• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• world cup final 1966

Does any one remember this one.
    It was on only the once, live i believe
    It seems a long time ago .
    Apparently it features a footballing side called England who could score goals using (strikers) who didnt get sent off , a revolution at the time. and who didnt lose in penalty shootouts and also had players who didnt get paid so much and hyped about.
    will we ever see such a specticle again?

You're being harsh there Carroll but, sadly, it's looking like 40 more years. Commiserations all England fans !
    Penalties did for ye again, no matter how much you practise on something ( as Sven claimed England did ) you're never really prepared for the real thing & on Sat. last it was as much in the head as it was ( or wasn't ) in the feet. It's something Steve McLaren will have to look at because the quality is certainly within the squad.
    Any chance of a goal for either team went with Rooney's dismissal, a silly thing to do given England's shortage of strikers.
    Don't mind who wins it now once it's not Portugal.
    Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

No such thing as penalty shootouts in those days, used to have replays until somebody won properly. I remember the 66 final very well because my sister got married that day and we had the reception at home (as was quite common at the time) I was only 8 and didn't really know much about football but my Dad told me to switch the telly on and of course everyone watched the match. After we won and I discovered that all the goals were scored by West Ham players and the captain was a Hammer plus they had won the FA Cup and Cup Winners Cup in sucessive seasons I decided that this was obviously THE team to follow. If only I'd known then...... Too late now, dedicated West Ham nut for 40 years and I still love 'em

Comment

Im a west ham nut too, remember as a young lad being a cotee and macavennie fan.
        I know we lost on penaties in cup final, but we sure turned up.
        Originally posted by wingman
        No such thing as penalty shootouts in those days, used to have replays until somebody won properly. I remember the 66 final very well because my sister got married that day and we had the reception at home (as was quite common at the time) I was only 8 and didn't really know much about football but my Dad told me to switch the telly on and of course everyone watched the match. After we won and I discovered that all the goals were scored by West Ham players and the captain was a Hammer plus they had won the FA Cup and Cup Winners Cup in sucessive seasons I decided that this was obviously THE team to follow. If only I'd known then...... Too late now, dedicated West Ham nut for 40 years and I still love 'em

Comment

Originally posted by CARROLLKRC
          Im a west ham nut too
          Nice to know I'm not on my own The Cup Final was a brilliant game, if only Steven Gerrard had played as well for England it could have been so different. As you say at least we made a game of it and lost to a good footballing side (still don't like penalties though!)

Comment

Gerrard's equaliser came from a sloppy clearance from a WH player, could have been avoided. L'pool's name was on it all along.
            Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

Working...
            X