Gilbert O'Sullivan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilbert O'Sullivan

One of the singers I admired very much in the 70s.

He recorded some fabulous songs like :-

Alone Again (Naturally) - One of my all time fave songs.
    Nothing Rhymed
    We Will
    Matrimony
    No Matter How I Try

Sadly, he also made the dire - Get Down

sigpic
    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Re: Gilbert O'Sullivan

He was bit too cheesy for me. He also recorded the dreadful song , Clair, another very syruppy song. Plenty of other good singer/songwriters from the early 70's which was probably the peak of singer/songwriters

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post

Alone Again (Naturally) - One of my all time fave songs.
      Nothing Rhymed
      We Will
      Matrimony
      No Matter How I Try...
      I quite liked Gilbert. My mum was a big fan so his music was played around the house a lot. 'Alone Again' is a good song but 'Nothing Rhymed' was always my favourite. There was also one I liked with the lyrics, "...take off your shoes, all of you...". But I have no idea which song it's from. It was definitely an early one when Gilbert still wore the flat cap.

Comment

I remember something in the late 1980s/early 1990s about how one of his tracks was a dance hit, but it was released under the name GOS to disguise who it was because DJs wouldn't play it if it had his real name on it. I think it must have been "So What".

My Mum used to have Gilbert and Sullivan records and I used to get confused between the two, his name is a deliberate play on that.

Comment

I'm too young to remember Gilbert but that matrimoneeeeeeee song makes me cringe and he's a really weird looking bloke. Thumbs down from me.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
            There was also one I liked with the lyrics, "...take off your shoes, all of you...". But I have no idea which song it's from. It was definitely an early one when Gilbert still wore the flat cap.
            That would be We Will , MB.

I must admit Clair wasn't a fave of mine, smc.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
              That would be We Will , MB...
              Thanks for that Kaz!

Comment

Gilbert Was a Top singer songwriter and very much underrated like Clifford T Ward. 'We Will' is my favorite song from childhood. I saw him a 6 or 7 years ago at Leeds City Varieties(where they used to film 'The Good Old Days'). He is still going and still brilliant and still underrated.

Comment

I would love to see him live!
                  I think what I liked about him most was that he was so different to everything else in the early 70s. There was a lot of glam rock and disco songs and his songs actually told a story.
                  sigpic

Comment

I agree Kazboot, He is a great story teller and he plays with words in such a fun way and often emotionally .

Comment

I'm not a massive fan but I like what I've heard from him. Get Down is one of the better ones.

I remember seeing it on Sounds Of the 70s & TOTP2.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        ...Get Down is one of the better ones....
                        It's a really catchy tune but in the lyrics, Gilbert is comparing a girl to a dog. I've never been able to hear the song in the same way since I read about that!

Comment

So that would be the infamous Pans People sequence on Top of the Pops with the dogs then...

Comment

I remember Jo Brand CSOing herself into that performance in Through The Cake Hole. Sugar Baby Love had similar treatment.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My favourite Gilbert songs are 'Christmas Song' and 'I'll Believe It When I See It'. What I like about Gilbert (apart from his music) is that he was always a highly decent fellow who never brought any shame or disgrace to himself and conducted himself impeccably, in short a nice guy.
                              The best Government is that which governs least - Thoreau.

Comment

Working...
                              X