Virgin Megastores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin Megastores

Remember back in the late 70s when the Virgin company was associated with music, and considered cool? Especially when they were the only music company who would accept the Sex Pistols.

And there were those huge Megastore record shops - my local one was in London's Oxford Street, and every time I went there, it had got bigger - taken over another neighbouring shop.

Was there a Virgin Megastore where you lived? Did you ever use it? The last time I was in there (the Bristol one, now called something else) was about ten years ago. I retreated when I realised I was the only person over thirty - and not dressed for the part either - browsing around.
    The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Re: Virgin Megastores

virgin megastores became zavvi who went bust and have since been bought out and the zavi brand relaunched.Online shops like amazon and the digital revolution downloading music files legally or illegally took over.Rendering many music stores redundant in the high street.I used to buy vinyl lp's from my nearest virgin megastore.But vinyl and tapes are getting less and less releases.
    sigpic

Comment

Yes, there used to be a Virgin in Cardiff, later became Zavvi and later became Head, the store sadly closed a couple of years ago.
      Only HMV left...
      Before Zavvi went into admin, they used to sell several vinyls from the 80s.

Comment

The Manchester VMS was very good in the mid 1990s, later on it moved into the extension of the Arndale Centre, became a Zavvi & was an HMV the last time I looked.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember someone made a song about the Manchester store: 'I'm in love with the girl at a certain Manchester Megastore checkout desk' - the brand name was omitted to allow it to be played by the BBC.
          The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

I think hmv took over our local one.Buying cds in a local store is not as popular these days.
            sigpic

Comment

I believe the Virgin Megastore in London actually had a "production line" in-store manufacturing compact discs

Comment

Who actually remembers the song "I'm in love with a girl on the check out of a certain Manchester Virgin MegaStore check out desk"?!

Class....
                Love is an invention by bank managers to keep you overdrawn - Rick Mayall/ The Young Ones

Comment

Working...
                X