Need help remembering ... supernatural/horror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help remembering ... supernatural/horror

Got fragments of some old TV shows floating around in my head. I think they may all be from different episodes of the same show ... though equally, they might not be !?

Think early - mid 70s. Think - supernatural/horror.

First off, and the most vivid is the image of a Victorian doll - y'know with the porcelain face - only this one is alive and carrying a knife. I picture it in the doorway to room, and it's about to kill somebody. I blame this memory for my deep fear of all things doll-ish.

Secondly, and less coherent - a male opera singer is murdered. Or maybe not. Is the killer being haunted by the singer's ghost, or is somebody just trying to send them crazy by making them think said singer has returned from beyond the grave. Something to do with a sack of potatoes falling out of a cupboard, and a record player playing one of the singer's LPs.

Things get really hazy now - I have a very vague memory of a hedge maze, and something buried at the very centre ... a plinthe ( ?? ), and buried underneath it ... a skull ?? Anyway, people are trying to reach the centre of the maze ... and that's it.

Finally, and most fragmented - a house in the middle of a forest. A room full of monitors that show various parts of the forest, and somebody throwing something into a lake .. or maybe a pool.

My feeling is that this show was shown on a Saturday night, and I'd be around 6 - 10 years old, so I'd think sometime between 1974 - 1978 ... ish.

Like I say, I think these are all different episodes of the same show - if somebody remembers one, there's a fair chance they will all fall into place.

Many thanks,

Mark.

Easy.......Crimewatch

Comment

Tales of the Unexpected?

Comment

Armchair Thriller?
        sigpic
        Mrs Oggy
        ~~~*~~~*~~~
        Count your friends amongst the stars....
        And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

Twilight Zone?

Comment

Hi there..

This sounds like some of the Storries on the many 'Amicus productions' film staring people like Karen Black.. they were usually 3 tales which were loosely connected but all had a 'spooky twist' to them..e.g. Vault of Terror, from beyond the Grave and there was one with a really eveil doll that came to live and had a knife? think she shut it in an oven to stop it lstabbing folk!! terrified me as well...'Tales that witness madness' from about 1973 was its name, definately starring the lovely Karen Black...

hope this helps..

Rab ;0)

Comment

Originally posted by fatz
              Finally, and most fragmented - a house in the middle of a forest. A room full of monitors that show various parts of the forest, and somebody throwing something into a lake .. or maybe a pool.
              This sounds a bit like "The Beast Must Die"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bea...Die_%28film%29

Comment

Re: Need help remembering ...

Originally posted by OrangeCremolaFoam View Post
                Hi there..

This sounds like some of the Storries on the many 'Amicus productions' film staring people like Karen Black.. they were usually 3 tales which were loosely connected but all had a 'spooky twist' to them..e.g. Vault of Terror, from beyond the Grave and there was one with a really eveil doll that came to live and had a knife? think she shut it in an oven to stop it lstabbing folk!! terrified me as well...'Tales that witness madness' from about 1973 was its name, definately starring the lovely Karen Black...

hope this helps..

Rab ;0)
                I've been looking for that for years! Just had a look on YouTube and it's on there as Trilogy of Terror YouTube - Trilogy of Terror(1975) Part 1

Comment

Re: Need help remembering ...

how weird! Was only thinking about that doll one yesterday! African doll? If its necklace came off it 'came alive'.....remember it hunting the guy round his apartment.....I remember discussing it at school afterwards!!

sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Re: Need help remembering ... supernatural/horror

Could the Victorian doll with the knife be Mr Sin, the Oriental ventriloquist's dummy from the Doctor Who story "The Talons of Weng Chiang"? There's definitely a very nasty point in the story where it walks jerkily into a room holding a massive knife, trying to kill Leela.

The hedge maze with the plinth sounds like the short adaptation of the M.R. James story "Mr Humphreys and his Inheritance" which was shown as part of the schools series "Music Scene" in 1976. This is available on the Network DVD "Casting the Runes".

Comment

Working...
                    X