Cocktail bars in the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cocktail bars in the house

I have no idea if these were ancient overspill from the 60s, but I can remember a couple of my mam's friends having drinks bars. One had hers in an alcove next to the fire place in the living room. It was white with studs and had a couple of glass shelves on top for bottles and glasses. The other had hers in the hallway and it was made of wicker. I thought they were the coolest thing ever when I was 8.
    1976 Vintage

Re: Cocktail bars in the house

I've not known anyone with one, but my parents remember someone's house having one when they were househunting in the 1970s.

I always liked Del's in Only Fools & Horses, & The Young Ones had a fairly worn out example just used as shelving.

My Aunt & Uncle had some shelving units with a fold down cocktail cabinet, which I used to think was fun.

Eventually my parents got a similar unit, but only kept the glasses in the main compartment, thier bottles of booze went in the lower cupboard for some reason.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My Cousin had one in his house, we used to go to a big family party on christmas eve (before our family fell apart ) in the early seventies.

It was olive green plastic faced, with a black padded frontage, with a pole at the end that reached to the ceiling. Without fail, every year, his wife would wind a piece of tinsel round it. They had wicker work long legged stools with the tops of the stools resembling lobster pots.

It looked like something from Crossroads Motel!

It was vulgar much like my Cousin!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
        I always liked Del's in Only Fools & Horses
        That's what I thought of immediately when I saw this thread. I particularly liked the 'COCKTAILS' light he switched on (at least, I think that was what it read, without checking the DVD) in the 'Tomorrow Never Comes' episode.

I don't know of anyone who had a cocktail bar either, but I do know someone whose father has a whole shed decked out inside like a pub. It's the most amazing shed I've ever seen.
        "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Blimey I can't even remember Del Boy's and I've watched it enough over the years! I was always a fan of his standard lamp with the big flowers on it.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Yes, my dad had one in a house we lived in during the 70's......I though we were well sophisticated!

Comment

Did Jack & Vera Duckworth (Coronation Street) have one? I once wanted to buy a ball shape globe when opened had drinks and glasses inside, but I do have a Russian wooden doll that hides vodka.

Comment

Tbh I would like to be able to convert a room in the house into a bar and decorate it like a proper pub, bar stools, jukebox and a barbilliard table

Comment

Originally posted by themilkman View Post
                  Yes, my dad had one in a house we lived in during the 70's......I though we were well sophisticated!
                  I would love to have my very own cocktail bar/disco (never liked the word nightclub) would call it Days of disco, in a basement room with that silver disco ball, big screens that popped out, dance floor would have a hidden swimming pool underneath and a good time had by all

Comment

Originally posted by Beach Life View Post
                    I would love to have my very own cocktail bar/disco (never liked the word nightclub) would call it Days of disco, in a basement room with that silver disco ball, big screens that popped out, dance floor would have a hidden swimming pool underneath and a good time had by all
                    Sounds like studio 54 beachy!

Comment

Working...
                    X