Nottingham Evening Post in the 1980s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nottingham Evening Post in the 1980s

I frequentlly look at the old editions of the Nottingham Evening Post on the British Newspaper Archive and it really brings back the memories of my parents getting the nightly paper fom the local paper shop - my late father always used to don is reading glasses and be the first to read the paper at home.

By 1984 the Monday to Friday editions were broadsheet right up until 1996 whilst the Saturday edition was tabloid (with a small letter T rather than the red-top variety). Barrie Williams was the editior at the time. An average weekday edition would consist of the following:

FRONT PAGE: Local news; "NEWSLINE" on the left - Issue number 33,000 and something, circa 1986. Price 19p - Regular home delivered copies 16p.

PAGE TWO: 24 Hour TV Guide (more like 29 hour as it became 12.00 pm "today" to 5.00 pm "tommorrow").

PAGE THREE: More news; "Post Foreign Desk - edited by Doug Morris"; Herman comic strip caption.

PAGE FOUR: It's Your Opinion (pensioners from Rushcliffe council areas sounding off about minior things by letter); Russell Grant's horoscopes just like he did for every other newspaper, TV and radio station back in the 1980s; columnist such as Emrys Bryson or Ian Manning writing under the title of which day of the week it was.

PAGE FIVE: More local news; Wordles, later Dingbats.

PAGE SIX: A column called "Page Six"; On This Day; Remember When (looking at an old edition of the paper on the same day of the year from a previous year); daily column such as Agony Aunt in Residence Barbara Boston on Mondays; Barbara Woodhouse-alike pets column with Sheila Hocken on Tuesdays; and the "sub-Glenda Slagg in Private Eye" Caroline Stringer on Thursdays. And of course Garfield cartoon strip as well.

PAGE SEVEN: Yet more local news; Kidstuff by Roger cartoon (think of the Small Talk cartoon in the News of the World's Sunday magazine at around the same time).

OTHER PAGES: More news; classifieds etc, on subsequent pages

BACK PAGE: Sport with Granage Hill credits font at the top until around 1986. Brian Clough etc...

Anyone else get nostalgic at their own local newspaper's layout growing up in the 1980s? I certainly did, especially when they did articles about Goose Fair at the start of October.

I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!
Working...
X