all thick chips and fried chicken or cod....We used to like pouring a few smidges of Encona West Indian Hot Pepper sauce on the size of the paper and it was all utterly delish!!!

We also used to order takeaway from another oriental shop and the girl that worked in the shop would always bark out the order numbers when they were ready like this:

'CODE NUMBER 23, CODE NUMBER 44' etc, etc so Dad nicknamed her....'CODE NUMBER'!

Comment

Working...
                  X