X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• staffslad
    replied
    Re: "Commando" format spin-offs

A couple of series I remember from the mid-70s are Pocket Chiller Library and Pocket Thriller Library. PCL was devoted to mainly horror and lasted for quite a few issues, I believe. There may also have been a western-themed one.

Leave a comment:

• Derekflint
    replied

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
    Searching again for Havoc, Comic Book Postal Auctions Home Page have an auction coming up that includes all forty issues in three binders, estimate is ?60-80 but it is an auction.

Tempted to see what's what, but figured I would post in case there are any other interested parties here. It would be a shame to let a scalper get it to lock away in a bag.
    UPDATE:
    Must have somehow got onto an archived catalog page - the item fetched 174 at auction. Ouch.

Still, it shows demand I guess, so hopefully there'll be a collection published at some point.

Leave a comment:

• Derekflint
    replied

Searching again for Havoc, Comic Book Postal Auctions Home Page have an auction coming up that includes all forty issues in three binders, estimate is 60-80 but it is an auction.

Tempted to see what's what, but figured I would post in case there are any other interested parties here. It would be a shame to let a scalper get it to lock away in a bag.

Leave a comment:

• Derekflint
    replied

Again, thank you.

The first issue I checked out was 50th Kill, with the cover featuring a plane and a man firing into the air - instantly put one of the stories that I had read into my mind, where Havoc runs into an old friend and ends up in all kinds of trouble. And they have Hunt the Devil. Will have to relieve them of that at the very least!

I notice they have Marvel Digests as well - anyone else remember these?

Leave a comment:

• rossobantam
    replied

great stuff!

If you're interested, this site has quite a few up for sale:

(scroll down a fair way)

Online_Catalogue_Picture_Libraries_20.html

Leave a comment:

• Derekflint
    replied

Thank you so much! I didn't have issues of Top Secret bar the two specials. But it was John Havoc - a doublecheck on Google brought up a blog that had Hunt the Devil pages; the story of a lethal virus hidden in glass ornaments of a devil.
    Thanks again.

John Havoc for Prime Minister!

Leave a comment:

• rossobantam
    replied

"Top Secret Library ran from July 1974 - February 1976 with 2 issues per month and a total of 40 issues."

Does that time-scale fit?

Leave a comment:

• rossobantam
    replied

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
    I had a few Commando titles, maybe even a Starblazer or two.
    But the ones I can't find anything on were a couple of secret agent ones that had three or four stories each, it was either Secret Agent or Top Secret - the hero was a former test pilot that had been set up to take a fall for the destruction of a supersonic airliner.
    hmmm..any use? Does 'John Havoc' ring any bells?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Derekflint
    replied

I had a few Commando titles, maybe even a Starblazer or two.
    But the ones I can't find anything on were a couple of secret agent ones that had three or four stories each, it was either Secret Agent or Top Secret - the hero was a former test pilot that had been set up to take a fall for the destruction of a supersonic airliner.

Leave a comment:

• Flash Gordon
    replied

I know I had DeathMatch and TerrorCity aswell

Leave a comment:

• Flash Gordon
    replied

Whoa. There it is, and with many other familliar faces! Thanks lads

Leave a comment:

• weetoon
    replied

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
    The Nearly Man, FPSM issue 5, August 1986:

Football Picture Story Monthly 1986 - 1988

one on ebay right now (no photo, but says issue 5, & seller has 100% feedback):

Football picture story monthly magazine No 5 on eBay, also Football, Sports, Magazines, Books, Comics Magazines (end time 02-Apr-09 23:45:44 BST)

Dave
    Your knowledge is second to none.

Did not know about the football books probably just as well as I would have bought them at the time and be annoyed now that I had not kept them.

Leave a comment:

• rossobantam
    replied

The Nearly Man, FPSM issue 5, August 1986:

Football Picture Story Monthly 1986 - 1988

one on ebay right now (no photo, but says issue 5, & seller has 100% feedback):

Football picture story monthly magazine No 5 on eBay, also Football, Sports, Magazines, Books, Comics Magazines (end time 02-Apr-09 23:45:44 BST)

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Flash Gordon
    replied

One day I will find "The Nearly Man":cry:

Leave a comment:

• rossobantam
    replied

the BPL link I included above has a photo/description for EVERY Commando produced, back to it's start in 1961

Leave a comment:

Working...
X