The microwave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The microwave

Who remembers the arrival of the microwave? At the time it was meant to revolutionise cooking. We'd all be getting rid of our old ovens and cooking EVERYTHING in these wonderous new machines.

My aunt got a huge one in the early 80's. Big brown thing with an incorporated grill to make things go brown. We didn't get one until a few years later, by which time the world had realised that you couldn't actually cook an entire Sunday lunch or do the cake baking of your dreams by microwave.

Re-heated left overs anyone?...
    1976 Vintage

Re: The microwave

I had one in the 80s. It was quite expensive and very small. After one or two others I got a combined microwave and convection oven which I had for years and only chucked out last year. I saved the porcelain plate from inside though, I don't know why!

I was only thinking the other day when I cleaned the kitchen, my worktops are full of gadgets, foreman grill, toaster, slow cooker, kettle and at one time the cooker did everything!
    The people of Oman don't like the Flintstones but the people of Abu Dhabi do!

Comment

Originally posted by Megawitch View Post
      I had one in the 80s. It was quite expensive and very small. After one or two others I got a combined microwave and convection oven which I had for years and only chucked out last year. I saved the porcelain plate from inside though, I don't know why!

I was only thinking the other day when I cleaned the kitchen, my worktops are full of gadgets, foreman grill, toaster, slow cooker, kettle and at one time the cooker did everything!
      did early microwaves come with porcelain plates i can't remember that.
      although ones now have like glass type plates.
      i always keep them.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

My Mum got a Toshiba one in 1986, that worked for 21 years but started to act up at about the time we were having a kitchen re-fit & was going to be replaced.

It went into the garage & didn't work when given a try just before I moved out.

It was one of the first ones with a keypad rather than a clockwork timer & bell.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
          did early microwaves come with porcelain plates i can't remember that.
          although ones now have like glass type plates.
          i always keep them.
          I think it had a porcelain plate because it was a combination microwave. All my others have just had glass plates, like my current one.
          The people of Oman don't like the Flintstones but the people of Abu Dhabi do!

Comment

Originally posted by Megawitch View Post
            I think it had a porcelain plate because it was a combination microwave. All my others have just had glass plates, like my current one.
            it must have been the really early microwaves that had porcelain plates because i cannot remember them.
            although im sure we had one.
            i do remember the combo ones.
            what was the grilled food like as it was done in a microwave.

can you remember when you first had a microwave MW.

Comment

My current microway has a grill but I've hardly used it because when I've grilled bacon on it the dripping fat goes everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                My current microway has a grill but I've hardly used it because when I've grilled bacon on it the dripping fat goes everywhere.
                is there no plastic tray with it to catch the fat in rich.
                ive never had a combo one before.
                glass or porcelain plate rich.

Comment

It didn't come with a plastic tray, just a wire grill rack.

I did try placing a pyrex plate under but even that wasn't 100% perfect.

Comment

My Father worked for Thorn EMI Domestic Appliances in the quality assurance offices and we used to have appliances at home 'on test'. We had a microwave from the factory called a 'Multi-wave'. It was brilliant for the time (1986). It was a normal microwave with halogen lamps inside for the browning and 'oven' facility. We had one on test because lots of them were setting on fire apparently. Ours never did! They discontinued them after 6 months and we were allowed to keep our test one. It lasted 14 years!!
                    Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
                      It was a normal microwave with halogen lamps inside for the browning and 'oven' facility. We had one on test because lots of them were setting on fire apparently. Ours never did! They discontinued them after 6 months and we were allowed to keep our test one. It lasted 14 years!!
                      Some microwaves set theirselves on fire apparently? Did they find out the reason why? So you needed to have a fire destinguisher next to the microwave, didn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
                        My Father worked for Thorn EMI Domestic Appliances in the quality assurance offices and we used to have appliances at home 'on test'. We had a microwave from the factory called a 'Multi-wave'. It was brilliant for the time (1986). It was a normal microwave with halogen lamps inside for the browning and 'oven' facility. We had one on test because lots of them were setting on fire apparently. Ours never did! They discontinued them after 6 months and we were allowed to keep our test one. It lasted 14 years!!
                        wonder why your test one lasted so long and other peoples did not.
                        i guess you where more careful.

Comment

I think i remember my Dad saying it was something to do with the halogen lamp function. My Dad was quality assurance manager for Thorn EMI so if any new appliances needed testing in a home enviroment we usually got one!
                          Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

I remember a shop in Leeds in the late 60's called the Magic Box which was basically a whole raft of vending machines and a microwave oven (magic box). Not bad if you like to eat your cheeseburger with a spoon ...

Comment

We never had a MW when they first came out, but did get one when we got a fitted kitchen in 1988. I was a massive brown one with a keypad and digital display. It lasted around 14 years, as my Dad gave it to me when I moved out but I had no room for it, so gave it to my bf's Mum who used it for a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X