Isle of Wight 1986

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isle of Wight 1986

Did Anyone else holiday as s kid on the Isle of Wight during the 1980s? I went with my primary school and a few things have stuck in my memory.

Firstly, I remember building sandcastles on the beach before the evening meal. Lots of fun.

Second, I remember a theme/adventure park we visited, at which I won £15 on one of the slot machines. (Lol That's not something you ever forget as a kid.) I'm not sure which adventure park this was, so if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Thirdly, those damn cable chairs that go over the cliff and on to the beach. Geez where they scary! At one point I was absolutely sure I was gonna hit one of those large metal pylons. Never again. The coloured sand on the cliffs was nice though.

Lastly I recall doing a five mile hike in the pouring rain from... Well, to be perfectly honest, I can't remember where we went from, or too! I do remember getting to the destination and drying my socks on a radiator with 20 other sodden classmates. Lol I not even sure how we got back!

Still, happy days.

Never in the 80s but my wife and i went in 2018 to Shanklin on a national express 3 day break, it was lovely and so was the weather surprisingly
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
      Never in the 80s but my wife and i went in 2018 to Shanklin on a national express 3 day break, it was lovely and so was the weather surprisingly
      Sounds great. Not sure if I went to Shanklin. I would like to go back to the Isle in general one day, though.

Comment

I went twice in the 70s, once with family, and once with my school.

Comment

Originally posted by I. R. Fincham View Post
          I went twice in the 70s, once with family, and once with my school.
          Where did you go? Did you have the boat trip to the needles?

Comment

I visited it myself in 2006.
            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieBrown View Post
              Did Anyone else holiday as s kid on the Isle of Wight during the 1980s? I went with my primary school and a few things have stuck in my memory.

Firstly, I remember building sandcastles on the beach before the evening meal. Lots of fun.

Second, I remember a theme/adventure park we visited, at which I won £15 on one of the slot machines. (Lol That's not something you ever forget as a kid.) I'm not sure which adventure park this was, so if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Thirdly, those damn cable chairs that go over the cliff and on to the beach. Geez where they scary! At one point I was absolutely sure I was gonna hit one of those large metal pylons. Never again. The coloured sand on the cliffs was nice though.

Lastly I recall doing a five mile hike in the pouring rain from... Well, to be perfectly honest, I can't remember where we went from, or too! I do remember getting to the destination and drying my socks on a radiator with 20 other sodden classmates. Lol I not even sure how we got back!

Still, happy days.
              I first went to the Isle of Wight back in 1970 and have been a regular visitor ever since! The caravans in those days were fairly basic by todays standards, toilet/shower blocks, standpipes from which you'd fill your plastic water container and stick it a cupboard directly below the sink, a basic pump action tap siphoned up the water. All quite rudimentary but fun. I think your theme park was probably Blackgang Chine, It was all very 'piratey' when I last visited but that was an awfully long time ago, I think there have been some issues with coastal erosion and some of the park area is now under the sea.
              The coloured sands came from Alum Bay, the glass souvenirs filled with coloured layers of sand were on sale all over the Island although now only for sale at the Alum Bay visitors centre I think. At one time you could gather your own sand at the foot of the cliffs but due to the damage it caused that's no longer permitted. There used to be a really spooky wax museum at Brading, sadly Osbourne Smith's closed down about ten years ago.

Shanklin Chine is well worth a couple of visits, during the day and after dark when its very attractively illuminated. There's plenty to explore over The Solent, something for most tastes, our last trip was about two years ago when I took my son camping. I'd up sticks and move tomorrow if I could.....dream on matey!

Oh...mustn't forget to give the red squirrels a mention

Comment

Shanlin chine is lovely, for those not familiar i would best describe it as a kinda huge outdoor greenhouse, the paths are lined with giant plants and theres a beautiful waterfall.....recommended !
                Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Couldn't agree more tex! Very lush and green, not to mention some interesting historical things to see en route, old stocks, a small cannon for example...and you get to exit by the beach.
                  There's a very pleasant clifftop walk from Shanklin to Sandown as well.

Comment

I went on a coach holiday to Isle of Wight in 1983 or 1984, I believe we stayed at Sandown. I remember lots of pleasant villages, Shanklin, the Needles and also seeing HMP Parkhurst. It was a very enjoyable week.
                    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
                      I went on a coach holiday to Isle of Wight in 1983 or 1984, I believe we stayed at Sandown. I remember lots of pleasant villages, Shanklin, the Needles and also seeing HMP Parkhurst. It was a very enjoyable week.
                      Now that must have been the highlight - seeing HMP Parkhurst! Most tourists often see living organisms in cages, albeit visiting a zoo.

Think of the trip a bit like a "don't break the law" lecture - I bet that it works most of the time!
                      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                      X