Fairground Rides.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairground Rides.

As a child, what was your favourite or your most feared.?
    I was terrified of the ghost train, loved the waltzers, and loved The Big Dipper in Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

Re: Fairground Rides.

Loved Dive Bomber and (dont know the name of this one ) a spinning drum on a central pivot that rose verticaly? Was it Gravity Wheel?

Comment

Was that the ride, where the floor disappears? and you are spun around so fast, that gravity keeps you up against the wall? I remember that, but never went on it. Not sure if its the Gravity Wheel .

Comment

My faves were :-

The Big Dipper, Ghost Train, Mouse Trap, Log Flume and Grand National at Blackpool.
        The Waltzers, Ben Hur, Cyclone Twist and Roller Coaster.
        sigpic
        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by FLYING SAUCER View Post
          Loved Dive Bomber and (dont know the name of this one ) a spinning drum on a central pivot that rose verticaly? Was it Gravity Wheel?
          I think that might have been known as 'The Meteor'!
          Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

We had the same fair come to the car park just around the corner of my house for YEARS - they always had the same "big 4" - Dodgems, Waltzer, Twister and Sky Rider. I was a wuss as a kid when it came to rides (now I'm a thrillrideaholic). Used to go on the dodgems only - then when I was about 7 or 8 I went on the Waltzer with my sister and was petrifed. The thought of going on Sky Rider was just unthinkable....think I finally did about the age of 18!!

Comment

Our town Gala had a funfair. It lasted for 2 weeks in the early to mid 80's. It lasts about 2 days now! When I was a kid it was a major event. We used to go down to the park and watch them build the rides so we could see what was there! There was usually 2 Waltzers, a Rodeo, a Twist, an Octopus and the Big Wheel as the 'Big Thrill' rides along with all the usual kids rides like the ghost train etc. Me and my mates thought it was great!
              Then when I was in my early teens I discovered 'The Hoppings' on the Town Moor in Newcastle. A brilliant funfair!
              Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

I was a wuss!I liked the horses and swings,but my fave was the Star wars flying saucer thing.

tulip

Comment

I never went beyond the horses and the swings either. Hated all the big fast rides, still do. As a teenager I ended up being the square carrying everybody's bags! Liked the dodgems though.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Krazy View Post
                    Was that the ride, where the floor disappears? and you are spun around so fast, that gravity keeps you up against the wall? I remember that, but never went on it. Not sure if its the Gravity Wheel .
                    I went on one of those once, made me feel a bit sick!

I always used to love going on the dodgems, or 'bumper cars' as I used to call them.

I was intrigued last week during the heavy snow to hear on the news that the rail networks were thinking of clearing the tracks by running 'Ghost Trains' during the night - I imagined the drivers confronting some badly made plastic ghosts and vampires lunging out of the darkness making cr*p howling noises, and stringy bits which were supposed to be cobwebs brushing the top of the trains.
                    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Loved all the rides at Blackpool specially the funhouse which isnt there anymore
                      The Damned

Comment

The ride which spins so you get stuck to the wall whilst the floor drops away was called "The Rotor" in these parts. I always loved "The Magic Box" where you climbed into the box, sat on a swinging bench and they span the box around you so you thought you were being turned upside down. It was so convincing some people were physically sick!
                        I also loved "The Sphynx" which was a walk-in ghost house and "The Tub Ride" which was wooden tubs floating on water past different scenes at Dreamland, Margate.

Comment

It was 'The Rotor' up here too - never tried it myself.

Was never one for fairground rides until my early teens, did get braver, then turned into a wuss again in my late teens. Although I did like the ghost train, I preferred having a donkey ride, the roundabout, hook-a-duck and loved the E.T spaceship (I think it was E.T).

Comment

its funny getting braver then getting less brave.

only rides i remember are the ghost train big dipper big wheel.
                            was gonna do a link for u sandie but it would scare you.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Loved the Waltzers as a kid/youth ..... 25 years later, I went on them with my daughter and felt queasy for the next couple of hours (never again)

Comment

Working...
                              X