Beaded curtains/ fly curtains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaded curtains/ fly curtains

My gran had a fly curtain made of multi-coloured PVC strips on the back door. We just called them 'flaps'. They were popular, as all of the neighbouring houses down the street had flaps too. I used to love twisting myself up in them or bursting through them into the yard. Anybody else remember them?

Click image for larger version

Name:	!BUL)jpwBmk~$(KGrHgoH-EUEjlLl0EpmBKMQ,0fSyg~~_35.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	264168
    1976 Vintage

Re: Beaded curtains/ fly curtains

I mostly remember them on small shop doors rather than homes, the Butchers springs to mind.
    Heather

Comment

My neighbours had one for years just inside their back door.

Old-school Indian restaurants often have dark wooden beaded curtains over all the internal doorways.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I only really remember them on internal shop doors too. Usually small grocery shops. Those, and the triangular metal 'R Whites' litter bins.
        "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I remember they used to have those beaded curtains in hair salons and boutiques.
          "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I remember my dad putting up one on our back kitchen door and I sat on the floor plaiting the plastic strands, much to the annoyance of my mum!.

Comment

I think in the end I got my gran's curtain after it had lost a few strips and put it over my bedroom door.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

We had the multicoloured 'strips' on the back door during the summer months and yep, I'd also twist myself up in them etc. Of course when I grew up (heh, yeah) my wife and I thought they looked a bit naff until this summer when we couldn't have the back door open for five minutes before some fat lazy bluebottle wandered in. Next year I'm having the multicoloured strips back!

Comment

Yes I will be on the look out for one as many times the bees and wasps come in, so it would be useful, maybe they now sell them in neutral colours!.

Comment

I have always used decorative bamboo ones. Functional and pretty
                    sigpic
                    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Working...
                    X