Formica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formica

I bet you had a Formica-topped table at some point in your 70/80s kitchen. Most probably pale blue.

The Formica factory was at the top of our estate. Once upon a time, when 'elf and safety hadn't been invented, we used to get a lot of funny smells on the air. Chlorine, plastic, and a couple of times a really disgusting fishy smell that was so strong I wanted to be sick! I presume they must have been having a 'gluey' day and using some sort of fish-based adhesive. That's my memories of Formica...oh and we did have a Formica wood-effect kitchen table.
    1976 Vintage

Re: Formica

Faux woodgrain was another common formica style, my grandad had a coffee table clad in it.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I look back on our formica kitchen table and work tops of the 70s with great affection. But when I've mentioned this to my mother, she say's formica was horrible. It's an age thing I suppose.

Comment

We had formica kitchen benches and cupboard doors! I really like formica. There's something about it that makes me smile inside! My Mum hates it too Marine. She says it looked cheap and tacky.
        Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

My mum still has a formica topped kitchen table.
          "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I think Formica is great. Still have formica kitchen tops in my 1970's-era kitchen, and have always found it a very good workbench surface for light work as well.

Comment

We had a lot or formica around when I was a kid.If I remember right we had a blue formica table with metal legs,and a formica coffe table in black and white granite finish with black screw in legs which was very 60's.I quite like the stuff probably as a result of growing up with it.Most households had something in formica.Very modern....well it was when I was a kid,lol.

Comment

my gran had one of the earliest formica kitchen tables with wood legs.........it was a greenish blueish colour.............it matched her tall kitchen cupboard that had a formica top for working on dated from the 1950s............today it would be so retro and probably worth a small fortune

Comment

Working...
                X