The library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The library

I've recently rediscovered the library. Where has it been all my life? Why have I spent a fortune on books over the years? I have to say I am most impressed with its modern overhaul. Coffee, free internet, soft lighting, searchable databases and your own account so you can keep tabs on your loans. Marvellous!

Not like the old days. My memory is of dusty old places that were only open about one day a week and kept the same old books for years. Remember the little orange tickets you had to take and they'd put them in the front cover of a book when you got it out?

I didn't really take to books as a child but I was taken to the library quite often in an effort to raise my interest. I loved the 'What-A-Mess' books by Frank Muir.
    1976 Vintage

Re: The library

SSSHHHHH!!!! No seriously, I really loved my visits to the Library! The childrens library had a small square cube table divided into four sections with all the latest boks in and multicoloured formica topped seats, magical! And we had little green lending cards.

It was 1970, and our Library even had a picture lending service! we used to struggle home with a different picture for the back room every month. I remember these pictures vividly.

A book that I borrowed also impressed me too, it was In the Night Kitchen by someone called Sendak? a strange surreal story about a little boy that gets mixed into a cake! Considered controversial now, it didnt bother me I was only 6 or 7!

Comment

The library was good for getting your hands on obscure books. I once came back with a book of 'true' ghost stories, only for my dad to take it off me because it had a story about a ghost dog in our town. He was worried I'd have nightmares about it coming to get me. I was gutted!
      1976 Vintage

Comment

In the 70s, Dad took my brother and I to the library a few times, but for some reason, we never really got into it. I don't know why, and feel a bit guilty. I am such a huge fan of libraries these days and am depressed they seem to be so devalued.

Comment

MB, perhaps you had good reason not to be fascinated by the local Library, an active social life, or busy family interests?

I do not have any children of my own, but as I have been told from my friends and family who do have children, they are very much into (and understandibly so) computers, and everything pc based, this is the future?

Where will Libraries end up?

Comment

I also recently rejoined my local library in July this year. It was in the early 90s that I last had a library card. I was like a child in a 70s sweet shop. I found so many nostalgic memories tucked up in there.

Libraries just Have to remain Flying Saucer, Books last for centuries in the right hands, data is more of a problem because the platforms change and hardware,software etc. books are physical, tactile and damned nice.

Comment

I was introduced at a young age to the library,my gran used it all the time.I lost interest for a while,but Im back in there.Trouble is,ours is **** and you have to wait ages to get your hands on new books.Only good thing is you can update your own books online.

tulip

Comment

My local library is normally good for books, though they seem to move books a lot around branches, so it's sometimes hard to track a favourite one down.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

i still use the library although it moved to a different part of my town.

much bigger and 2 floors.

sadly i dont read books as my eyesight is bad but when i was a kid i got books out regular books like the B F G big friendly giant.
                  i often brought them back late as either i forgot and didnt mind paying the fine the fine was the same price as keeping it another day so why not.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Its about keeping our libraries open because if we dont use them then you know what will happen they will close like post offices.I love libraries and I will continue to borrow books.Now I have a plastic card as my membership which is a lot easier for myself and the librarian.

Long live libraries

Comment

spot on so many libraries have closed over here are have been threatened with it same as indeed is the the post office.

thankfully lots of books are taken out at my library always busy..

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                      Its about keeping our libraries open because if we dont use them then you know what will happen they will close like post offices.I love libraries and I will continue to borrow books.Now I have a plastic card as my membership which is a lot easier for myself and the librarian.

Long live libraries
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

i took my children to the library as books were expensive and they loved it................i have been using the library myself regularly for the last year......i love being able to renew books online

times have moved on and libraries are seriously under threat so we need to use them or possibly lose them........

Comment

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
                          i took my children to the library as books were expensive and they loved it................i have been using the library myself regularly for the last year......i love being able to renew books online

times have moved on and libraries are seriously under threat so we need to use them or possibly lose them........
                          I totally agree it would be a shame to see libraries closing through lack of use,where I come from they put on more things like courses on computers,talks,etc

as I said LONG LIVE LIBRARIES

Comment

Yep, agree completely. There is a "watching eye" on our local libraries and if we don't use them regularly then these locally accessible sites will be rolled into "super" libraries that we'll need to travel longer distances to and from. What the bean-counters don't want to understand is that local libraries are used for more than just borrowing books. Our library runs numerous day-time and evening events for young and old alike, has an excellent film rental service (and we lost Blockbuster so the library will benefit with rental starting at just £1.20), offers photocopying service, computer access, and is an important meeting point for the elderly.

I've taken my 3 kids since they were 2 years old, and we take out the maximum 15 books every 3 weeks. In school holidays we go in and join the treasure hunt and the reading scheme that runs over the longer summer break. My daughter (early teens) reserves books herself and just treats the local library as a place that has to exist because it's always been part of her life. I've been to a 'super' library once and although the selection was larger (it would be as it replaced several smaller libraries), I didn't warm to the place and haven't returned since.

Please, please, please. Support your library now and for the future!

Soap box has been popped away now ... Merry Christmas and happy new year to all

Comment

Some smaller libraries in my area have closed in the last couple of years including the tiny branch library that I used to go to as a child. I could see how it wouldn't be cost-effective to keep it open but I was very sad when it closed, especially as it had been there for at least 40 years.

On the up side a lot of money has been spent on improving the central libraries in town centres. Three multi-purpose buildings have been built in each town to house the library and council services. They're called something lame like 'customer service centres' but they are decent inside - bright, modern, rooms for hire, coffee bar, good computers. There's even a new fangled machine for taking out and bringing back your own books...I fear the satisfying thump of the librarian's stamp could soon be a thing of the past!
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                              X